First straight shave

1335634226573.jpg

Well it arrived this morning so it just had to be done , I actually felt a little scared , I lathered up in the usual way and started on both my cheeks trying to find the angle that felt right I only went wtg , that seemed to go ok so I also did the neck area as well again only wtg I felt that was enough to start with so I finished the shave of using my slant bar , I don't know if this is the correct way to start but I feel I should introduce the straight into my normal routine a bit at a time !! but anyway no blood lost yet but It did feel good , I stroped the razor after drying it with some toilet paper I gave it about 30 strokes , all in all a nice first outing with it

Steve.

2nd shave

2nd shave tonight ventured a bit further this time and tackled the lip & chin area collected a few nicks , still working wtg , the shave felt a little like it was pulling tonight after the last shave I stroped it 30 cycles do I need to do more than that ?

Regards Steve

theranger2000 said:
2nd shave tonight ventured a bit further this time and tackled the lip & chin area collected a few nicks , still working wtg , the shave felt a little like it was pulling tonight after the last shave I stroped it 30 cycles do I need to do more than that ?

Regards Steve

sounds like your lather was a little dry.

could also be you haven't soaked your face enough as well

shanky887614 said:
theranger2000 said:

Regards Steve

sounds like your lather was a little dry.

could also be you haven't soaked your face enough as well

Angle is important too. Experience will get you used to the best angle for this razor and your face. Well done for taking the first step! :icon_razz:

Could be a number of reasons why it was pulling...
Dry Lather/bad prep ( as already mentioned )
Poor stropping- Take your time ensuring the blade lays flat for each stroke ( spine and cutting edge both touching the strop ). It should almost feel like the blade is being sucked to the strop. I usually do 50/60 strokes.
Poor technique- Keep the blade almost flat to your face at first, approx one spines width from your face. This will also reduce the risk of cuts.

Keep doing what your doing, Only shave where you feel confident in doing so and finish off with your old method. Shave a bit more next time but only if you feel confident enough to try.
Remember Slow and steady wins the race!

wow thats a lovely looking razor.its best just to take your time, and not expect to run before you can walk.

Its been said on here before that the learning curve is quite steep keep doing what you are until you get more confident.

You will also need to buy several more razors :icon_razz: a stack of soaps and creams
pre shave ect until you find the right fit

Thanks for all the comments and advice I think you all mentioned something totally relevant to my experience with my first couple of straight shaves , I take it all on board shanky887614 I think the lather does have to be slightly more moist ,Pigcat finding the correct angle seems to be harder with a straight than with a DE razor something I feel will come with practice , England I did feel the sucking to the strop thing a couple of times tonight that's a good tip to know , tuftey Thanks tonight I ordered a vintage Kropp from The Strop shop just from the nostalgic Point of view of course :icon_razz:
I have to say welcome to my new obsession !!

It's a strange adventure, isn't it? Just go slow. Doing the parts of your face that your comfortable with is fine. Just keep reading and studying and trying.

I bet you will come to love that kropp It's good to try one or two different makes as you will find they do give a slightly different shave.
And as they say a change is as good as a rest. Neil's work is top notch

Johnus said:
It's a strange adventure, isn't it? Just go slow. Doing the parts of your face that your comfortable with is fine. Just keep reading and studying and trying.

tuftey said:
I bet you will come to love that kropp It's good to try one or two different makes as you will find they do give a slightly different shave.
And as they say a change is as good as a rest. Neil's work is top notch

Johnus: your right their it is a strange adventure but I love a challenge and a challenge at the moment it certainly is !!

tuftey: I told myself just get one razor and get used to it before you buying another straght razor , did I listen to myself no , but it did look like a lovely razor and as you say a change is as good as a rest .

Braver than me - but I keep wanting to give it a try and will probably eventually cave in and have a go - your softly softly approach sounds like the way to go.

hi theranger2000
i myself am starting in the world of straight shaves. all i do is the same, just take it slow and do more when it feels right.
work for me aswell. good luck and try not to spend to much!

Nice razor,outstanding to see you having a go with the straght razor especially a Spartacus, that's a beast of a razor,good luck with it, try not to be intimidated by it. Just take your time,try a shallow angle say 15/20 degrees see if that helps

Back
Top Bottom