Closed Cobra Classic Pass Around - COMPLETE

You chaps and your hammer! I wouldn't advise using the soap I'm going to add to the pass around and then using said hammer. I chose a mallet. A few taps, the blade holder came right off, along with some chrome and what I thought was a shrill cry (perhaps Nico's) ;)

On a serious note it's yard to place this razor. Is it better than Nico's Wolfman, IMO no but it's a different face feel with the SE and the design, can it really be put in the same bracket as a DE? It is the best SE I have used (excluding some straight razors). Certainly a quality piece of kit, just hard to place, probably need to try some more SE razors. The ATT SE should be a good reference point.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well firstly a thank you to Martin for the opportunity.

I shaved one days growth. The razor looks superb, the finish is sterling. I found it to give a very close, comfortable shave. I need to get used to the angles in order to complete the shave in two passes and fully appreciate those points when it felt 'right'.

Similar to a straight razor I used the middle portion of the SE blade (similar to the width of a DE). No blade chatter and a solid edge feel. On occasions I used the entire width of the blade on my cheeks; it felt as though I was shaving with a mach 3, no resistance (guessing due to the SE blade stiffness) or irritation. I would say the face feel is similar to that of a straight razor, but at the angle of a cartridge head. IMO the main difference between this and a straight is with the straight razor I can get closer, however, the only DE that I own that shave as close as the King is my Blackbird. Although the angle was not natural (I haven't used a cartridge razor in years), it was easier to produce than with my experience of the One blade. I also really enjoy the slim head profile. Massive difference. I sold my Mongoose after a few days because of the this, same with the Futur.

So in conclusion, a great, close comfortable shave, that i'm sure will improve, in a year or two of practise, hold tight number 2. The face feel and audible feedback is excellent. It sounds loud and aggressive. It feels efficient and smooth. Very nice indeed. Only issue I had was with loading the blade, it took a few attempts, but at least you can easily see if it is correctly aligned.
All the Hallmarks of an Injector Razor that has a Longer Blade in You're Write Up..Lookin Forward to using the Cobra..Sounds Nice..:)

Billy

All the Hallmarks of an Injector Razor that has a Longer Blade in You're Write Up..Lookin Forward to using the Cobra..Sounds Nice..:)

Billy
I really didn't want to fall down this rabbit hole, but I knew it was inevitable, as I am usually nodding whilst reading your and DB's SE posts.

Another silly question, but is an SE blade and an injector blade effectively the same entity or do you have other SE types. I know you have injector razors but they use the same SE blade as say the Mongoose which isn't an injector razor? I'm guessing the term 'injector' refers to the loading method only.

Yeah..Thats Spot On..An Injector Razor Refers to the Loading System..Injector Blades are the Same as the Feather Pro Blade as Long as they are Shorter..The Cobra has a Head like an Injector for Sure..Most Injectors have that Kinda Head Configuration..Injector blades are Shorter & Loaded by a Magazine..o_O

There are also Gem Blade SEs that of Course take a Gem SE Blade...Different Animal Altogether..There are a Few SEs that take the Feather SE Blade like the OneBlade..:rolleyes:

I use Older SEs that use a Hollow Ground Blade or a Wedge Blade that I Hone & Strop..These are the Dogs Danglies as they are Effectively an SR Hollow Ground Blade that has been Cut Down..;)

Hollow Ground Blade SEs are Worth a 100 SE Razors..:D

Billy

That's interesting, I need to have a proper look at the SE threads. The wedge self hone SE sounds very interesting. Sounds similar to what I prefer; straights with more heft and thicker grinds.

Kind of glad it didn't knock all my DE razors out the park. Still think the Blackbird and ATT give it a good run for its money. But definitely a different feel.

What is really strange is guys talk about picking up a vintage razor and the nostalgia behind it. I cannot relate to this, as when I started shaving it was around 1999 and was using a Gillette or Wilkinson sword cartridge. So using the Cobra is quite nostalgic for me, given the similar razor shape and feel.

I'm sure you will be very pleased with this beauty. It definitely is a lovely razor.

That's interesting, I need to have a proper look at the SE threads. The wedge self hone SE sounds very interesting. Sounds similar to what I prefer; straights with more heft and thicker grinds.

Kind of glad it didn't knock all my DE razors out the park. Still think the Blackbird and ATT give it a good run for its money. But definitely a different feel.

What is really strange is guys talk about picking up a vintage razor and the nostalgia behind it. I cannot relate to this, as when I started shaving it was around 1999 and was using a Gillette or Wilkinson sword cartridge. So using the Cobra is quite nostalgic for me, given the similar razor shape and feel.

I'm sure you will be very pleased with this beauty. It definitely is a lovely razor.

CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher..:p
DSC_0186_zpsaizm7lho.jpg

Another shot..:)
DSC_0183_zpsgjq6stuh.jpg

Hollow ground blade..;)
DSC_0191_zpslddaixjz.jpg

Rolls Razor..:p
DSC_0233_zps7xl0bpyj.jpg

DSC_0235_zps01kwiief.jpg

DSC_0236_zpstb7pjuck.jpg

I have used them All..The Rolls & the CV. Heljestrand are the Cream of the Crop..Forget the Rest..The CV. Heljestrand is Like Aircraft Technology Believe it or Not...See this Thread..:)
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/shaving-with-an-se-wedge-blade.35067/

Billy

You chaps and your hammer! I wouldn't advise using the soap I'm going to add to the pass around and then using said hammer. I chose a mallet. A few taps, the blade holder came right off, along with some chrome and what I thought was a shrill cry (perhaps Nico's) ;)

On a serious note it's yard to place this razor. Is it better than Nico's Wolfman, IMO no but it's a different face feel with the SE and the design, can it really be put in the same bracket as a DE? It is the best SE I have used (excluding some straight razors). Certainly a quality piece of kit, just hard to place, probably need to try some more SE razors. The ATT SE should be a good reference point.

What are your thought on the handle - length and shape?
Personally, I wish the handle was a good 20mm longer and as attractive as the curved shape is...I found it to for some reason making it more difficult to navigate the razor around my face when shifting grip and angles.
I'm sure part of that is just getting used to it though.

CV. Heljestrand Lather Catcher..:p
DSC_0186_zpsaizm7lho.jpg

Another shot..:)
DSC_0183_zpsgjq6stuh.jpg

Hollow ground blade..;)
DSC_0191_zpslddaixjz.jpg

Rolls Razor..:p
DSC_0233_zps7xl0bpyj.jpg

DSC_0235_zps01kwiief.jpg

DSC_0236_zpstb7pjuck.jpg

I have used them All..The Rolls & the CV. Heljestrand are the Cream of the Crop..Forget the Rest..The CV. Heljestrand is Like Aircraft Technology Believe it or Not...See this Thread..:)
http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/shaving-with-an-se-wedge-blade.35067/

Billy

This requires some serious study, I know its probably in the thread but just a quick note, do you hone with something supplied alongside the razor (for this blade) or with an actual Naniwa etc honing stone. If with the latter, any particular grit and any evident damage to the surface of the stone?

EDIT: Just got it

Last edited:
What are your thought on the handle - length and shape?
Personally, I wish the handle was a good 20mm longer and as attractive as the curved shape is...I found it to for some reason making it more difficult to navigate the razor around my face when shifting grip and angles.
I'm sure part of that is just getting used to it though.

Yep pretty spot on DB, only difference I didn't have an issue with the length. I do prefer the shorter Atlas handle to my Kronos, especially when dealing with stiffer blades. The shape whist beautifully engineered, as you mention, does take some getting used to. On the cheeks its perfect (north to south) as you can literally plane down on the surface. under the chin and on the neck requires a different grip and some pressure. First use and all that, i'm sure angling will improve over time.
The balance is superb, weight distribution feels good and naturally the razor feels solid.

This requires some serious study, I know its probably in the thread but just a quick note, do you hone with something supplied alongside the razor (for this blade) or with an actual Naniwa etc honing stone. If with the latter, any particular grit and any evident damage to the surface of the stone?

EDIT: Just got it

You can also be as lazy as me and have these wedge/hoe razor blades sent out to be professionally honed just like a straight razor. I think I got 5-6 of them (different brands and sizes) all honed and stropped :)

I Use a Lapping Film Progression System for these Blades..15 Micron, 5 Micron, 3 Micron, 1 Micron & 0.5 for a Final Polish..I have Nanwina Stones but will be keeping them for Honing my SRs encase the Smaller SE Blades Damage the Stones Due to there Smaller Surface Area..The Rolls Razor has a System to Maintain the Blade but I Don't Use it as Honing & Stropping outside the Rolls System Offer Superior Results..Its all in that Thread..:)

Billy

I Use a Lapping Film Progression System for these Blades..15 Micron, 5 Micron, 3 Micron, 1 Micron & 0.5 for a Final Polish..I have Nanwina Stones but will be keeping them for Honing my SRs encase the Smaller SE Blades Damage the Stones Due to there Smaller Surface Area..The Rolls Razor has a System to Maintain the Blade but I Don't Use it as Honing & Stropping outside the Rolls System Offer Superior Results..Its all in that Thread..:)

Billy

Thanks billy, I have seen the Rolls Razor honing system, looks a bit woeful. I will go through the thread, though I may wait to see how the ATT SE performs before going down the vintage SE route. Thanks for all the advice and information as always :)
That said I am guessing the vintage SE razors will become even more desirable after the influx of incoming modern SE razors.

I use Older SEs that use a Hollow Ground Blade or a Wedge Blade that I Hone & Strop..These are the Dogs Danglies as they are Effectively an SR Hollow Ground Blade that has been Cut Down..;)

Hollow Ground Blade SEs are Worth a 100 SE Razors..:D

Billy

Nishy and other readers should think of Billy's writing as creepy science fiction.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Used the King Cobra late last night and today. I find it difficult to say how far along the scale I enjoy this razor. It doesn't take well to thick lather, the head gets clogged up quite easily. A wetter lather works much better. The blade loading is now a piece of cake. But my OCD kicks in when I see tea stains on the blade, not throwing it away after each use, as I do with my DE's. This is a user issue as opposed to the razor. Just obviously need to dry it off better.

The audio feedback is what I enjoy most, loud and apparent.

Sharpness this is what throws me. After three uses the blade should still be sharp but it doesn't feel as it did on its first outing. It is as though I'm shaving with a straight that hasn't been finished on a high enough hone grit rating. What I mean by this is it has a 'velvety' or 'furry' feel when I pass blade over stubble, as opposed to crisp cutting edge. The shaves are close but definitely not as close as my straights or even a couple of DE razors.

Styling is excellent, I'm still having difficulty getting the correct cutting angle on my neck. It clears stubble and you can hear it cutting but it isn't super smooth? Could it be that after 3 uses the blade is dulled? I have a thick beard growth but shave every day.

Used the King Cobra late last night and today. I find it difficult to say how far along the scale I enjoy this razor. It doesn't take well to thick lather, the head gets clogged up quite easily. A wetter lather works much better. The blade loading is now a piece of cake. But my OCD kicks in when I see tea stains on the blade, not throwing it away after each use, as I do with my DE's. This is a user issue as opposed to the razor. Just obviously need to dry it off better.

The audio feedback is what I enjoy most, loud and apparent.

Sharpness this is what throws me. After three uses the blade should still be sharp but it doesn't feel as it did on its first outing. It is as though I'm shaving with a straight that hasn't been finished on a high enough hone grit rating. What I mean by this is it has a 'velvety' or 'furry' feel when I pass blade over stubble, as opposed to crisp cutting edge. The shaves are close but definitely not as close as my straights or even a couple of DE razors.

Styling is excellent, I'm still having difficulty getting the correct cutting angle on my neck. It clears stubble and you can hear it cutting but it isn't super smooth? Could it be that after 3 uses the blade is dulled? I have a thick beard growth but shave every day.

I have Used the Feather Pro Blades in the Artist Club..I have also Cut it Down to Fit Various Injectors..The Blade was Done & Dulled with 3 Uses in the Artist Club..I got about 4 Shaves out of One in an Injector Razor..The Feather Pro will Drop Off Fast from its Crazy Initial Sharpness & it will Effect Subsequent Shaves..o_O

That's My Experience With Feather Pro Blades..Wicked for a Moment & getting Duller by the Moment..I have never came Across a Blade that can Dull so Quick as a Feather..They also Don't Like being Handled..Best to Handle them as Little as Possible..That said..I like them in Some Injectors..:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom