EDC

For some Hello-Kitty reason I have decided my keychain is not complete without yet another trinket on it...and this one is a mini/micro knife....(also sometimes referred to as a neck knife - but these are often smaller than those Altoid sized ones).

I saw these type of knives starting to pop up more and more frequently on Instagram a few months ago...handcrafted beautiful pieces that often sold for $100+ Miniature axes, knives, choppers...you name it. I saw and I liked - even though I'm not completely sure why. Why does a grown man accessorize his keychain? I guess because it's fun and you just never know when you need to lend a smurf a knife! That's why!

Anywho...being relatively frugal I decided to track down some less costly options that still looked good and was of high quality. I also wanted to buy from a domestic (to me) seller if possible.

Took me a few weeks but I finally stumbled upon a vendor that also happens to be a miniature knife collector.
He/she has a friend that hand makes these little knives and the benefits with these compared to other I found are;

a) The ones that have Damascus steel blades are actually Damascus steel and not some painted squiggly lines on it,
b) Most of the work is by hand and these are actually forged - not stamped. There's some photos of the workshop I could get if I wanted,
c) The knives are small but will hold a good edge (many comes with a mini sharpening rod). Some with a leather sheath.
d) 256 Layer (1095/15N20) Steel Blade Oil Tempered to 58-60
e) Price. Some of them are sold as BIN for $20-40/knife. Some are auctions and sell for under $15

The Damascus steel used for the blade of the knifes is 176-256 (1095/15N20) layers of low carbon steel and high carbon mixture welded / forged / hammered several time. The Hardness of blade is up to 60 hrc (steel blade tempered) on the Rockwell scale. It takes the maker between three and five hours to make one of the knives.
* I have no idea what most of those terms and values mean but, hey, sounds good. *

They are 'crude' enough looking that I think they could pass as folk art. Kinda.

The downside:
Now obviously selling for about $15 on average these are not hand crafted in some artisan by-the-creek forge in the US. I assume the maker is in Pakistan or maybe India but I'm rather willing to take a gamble on one and see how they are.
The vendor was easy to communicate with, seems to be passionate about knives and said that I'd be amazed by the quality and edge. We shall see...

Now I just need to figure out what I want...one with leather sheath..or a folding one...or just risk that I might stab myself in the pocket with a 3-4cm blade :)

Comes with a leather sheath:
s-l1600.jpg

Heck there's even a few 7cm battle axes...
s-l1600.jpg

Just about 5cm in total. The blade itself about 2.5-3cm.
The auction for this one is at about $2 right now.
s-l1600.jpg

Believe it or not..but this one actually does fold :)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

One of my favorites, I rather like the size and design here:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
For some Hello-Kitty reason I have decided my keychain is not complete without yet another trinket on it...and this one is a mini/micro knife....(also sometimes referred to as a neck knife - but these are often smaller than those Altoid sized ones).

I saw these type of knives starting to pop up more and more frequently on Instagram a few months ago...handcrafted beautiful pieces that often sold for $100+ Miniature axes, knives, choppers...you name it. I saw and I liked - even though I'm not completely sure why. Why does a grown man accessorize his keychain? I guess because it's fun and you just never know when you need to lend a smurf a knife! That's why!

Anywho...being relatively frugal I decided to track down some less costly options that still looked good and was of high quality. I also wanted to buy from a domestic (to me) seller if possible.

Took me a few weeks but I finally stumbled upon a vendor that also happens to be a miniature knife collector.
He/she has a friend that hand makes these little knives and the benefits with these compared to other I found are;

a) The ones that have Damascus steel blades are actually Damascus steel and not some painted squiggly lines on it,
b) Most of the work is by hand and these are actually forged - not stamped. There's some photos of the workshop I could get if I wanted,
c) The knives are small but will hold a good edge (many comes with a mini sharpening rod). Some with a leather sheath.
d) 256 Layer (1095/15N20) Steel Blade Oil Tempered to 58-60
e) Price. Some of them are sold as BIN for $20-40/knife. Some are auctions and sell for under $15

The Damascus steel used for the blade of the knifes is 176-256 (1095/15N20) layers of low carbon steel and high carbon mixture welded / forged / hammered several time. The Hardness of blade is up to 60 hrc (steel blade tempered) on the Rockwell scale. It takes the maker between three and five hours to make one of the knives.
* I have no idea what most of those terms and values mean but, hey, sounds good. *

They are 'crude' enough looking that I think they could pass as folk art. Kinda.

The downside:
Now obviously selling for about $15 on average these are not hand crafted in some artisan by-the-creek forge in the US. I assume the maker is in Pakistan or maybe India but I'm rather willing to take a gamble on one and see how they are.
The vendor was easy to communicate with, seems to be passionate about knives and said that I'd be amazed by the quality and edge. We shall see...

Now I just need to figure out what I want...one with leather sheath..or a folding one...or just risk that I might stab myself in the pocket with a 3-4cm blade :)

Comes with a leather sheath:
s-l1600.jpg

Heck there's even a few 7cm battle axes...
s-l1600.jpg

Just about 5cm in total. The blade itself about 2.5-3cm.
The auction for this one is at about $2 right now.
s-l1600.jpg

Believe it or not..but this one actually does fold :)
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

One of my favorites, I rather like the size and design here:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Those mini choppers look fantastic. What a find!

Last edited:
But you will in time.

Had this pop through the door today to add to the EDC Keychain - Tritium Vial

View attachment 22039

Isotope 360 Fob

View attachment 22040

I checked with Ryan and Popov and he is not able to, due to workload, take on a new project like an EDC carry. He might however be coming out with a new keychain option.

I emailed the other manufacturer the specs for the Stubby to see if they could design something that would hold it along with some other stuff :)

Btw, very nice Trit vial! I like the design quite a bit. I'm still going back and forth on the brass one I can pick up. We shall see.
Is Isotope 360 the regular one that gives 12-years-or-so of light?

Its two separates. The Isotope Fob is 360 as in all round visual, there is one that is called '323' Fob that doesn't have the allrounf visual but is still the same price. The small Trit came in a plastic vial and you build it yourself. Slip in the vial, pull in the rubber plug and attach the keyring. 12 years of light fantastic

Can't get enough EDC?

Here's some podcasts on the topic to take you through the day;

Gear Geeks:
"Real world advice on EDC blades and flashlights from guys who actually use the products they speak about. http://www.geargeekslive.com/category/gear-geeks-live-podcast
The latest episode even talks about a spinner, etc
(Their RSS feed: http://www.geargeekslive.com/category/gear-geeks-live-podcast/feed)

Ten Minute Gadget Cast
Less than 10 minutes quick shows on gadgets, EDC and stuff
http://www.tenminutegadget.com/
(ep 3 and 7 are EDC specials)

Honorary mention:
Art Of Manliness:
General man/guy stuff and topics
http://www.artofmanliness.com/category/podcast/

Growing up, as I did, in Glasgow ' pocket vomit ' would have a wholly alternative meaning. It's one of the reasons we don't hang our jackets over the backs if chairs in pubs.

JohnnyO. o/
Ha the tails from the bars of Glasgow. Whereabouts are you? I'm 10mins from Braehead

Ha the tails from the bars of Glasgow. Whereabouts are you? I'm 10mins from Braehead

I grew up in the whiteinch area of Glasgow and roamed and pillaged around there, scotstoun and partick before leaving to seek alternative, though not necessarily greener pastures in Liverpool in the 1960s. Life has moved on since those halycon days.

JohnnyO. o/

Can't get enough EDC?

Here's some podcasts on the topic to take you through the day;

Gear Geeks:
"Real world advice on EDC blades and flashlights from guys who actually use the products they speak about. http://www.geargeekslive.com/category/gear-geeks-live-podcast
The latest episode even talks about a spinner, etc
(Their RSS feed: http://www.geargeekslive.com/category/gear-geeks-live-podcast/feed)

Ten Minute Gadget Cast
Less than 10 minutes quick shows on gadgets, EDC and stuff
http://www.tenminutegadget.com/
(ep 3 and 7 are EDC specials)

Honorary mention:
Art Of Manliness:
General man/guy stuff and topics
http://www.artofmanliness.com/category/podcast/

Thanks DB, those were interesting. It was a tad hard work listening to the podcasters though as they sounded like they were doped up (down?). Maybe it's the modern way of talking in America - maybe I'm too old :) They did spend a chunk of time discussing addicts and crims though.
Anyway a quick x1.25 speed setting picked up the pace a bit.
It was refreshing to hear him talk about reasonably priced gadgets (e.g. flashlight for $20) instead of mega-bucks for everything.
I've still got the Art of Manliness to listen to to keep me going but think that will be my fix of EDC for a while.

Back
Top Bottom