Exclusive: A hands-on, first look at the Blackland Blackbird razor

The upcoming 85 mm handle and the OC version of the Blackbird were announced in Blacklands newsletter about two weeks ago.
Indeed this is interesting IMO. The Blackbird is a great razor a Shane is a true gentleman to deal with. I am looking forward to the OC, happy that Blackland is able to add the OC to the range.

Best Regards
Marco

The upcoming 85 mm handle and the OC version of the Blackbird were announced in Blacklands newsletter about two weeks ago.
Indeed this is interesting IMO. The Blackbird is a great razor a Shane is a true gentleman to deal with. I am looking forward to the OC, happy that Blackland is able to add the OC to the range.

Best Regards
Marco

AND that he's allowing people to buy the OC base plate as a separate part.
Love it when vendors goes all modular :)

Are you still thinking Octoberish for the OC base plate? :)

Yes. So the deal is that I'm waiting on the final samples from my machinists, but squeezing in time on the required equipment is tough. However, I already have the equipment slotted for my run in mid/late October so the OC will make the production run. I just need some extra time that wasn't planned in advance(and is now filled by other projects). So I have to wait for the final OC. Getting it into production isn't a problem. The issue is with getting the finalized product early enough to allow ample time to do pre-orders.

Tl;dr: OC will ship with the rest of the parts, but pre-orders will start later because I'm waiting for the final samples. Shipping isn't delayed- pre-orders are.

Yes. So the deal is that I'm waiting on the final samples from my machinists, but squeezing in time on the required equipment is tough. However, I already have the equipment slotted for my run in mid/late October so the OC will make the production run. I just need some extra time that wasn't planned in advance(and is now filled by other projects). So I have to wait for the final OC. Getting it into production isn't a problem. The issue is with getting the finalized product early enough to allow ample time to do pre-orders.

Tl;dr: OC will ship with the rest of the parts, but pre-orders will start later because I'm waiting for the final samples. Shipping isn't delayed- pre-orders are.

TL;DR: Great! :)

This is something I should have asked before placing my order but......

I've read in a few places about drag being a problem for some or at least being apparent with the Black Oxide and machined finishes. Now I did read (before ordering) that the Black Oxide finish did cause drag, hence me ordering the machined finish. I've now read that the Machined finish causes drag too.

If this is the case I'll have to contact Shane to change my order. A pain for Shane but it's not cheap, especially with the fees on top so I want to get it right first time.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of the various finishes and your thoughts? Is the drag minimal on the Machined finish? Is the Polished finish slippery?

One last question. Does anyone know the price of the OC yet?

Cheers
Rob

I have the original Kickstarter Blackbird with the natural finish stainless head and black handle. I didn't find the head finish especially draggy, but, as I had to make some minor modifications (incorporated in subsequent releases), I also polished up the top cap myself.
I can't say that it made a noticeable difference in use. My own view is that, unless the finish is really rough, and/or the soap in use is below par in the "glide" department, most stainless razors work pretty well; matt, polished or machine finish. In my case, I guess any finish preference comes down to my own views on looks and aesthetics; with some razors looking better with one finish than another. That why I went for a two-tone Blackbird.
It's a superb razor, one way or t'other.

I have the original Kickstarter Blackbird with the natural finish stainless head and black handle. I didn't find the head finish especially draggy, but, as I had to make some minor modifications (incorporated in subsequent releases), I also polished up the top cap myself.
I can't say that it made a noticeable difference in use. My own view is that, unless the finish is really rough, and/or the soap in use is below par in the "glide" department, most stainless razors work pretty well; matt, polished or machine finish. In my case, I guess any finish preference comes down to my own views on looks and aesthetics; with some razors looking better with one finish than another. That why I went for a two-tone Blackbird.
It's a superb razor, one way or t'other.

Thank you for your reply. That's good news. I'll stick with the Machined Finish.

Back
Top Bottom