Best and worse blades you've used?

I realise that certain blades perform differently in different razors, but what's the best blade that you've come across yet, and the worst blade? Based on just the smoothness and closeness of the first couple of shaves, and irritation afterwards.

I've so far used the following blades:

Derby Extra
Astra Superior Platinum
Dorco 300 (IIRC)
Personna Lab Blues

I received my sample pack from Connaught shaving yesterday, and I selected the blades based on the blade review spreadsheet on here (excellent resource, thanks very much NotTheStig) and I know that blades will work differently for me but as I have not very much experience, picked the best ones (at least I tried to) available in comparison to the reviews.

I received: Shark Super Stainless
Treet Platinum
Gillette Super Thin Platinum
Super-Max Platinum
Personna Platinum Chrome
Perma-Sharp Super Stainless
Personna Super Med Prep
Personna Super Lab Blue
Timor Stainless ice tempered

The lab blue which I've used from the sample pack has been the best blade I've used to date, and have a feeling that it will take some beating.

The worst blade I have used is the Dorco, which attempted to drag every hair out of my face, and subsequently they have not been used since. To be fair the Derby was a close contender due to the irritation it left afterwards, but the first time I used it I actually had a fairly decent shave, alas the second time, oh no...

What's been the best and worst for you?

I'm on the lookout for more blades, and need ideas and to also know what to avoid :D

Thanks!

Alex

I'd find it hard to narrow it down to any more than about three as there's so little in it at the top so I'll go:
Gillette 7 o'clock sharpedge yellow pack
Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless green pack
Rapira Swedish Supersteel

And the worst for me are Treet (either one).

My best so far is possibly a Shark or the Rapiras

Worst blades for me personally are the Astras (green & blue) tried no end of times to get on with them but always leave my face sore and nicked all over! These or the only blades that do it to me

ive tried a fair few blades over the last year or so and theres quite a few i like, 7 o'clock yellow, black and green are all good, personna med prep and supermax super platinum are excellent and i like polsilver a lot too. the only ones ive really disliked are treet platinum, they were dreadful for me

Vintage English Wilkinson Sword
Personna Lab Blue
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
BIC Platinum Chrome
Rapira Super Stainless

The above are the best I've tried so far with probably the Astra greens joining them but I do find the exorbitant amount of glue on them is rather annoying. I quite like the 7 o'clock yellow but have experienced a little irritation with them however I've not ruled them out as it could well be me. Need to use them and the green 7s a little more to find out. Personna Reds are also good, reliable and forgiving but I no longer find they shave as quite close as those up top. The 7 o'clock blue was good 'un too.

Worst so far would be:

Timor
Supermax Blue Diamond
Shark
Derby

The Timor could have been a dodgy one in the pack as it was really rough and easily the worst. Can't get on with the Blue Diamond at all - bought fifty and every time I've tried one its been no ruddy good at all. Most have been PIF'd but some do like these so I don't feel as if I've inflicted them upon anyone. The Shark I find really pulls at my top lip stubble and the Derbys are a distant memory of badness so may I need to try them again but given the general low opinion of them, I've sought out different blades to experience first.

I am looking forward to trying: Feather, Super Iridium, Gillette Super Thins, and 7 o'clock black. Got a pack of 10 Feathers on the way from NkdMan and can't wait for them to arrive. Feather + a shim in the Jagger 89L should be very interesting!

It's strange isn't it, how opinions differ, it really does go to show how different set ups are better for some and not for others.

A member from here kindly sent me a large sample pack, from his vast collection and although I haven't tried them all (there were 20+ in the package he sent) so far the best;

Feather (although I already had a couple of packs)
Astra Super Platinum

Worst;

Personna red (nicked me to death)
Shark (the only blade I have changed halfway through a shave, just utter shite)

Yet some people swear by my worst yet won't go near a feather.

Funny old game.

Favourites
- Gillette 7 O'Clock (Black) Super Platinum
- Gillette 7 O'Clock (Yellow) Sharp Edge
- Gillette 7 O'Clock (Green) Super Stainless

Worst (both give me irritation)
- Gillette Platinum Rubie
- Rapira Platinum Lux

I wont rate German Wilkinson Sword's or Derby's as i only used them when i first started DE shaving and havent been back to them since.

I've got 40 different types of blades, with maybe 10 i haven't used yet.

I've currently got approx 200 of each of my favourites and will probably bulk buy Rapira Swedish Steel and Sputnik's to join them, if i dont prefer any of the ones i havent yet tried more.

Best, if not on a budget: tie between Super Iridium and Personna Med Prep. They are sharp and very smooth.
Best 'affordable' blades: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Worst, for me: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow or Black. Cannot get an irritation-free shave from them.

Canuck said:
And the worst for me are Treet (either one).

isaiah53 said:
the only ones ive really disliked are treet platinum, they were dreadful for me

Hmm I'm not too sure how they will be for myself then, I'll have to give them a go and see, hopefully not as bad as they've been for you, but reading that I don't hold out much hope!

Gairdner said:
Gravy said:
will probably bulk buy Rapira Swedish Steel

Yep, me too.

I quite fancy the Rapiras, seen them cheap on eBay too, not sure what ones they are though. I've heard good things about them though!

Thanks for all your replies.

SmallBeard said:
I quite fancy the Rapiras, seen them cheap on eBay too, not sure what ones they are though. I've heard good things about them though!

Thanks for all your replies.

These are the 'Swedes' and the seller is great to do business with.

Here are the Super Stainless which are also good as is the seller from whom I have purchased several times although I note is away till 15Feb13.

The Swedes are excellent (no not you Mikael!) :icon_lol:

Lose the beard said:
Have you had a look at NotTheStigs spreadsheet of blades. The post is in the DE blades section as a sticky.

That gives a score of numerous blades based on his findings.

That's what I was talking about when I said how I picked my sample pack. I was looking at the smoothness, closeness and irritation on there, the cost didn't matter as the sample pack had a set price. It's an excellent resource, it was added straight to my favourites :).

Best......
Permasharps from Turkey ..not perfect, but not far off.
Gillette yellows..a bit "tuggy" on the first pass..good after that.
Feathers...though I'm leaning to thinner, less rigid and more flexible blades these days..

Worst.....
Laser from Wilkies..absolutely appalling
Derby..not far behind lasers
my list of poor blades is a long one, so we'll stop at these two...

Back
Top Bottom