Best and worse blades you've used?

I really like Shark blades, and use Treet a lot too.

Merkur blades suck.

I'm one of hose people who can quite happily use Derby blades. Never seen what the problem with them is.

Rapira Super Stainless are my favourites - I don't think that they can beaten for a close yet comfortable shave. My least favourite would have to be Wilkinson Sword Saloon blades - for the first half a pass they feel great, then they're blunt and drag like anything. I think I'd need four blades per shave to get a smooth one!

Still going thru my connaught sample pack, but so far, Gillete yellow 7oclock sharp edge are the best. Lords are not bad either.

As for the baddies (so far), Derby, Astra, Feather are getting nil points.

Really like Lords myself, couldn't get on with the Gillette Yellow I tried, but that's not to say I won't give it a go again.

Derby again, couldn't get on with, but will retry (shock horror!) as I'm sure my technique must have been partly to blame. Astra SP's started out well for me, then when I tried a Personna Lab Blue, and went back to it, I found I couldn't get a decent shave from one. Again, I will retry in the future, maybe. I have enough blades I get on with, so do sometimes think there's no point risking a horrible shave, but my mind works in weird ways. I might decide it's a great idea to try them again, but who knows? I tried to plan my next blade usage before, but never stuck to anything I proposed.

I've used more gooduns than baduns. The Swedes,Sputniks and Rapiras (pink and blues) are my current favourites. The worse I've experienced are the Dorcos, Merkur and the Derbys.

Only new to this, but so far...

I like;
Astra greens- the quality and especially the price make these great in my mind. I decided to stock up on these now, about 200 so far.
Astra blues- Nice blade too, but I only used these the first few weeks so my tecnique was well off, I'll return back to them soon.
Feathers- these felt great, but at more then twice the price of the Astras I'm going to sample more from the ones I have. If I end up prefering the feathers, then I'll buy a bunch. I got 4 very comfortable shaves from one blade, which seems good.
Gillette greens- I tried this blade just yesterday and it felt great. Just like the feathers, I'll keep them in mind, but I won't bulk buy until I try a load more and am convinced they are better then the astras.

I hate; Super-max blue diamond... I wanted to like these so much since they are ridiculously cheap, and I like the packaging, but I would have been better off using a veet strip across my face then shaving with this. A real shame.

The blades I haven't got on with have been the Derbys (seems to be a common theme) and the Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows (not so much a common theme). The Yellows just caused reactions to my face, found them really scratchy, and Mrs PompeyBill kept wondering what I had done to my face because of the irritation.

The best blades, for me, are the Feathers and the Lords Stainless Steel, both giving me a really nice, smooth shave with no irritation at all.

Need to try the Voskhod blades though, that's on my 'To Do' listing.

Looking around for somewhere to post an opinion on a blade I've been using and I found this thread ... back from the grave, then :D

Best
Sputnik Teflon - absolutely awesome in a Merkur 37C
Feather Hi-Stainless - especially in vintage Techs but outstanding in the Muhle R41
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow) - my "to go" blade for DE shaving
SuperMax Blue Diamond (Swedish Steel)

But ...

Treet Platinum - what a surprise! so smooth, so effortless

Worst
Merkur Super - three awful shaves, although they were my first three :D
Rapira Swedish Supersteel - contentious! high expectations but didn't play out for me ... one to revisit
Astra Super Platinum - again, contentious! rough and irritable shaves for me ... again, one to revisit

Best blade in my slim adjustable so far is the sputnik teflon

Worst blade so far was the blue diamond, took it out after shaving half of one cheek as it was ripping hairs out by the roots, or felt like it :(

In my EJ DE89

Best blades:

PolSilver Super Iridium - smooth, sharp and long lasting
Personna Medical Prep - very nearly as good as the PolSilver, but not quite.

Worst blades:

Derby - rough, cuts my face up badly
Personna Lab prep - not as bad as Derby but was another rough blade that cut me badly. I will try another at some point as many people rate these as well as the Med Preps and I may have had a bad one, but not filled with confidence.

Back
Top Bottom