Favourite cheese

I love pretty much all cheese!

Very hard to pick a favourite but I do have particular weakness for cheeses from Sharpham which is a vineyard and dairy just outside Totnes.

Always fancied trying 'Stinking Bishop' when I worked in the Forest of Dean but never got round to trying it.

Stinking Bishop is a surprisingly nice cheese considering its name..not too strong..very nice flavour.
only problem I have with it, is its a devil of a job getting rid of the smell of it off my fingers

For general chomping it is Jarlsberg and English cheddar. For an indulgence it is Stilton and Brie. At the moment I'm enjoying a nice chunk of Jarlsberg, sans crackers, pickles or anything else that would adulterate its lovely flavour.

Well the smell of Stilton put me right off many moons ago. I use to work for a large supermarket chain, back in the 80's. Boy did it stink especially when you had a pile of whole Stilton to portion, half moon and quarter. No gloves so your hands stank for ages too.

This was back in the day when branches had to do this in store. I use to be a dab hand at making a cheese wire too. There was also some cheese which was covered in raisins, can't recall it's name and Brie, both stank to high heaven. The cheese wire also came in handy for cutting the mould off out of date cheese, re wrapping and dating and putting it back on display ! Oh yes a common practice.

Good cheddar with those crunchy bits of salt is nice. That said it wouldn't surprise me if a while back those were the batches that were rejected in the factory for not being right - now it's sold at a premium to the standard stuff...

I only started enjoying stilton a couple of years ago. I like it with quince jelly and crackers. Aldi stilton is very nice.

And finally an expensive treat is Saint Vernier which is sold in Waitrose. It's a soft cheese, a little like camambert, 'wine washed' apparently! :s

joe mcclaine said:
he pronounces Moet like Mo-ay rather than the correct pronunciation ... as in Poet.

Yes, he also says Choritho.

What exactly is wrong with pronouncing a word as they do in its native country? I think you are probably as inversely snobby as they are snobby.

Even though Cathedral city extra mature would be high on the everyday list, If I were making a nice salad my very favourite would be char grilled Haloumi on a bed of thinly sliced Beef stock tomatoes totally delicious could eat the whole plate to myself.

Re: RE: Favourite cheese

pugh-the-special-one said:
Even though Cathedral city extra mature would be high on the everyday list, If I were making a nice salad my very favourite would be char grilled Haloumi on a bed of thinly sliced Beef stock tomatoes totally delicious could eat the whole plate to myself.
What's the best way to get the overly salted flavour out of haloumi? Or am I just buying a rubbish type?

No you are not buying rubbish you can wash some of the salt out pat it dry with kitchen towel, then slice it into 5mm rectangular pieces, then what I usually do is get my cast iron griddle pan quite hot put a little plain olive oil on the Haloumi cook quickly till you have nice defined grill marks both sides of the cheese then place them on top of the Beef stock tomatoes which have been arranged in a circular fashion, and you really want the salty edge from the Haloumi as this superbly compliments the sweet and beautiful texture of the tomatoes.

Re: RE: Favourite cheese

pugh-the-special-one said:
No you are not buying rubbish you can wash some of the salt out pat it dry with kitchen towel, then slice it into 5mm rectangular pieces, then what I usually do is get my cast iron griddle pan quite hot put a little plain olive oil on the Haloumi cook quickly till you have nice defined grill marks both sides of the cheese then place them on top of the Beef stock tomatoes which have been arranged in a circular fashion, and you really want the salty edge from the Haloumi as this superbly compliments the sweet and beautiful texture of the tomatoes.
Ok, I think the salt content is a little too high for me, I have paired it with tomatoes and splashed a bit of balsamic vinegar on top too. Baked, grilled, pan fried and bbq but still not too my liking lol. Oh well plenty more cheese in the cow so to say

Back
Top Bottom