First straight shave

5th shave

Today I had my 5th straight shave , I did the first pass WTG with no problems this felt good so I decided to try a XTG pass starting on my cheeks working towards the ears , I went down as far as the jaw line and stopped , I then did the top lip the way explained in an earlier post by stretching the lip I ended up with one very small nick in the corner of my lip all in all very very pleased , John thanks to you and all the other members for all the tips

Ps if this is getting boring please tell me to stop

Steve.

Mikael said:
Hey Uncle D! Now when you mention it - the guy needs some coffee (just had one and it was a lovely shot, please see below)! Cheers mate! :D
013700x488.jpg

That does look good Mikael , but then all your photos do I can't help but notice

Steve

Gogser said:
Certainly not boring me ranger, I'm trying to pluck up the courage to give it a go myself. :blush:

Hi Gogser thanks , from what I hear about the single edge Schick injectors
Your nearly their :icon_razz:

You know you right about the hard water, I noticed a layer of hard crud on my rolls razor this morning, I think the le dandy will get an outing tomorrow and see what happens with it,

Shave No 6

My best straight shave to date well chuffed , 1 pass wtg and 1 pass xtg followed by atg on the neck area holding the blade flat to the neck , my shave isn't as smooth as shaving with my slant bar yet but it's getting their , I made a change to the lather tonight and made it a bit more slack than I normally do I think this has helped as I can go over the same area a bit more than normal finished the shave with a splash of thayers lavender and then some Trumpers bay rum .

Steve

Outstanding, looks like your getting the hang of it a big congrats to you:icon_cool:

John said:
Outstanding, looks like your getting the hang of it a big congrats to you:icon_cool:

Don't forget the coffee ;-)

John said:

John said:

Don't forget the coffee ;-)

Mikael said:
^^ ha ha, John ... Check out todays SOTD (soon), that coffee was for the ranger :)

John thanks for your help I think I need to get my stroping sorted out now

Mikael thanks for the coffee :icon_razz:

Whats that, 2 weeks ish? When I do eventually have to scratch that itch I confidently predict it will take a lot longer than that for me to move from doing the flats of my cheeks. Its especially distressing when Mikael puts a load of straights up for sale now as well, my only saving grace is the small straight I especially like hes put up with the comment wouldn't suit a newbie!!

How much reading, watching and asking did you do before you took the plunge? I'm wondering if a feather artist is easier or harder to learn with or just different

The reasons I decided to start with the Artist were threefold:

1. The proguard blades were getting some good mentions, from Konstantinos and Ian, and so I was less afraid than the reputation of the razor for killing the unwary would have otherwise made me - with the guard blades it would take real determination to cut yourself deeply.

2. I am the kind of man who, before satnavs, would get within a mile of his destination and then turn around convinced he'd overshot - a real second-guesser. If I tried to learn to straight-shave and straight-strop at the same time I would be paralysed by uncertainty as to whether the blade was sharp enough. With the Artist Club that's easy: it is plenty sharp for the first ten days, at least, on a blade.

3. You can practice and get a feel for it with no blade in, completely safely, before you start "for real".

The path I took - a month or two with guard blades then on to the regular ones, and dedicating myself to using it solidly for that period - was painless in every sense and other than almost putting the thing in my eye in a bit of inexplicable stupidity it's been unscary after that first heart-pounding day. I average less blood drawn per day than with my DEs and have actually cut myself only twice and only slightly (enough so that nobody at work noticed), both times through abject idiocy. I would happily recommend it as a stratagem. In fact, I do.

i started with a shavvete simply because i was under 18 at the time

at £10 for brush, soap, razor and blades you dont mind if its not great

grabbed tabac quite soon after though for more than the cost of set and it was a lpt better

your going to scrach that itch sometime, start a post about what your thinking and get some advice, no one will take the piss out of you, we all want to help:idea:

RE: 5th shave

[/color]
theranger2000 said:
Today I had my 5th straight shave , I did the first pass WTG with no problems this felt good so I decided to try a XTG pass starting on my cheeks working towards the ears , I went down as far as the jaw line and stopped , I then did the top lip the way explained in an earlier post by stretching the lip I ended up with one very small nick in the corner of my lip all in all very very pleased , John thanks to you and all the other members for all the tips

Ps if this is getting boring please tell me to stop

Steve.

Does anyone else shave from mouth to ear? I have always gone the other way as this is what the diagrams indicated when I first started witha straight.

That depends on your beard (the way it grows) and how much your skin will tollrate, personally I go from ear across to my lip but only on the second pass,as I know from bitter expreance what can happen :icon_eek: the only thing is to try a bit and see how it goes, if you get iratation then that's a no no for you, don't forget what you have in your hand as well. How are you getting on with the mirror,hand,and blade coordination, it's fun init, I usually find myself shuffiling around to get an eye on my blade, but when I shave near my sideburns my hand blocks my view so I am blind for a few seconds( that's a moment to trust your self ) don't worry you ain't boring the pants off us we like it ,even love it;)

barlines said:
Whats that, 2 weeks ish? When I do eventually have to scratch that itch I confidently predict it will take a lot longer than that for me to move from doing the flats of my cheeks. Its especially distressing when Mikael puts a load of straights up for sale now as well, my only saving grace is the small straight I especially like hes put up with the comment wouldn't suit a newbie!!

How much reading, watching and asking did you do before you took the plunge? I'm wondering if a feather artist is easier or harder to learn with or just different

Hi barlines your right to get to this stage now has taken me 2 weeks , but i'm a long way from giving myself the perfect shave with a straight , i think thats going to take some time it all has to come as second nature so for the moment i'm happy with the fact that i'm getting to the stage that i can complete two and a half passes ,it may not be the closest shave i've ever had but certainly the most rewarding.

As for reading and watching , this forum is helping me lots and of course You Tube i can only aspire to be as good as this http://youtu.be/eqCgaw5ioAk

Steve

Back
Top Bottom