Favourite cheese

Brianpilman said:
Some local farmhouse cheddar and Shropshire blues from just over the county border to me. Gorgeous taste and texture and always good to buy local
Shropshire blue originated in Scotland . Now made elsewhere but not in Shropshire.
Yes ,i like it too. found this out in quiz.

Hiya,

My taste runs from the very mild to aged, but not runny cheeses. I was just thinking about the Saturday local farmer's market in town and the artisan cheese guy from Wisconsin. That's the state next to Illinois and it takes me less than an hour of highway driving to get the outskirts.

This state is known for it's cheese places. Residents are called Cheeseheads. Seriously. They know their damn cheese up in that area! Also, all the women weigh at least 250 pounds. The men are mostly on the heavy side....not as light as the little ladies.

When I buy something from that market, it's usually real old or real fresh. Not much in the middle. He offers two day old cheddar cheese curds, which look odd and squeak when you bite em. Really.....it's a true thing. Texture kinda like mozzarella.... very mild/fresh and healthy tasting with just a hint of saltiness. Nice, and very possible to eat a bunch at one time. Like popcorn. I will also sometimes buy a 3-4 year old piece of his aged version. He sometimes has others even older, with a parmesan like texture but they aren't for me.

Same thing with Swiss like cheeses, from the very mild and sweet such as Jarlsberg to some cave aged Emmentaler. Right now in the fridge from the cheese guy, there's some 3 year old Swiss that is great. The kind with those tiny grains that crunch slightly as you chew. The sort where the oil or water or whatever it is leaks from the holes. Whew doggies, it's got some bite but very tasty and intense Swiss flavor.

I will put a chunk on a plate and microwave it 5-6 seconds till just as it starts to get real soft...brings out all the cheeziness. Some french bread and fruit and done deal.

Also, there is nothing like some fresh Cheshire........pretty amazing stuff as long as it's not old. Great texture with that.

Martin

Martin that sounds like a treat (not the light ladies but the cheese). Anyone have any favourite combos for fondue? Or just the generic shop bought packs?

Nishy said:
Martin that sounds like a treat (not the light ladies but the cheese).

In the 60s, the drinking age for beer in Wisconsin was two years younger than Illinois. Yep, it was only 19 up there.

Back in the day, some of us would go up the highway maybe 60 miles and stop at a famous place selling cheese and also the joint was a big bar.....all in one place. One of the beers on tap was Lowenbrau Dark, which was pretty amazing stuff.

This was served in liter and half liter sizes, with some cheese dips and crackers on the bar being passed around.

Made for a nice Saturday or Sunday,

Martin

Oh yeah, here: http://www.wisconsingoods.com/Foamation-C67.aspx

Re: RE: Favourite cheese

dodgy said:
Nishy said:
Martin that sounds like a treat (not the light ladies but the cheese).

In the 60s, the drinking age for beer in Wisconsin was two years younger that Illinois. Yep, it was only 19 up there.

Back in the day, some of us would go up the highway maybe 60 miles and stop at a famous place selling cheese and also the joint was a big bar.....all in one place. One of the beers on tap was Lowenbrau Dark, which was pretty amazing stuff.

This was served in liter and half liter sizes, with some cheese dips and crackers on the bar being passed around.

Made for a nice Sunday,

Martin

Oh yeah, here: http://www.wisconsingoods.com/Foamation-C67.aspx
Think I've seen this on TV, the sombrero hat rings a bell, best cheese I've tasted on these shores is from cheddar gorge, no hats there just caves and cheese. Perhaps we could get a PIF going on one of those sombrero hats ;)

Nishy said:
www.wisconsingoods.com/Foamation-C67.aspx
Think I've seen this on TV, Perhaps we could get a PIF going on one of those sombrero hats ;)
[/quote]

Personally, I have the 'Fez' version and find it makes me look mysterious!

Attachments

• FEZ.jpg
    FEZ.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 11
Re: RE: Favourite cheese

dodgy said:
Nishy said:
www.wisconsingoods.com/Foamation-C67.aspx
Think I've seen this on TV, Perhaps we could get a PIF going on one of those sombrero hats ;)

Personally, I have the 'Fez' version and find it makes me look mysterious!
[/quote]
Wow that is impressive

I'm a bona fide cheese addict - love the stuff in any of it's forms, with the only exception of it having fruit in it. That's just wrong on so many levels.

A strong flavoured, unpasteurised morbier is just divine!

I've just unpacked the latest delivery from newly discovered Stamford Cheese Cellar. They have many gorgeous cheeses, which I'm working my way through. Their best sellers are best sellers for very good reasons!!

You order and pay on line, get nothing to confirm and then a few days later, the cheese turns up by courier. Best to make a note if you are anal, like me.

As for the cheese? Vunderbar! Wasn't knocked out by Stinking Bishop, as the smell suggested I might be. Keep in an air tight container by itself in the fridge.

One for you, Jamie - Little Black Bomber by The Snowdonian Cheese Company.

During the long, hot summer of 76 I spent a while working in a cheese warehouse. The job entailed unpacking 40lb blocks of Cheddar and repacking in M&S branded boxes, as apparently in those days, nothing went into the shops without their name on it. The cheese itself was sealed in plastic, but every now & then we would find one that had been damaged and had started to go off, so the standard procedure was to cut a slab from the good parts and stop for a munch before binning the rest.
Not only was the warehouse nice and cool during the hottest summer I can remember, but I had a diet of a couple of pounds of good quality cheddar every day. Taking cheese home was regarded as theft and a sackable offence, but not if it was in your stomach! Rubbish job, but great perks...

+1 on the Little Black Bomber. Absolutely gorgeous stuff, found in good deli's & online. The nicest strong cheddar i've found in most supermarkets is Colliers. It's welsh and is in a black wrapper. Funny how they're both welsh !

Back
Top Bottom