Closed Cobra Classic Pass Around - COMPLETE

Hey Martin, thanks needed this, confidence restored. I have a sampler pack of SE blades, including all the feathers and the Kai options. So will try out a couple.

You guys know better than I, but am I treating this like a disposable razor or more like a straight razor?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Think of it as one sided DE with a handle that helps you with the angle. No pressure - let the weight do the work for you. Small strokes. It may look like a disposable but it's got very little in common with one. It's not a straight either, with the safety bar it's more forgiving.
It really is pretty easy to use. Once you have done one pass you'll see it's not the monster you are expecting.

Much appreciated, I'm sure it's an intuitive piece of kit. Will find out this evening either way.

One question, why is it that these large heads, do not put many off SE razors? Maybe I don't have as much real estate for an SE? I understand the concept of the stiffer blade but just not the head size,do es the large head not become cumbersome under the nose etc?

Much appreciated, I'm sure it's an intuitive piece of kit. Will find out this evening either way.

One question, why is it that these large heads, do not put many off SE razors? Maybe I don't have as much real estate for an SE? I understand the concept of the stiffer blade but just not the head size,do es the large head not become cumbersome under the nose etc?

If you like a narrower head then try an injector - although I do find my PAL injector very close to a modern single blade disposable in the way you use it.
The wide head is not a problem - you'll find the cobra especially good under the nose due to the small depth of the head.
For me the main reasons I was put off for a while on the SE's
1. Blade cost is considerably more than DE's
2. The myth that they are dangerous, hyper aggressive and/or hard to use.

Hey guys I know I could just Google it but it may help another, how do you load the Cobra? Is it really just spring loaded? I see little tabs inside the blade holder

Hey guys I know I could just Google it but it may help another, how do you load the Cobra? Is it really just spring loaded? I see little tabs inside the blade holder

Under the head is a swivel catch. Turn it and the cobras jaw will open. It's a bit fiddly but works OK.

Make sure to align the cut-outs in the blade with the posts in the bottom part of the head too Nishy! Once you do that, turn the swivel catch so that it locks shut and you're good to go...:)

Make sure to align the cut-outs in the blade with the posts in the bottom part of the head too Nishy! Once you do that, turn the swivel catch so that it locks shut and you're good to go...:)

And if that doesn't work use a medium-to-large sized hammer and give it a good tap or three. If you see sparks you're at the right strength

And if that doesn't work use a medium-to-large sized hammer and give it a good tap or three. If you see sparks you're at the right strength

I would also suggest using the hammer, but adding another sophisticated piece to the mix. That hammer would be used to bang on the handle of a sharp wood chisel who's blade is resting on the Cobra. Proper tools for the proper job.

I would also suggest using the hammer, but adding another sophisticated piece to the mix. That hammer would be used to bang on the handle of a sharp wood chisel who's blade is resting on the Cobra. Proper tools for the proper job.

Good point! Hopefully the next tester can try out this approach. Curious to hear results.

Well firstly a thank you to Martin for the opportunity.

I shaved one days growth. The razor looks superb, the finish is sterling. I found it to give a very close, comfortable shave. I need to get used to the angles in order to complete the shave in two passes and fully appreciate those points when it felt 'right'.

Similar to a straight razor I used the middle portion of the SE blade (similar to the width of a DE). No blade chatter and a solid edge feel. On occasions I used the entire width of the blade on my cheeks; it felt as though I was shaving with a mach 3, no resistance (guessing due to the SE blade stiffness) or irritation. I would say the face feel is similar to that of a straight razor, but at the angle of a cartridge head. IMO the main difference between this and a straight is with the straight razor I can get closer, however, the only DE that I own that shave as close as the King is my Blackbird. Although the angle was not natural (I haven't used a cartridge razor in years), it was easier to produce than with my experience of the One blade. I also really enjoy the slim head profile. Massive difference. I sold my Mongoose after a few days because of the this, same with the Futur.

So in conclusion, a great, close comfortable shave, that i'm sure will improve, in a year or two of practise, hold tight number 2. The face feel and audible feedback is excellent. It sounds loud and aggressive. It feels efficient and smooth. Very nice indeed. Only issue I had was with loading the blade, it took a few attempts, but at least you can easily see if it is correctly aligned.

Back
Top Bottom