Custom handles

Mine arrived today 100mm x 16mm

10099357966_30c9a1ac5c.jpg

10098751983_b8371b4948.jpg

Having had some issues with my lathe I've had to make some repairs. My apologies to those waiting on handles to be delivered !

Fortunately I've also received some new tooling and have come up with a new design.

ma4ugu9a.jpg

After a very productive couple of days I've finished a few of your handles, still some more to come though.

Enjoy !

Ryan :
uga7a9ys.jpg

Gairdner:
avama2yd.jpg

Rokdog:
y2yjuhas.jpg

Tadpole:
6u3y8ape.jpg

I like the proportions of the Tadpole.

Now, a very naive question from a non-technical lad. How, in layman's terms do you achive knurling on a piece of metal that rotating at whatever speed?

What I'm failing to comprehend is why you don't und up with a smooth piece of metal.

The diamond pattern (knurling) is formed by clamping hardened steel rollers around the piece whilst it turns slowly.
If you're interested type 'knurling' into youtube and you'll see how it's done.
It's difficult on stainless though as stainless is very tough.

... these really are lovely. I hope it is not presumptuous to ask but would it be possible for you to do me a fencing grip styled handle?

What I have in mind is what is called the French grip with a pommel. I like long handles, so something close to the long handle that comes with the Merkur 23C would be ideal. I think it's around 100mm long and perhaps 10mm in diameter. Of the length, the final quarter (25mm ish) should be the pommel.

French grips for fencing tend to be "handed" - left or right, and so appear to have a curve to them. I'd want a simple straight handle, concave tip and knurling down the length (just like the tadpole) and then a slightly bulbous pommel with a narrow strip of knurling.

... this is the pommel I have in mind:

fencing_foil_pommels_74w.jpg

... and this is what it looks like (for scale) at the end of a French grip:

foilfrench1.JPG

I think a recessed dividing cut would be useful between the handle and the pommel. The pommel should be ever so slightly bulbous, but not overly so. Pretty much like a ball end.

Is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom