Best and worse blades you've used?

Rascally said:
In my EJ DE89

Best blades:

PolSilver Super Iridium - smooth, sharp and long lasting
Personna Medical Prep - very nearly as good as the PolSilver, but not quite.

Worst blades:

Personna Lab prep - not as bad as Derby but was another rough blade that cut me badly.

Interesting, I use a DE89L.

I recently tried a PolSilver SI and found it ragged, leaving me with a lot of nicks while not providing a great shave either.

Tried a Lab Blue yesterday and it was excellent, smooth finish and no nicks. One of my favourites so far.

Med preps are next up (I have a stack of blades to try).

Only used on blade of each, so probably premature to call the results definitive though.

longplay said:
Rascally said:
In my EJ DE89

Best blades:

PolSilver Super Iridium - smooth, sharp and long lasting
Personna Medical Prep - very nearly as good as the PolSilver, but not quite.

Worst blades:

Personna Lab prep - not as bad as Derby but was another rough blade that cut me badly.

Interesting, I use a DE89L.

I recently tried a PolSilver SI and found it ragged, leaving me with a lot of nicks while not providing a great shave either.

Tried a Lab Blue yesterday and it was excellent, smooth finish and no nicks. One of my favourites so far.

Med preps are next up (I have a stack of blades to try).

Only used on blade of each, so probably premature to call the results definitive though.

:) just goes to show, YMMV is so true. First shave I had with the Polsilver did cut me up a little, though I put this down to problems I had at the time with my razor de-chroming and little bits of chrome catching in the blade. It was still very close and smooth and since then I've had no cutting issues.

I have limited experience. Blades I have used in random order
Gillette 7 o clock (yellow)
Derby Extra
Supermax Stainless
Supermax Platinum
Sainsburys own (Dorco)
The best of these by far is the Supermax Platinum
The worse Sainsburys own

I have always used Feathers for years and find them to be great. Until I discovered this forum it didn't really occur to me to try any other blades....or razors, brushes etc etc...
I have recently tried SuperMax blue diamonds and really liked them. Then onto SuperMax super platinum and liked them even more. I have now ordered a pack of Voskhod to try as they seem to come well recommended on here. Also considering ordering some Sputniks for the same reason. I must say though that given the price difference between the above mentioned and the Feathers I have always used, I may not need to go back to the Feathers in the future.

For me the likes are, and depending upon which razor I'm using:

Feathers, hands down best all round
Derby. I prefer these in an open comb head, as I don't find them quite so aggressive.

And the worst:

Gillette 7 o clock
Anything by Astra

I still have these to try yet, so will see:

Shark
Lord Platinum
Asco

Trying out Treet Dura Sharps

Hated them in my Murker 42c, loved them in my tech, first time in my new progress seem pretty good, certainly better than the Lord Super stainless I tried before.

So to me it just shows how the razor can make a lot of difference to how a blade feels!

Astra SP's seem to work in everything for me so far though.

have a good Sunday, off to Mike and the Mechanics tonight.

Paul

Spear321 said:
Trying out Treet Dura Sharps

Hated them in my Murker 42c, loved them in my tech, first time in my new progress seem pretty good, certainly better than the Lord Super stainless I tried before.

So to me it just shows how the razor can make a lot of difference to how a blade feels!

Astra SP's seem to work in everything for me so far though.

have a good Sunday, off to Mike and the Mechanics tonight.

Paul

You're brave Paul. I know it's probably wrong but whenever I've truly hated a blade in a razor I won't try it in another one. I really should as different razors do work better with different blades but once I'm put off that's it. I've not tried the Durasharps but I do have some to try, eventually I will.

Don't really like the SP's, just shows how different we all are. Funny old hobby. It makes me wonder exactly how blades are so different, especially ones which are all made in the same factory.

I hope it was a good night!

Great concert did living years with the Warrington deaf insititute choir got biggest cheer of the night.
Don't feel brave having surged these forums for a while you realise just how much opinion varies between razors, blades and people so thought it was worth giving all the blades a second chance.

Re: RE: Best and worse blades you've used?

MarkDifferential said:
I've just used a blue Gillette platinum. Very good it was and now in my "good blades" list.

Worst? Astras

The blue Gillette Platinum are awesome. I can use one blade for 6 shaves.

Does anyone else find it enlightening that many blades that people select as being their 'best' that to others, those same blades fall into their 'worst'?

I guess it just re-enforces the view that blades really are the most personal of choices...

Or the razor makes more of a difference than I credit it with, in my limited experience.

Or, YMMV is absolutley true depending on skin type, razor, blade, technique, soap etc

Or, maybe we are all imagining it as part of our need to justify our obsession ;)

Back
Top Bottom