Best and worse blades you've used?

dodgy said:
joe mcclaine said:
Best

not going to bother listing the 8 / 10 blades that are no longer made.

Well I'd be curious what old blades you would recommend. Heh, I think NTS and a few other guys might also have some interest in that. As you may have seen, Carl has rather severe 'enthusiasm' issues when it comes to hoarding vintage blades and crap like that.

Of course any info would be used not to enable (certainly not), but rather to educate.

No problem if thinking about em is too painful and you can't bear to write anything............

Fair dues ...
I know some of these have been re-released and the new ones 'might' be as good as the old ones - but I doubt it.

Nacet
Polsilver
UK-made Wilkinson Sword
(Really old) UK-made Wilkinson Sword
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette 'Swedes'
Super Iridium

Ah, would you look at that ... only 7, hey ho.

Worst was Dorco, we just did not get along, tried a few just to make sure i didn't get a dud blade but no, were not friends any more. Best...I'm going to have to say Feather, constantly provide an excellent shave.

These seem to be my favourites :

Gillette 7oclock Permasharp.
Original Super Iridium.
Shark.

These used to be fine in my Futur (now retired) but are crap in my Tech

Derby.
Supermax super stainless.

not had a decent shave out of 7oclock super platinum yet but only tried 2 so far.

Best - Shark Stainless. Not the smoothest but they give a close shave with no irritation. Yes other blades are sharper but they seem to irritate a lot more. A close second for Astra SP's.

Worst - BIC. Bought a pack for the sake of sampling. The remaining 4 taunt me every time i go to my stash. Very tuggy.

I like BICs and will probably buy another 100 soon. Am going off Astra greens though - the Personna 'Lab Blues' are spoiling me I think. Rapira Super Stainless never fail me but the Feathers make me sore. Must try some Gillette Blacks and those Super Thins that LTB likes.

mrjim said:
Best - Shark Stainless. Not the smoothest but they give a close shave with no irritation. Yes other blades are sharper but they seem to irritate a lot more. A close second for Astra SP's.

Worst - BIC. Bought a pack for the sake of sampling. The remaining 4 taunt me every time i go to my stash. Very tuggy.

This makes me look forward to my pack of sharks more now, thanks. Irritation is my downfall I'd say.
Gairdner said:
I like BICs and will probably buy another 100 soon. Am going off Astra greens though - the Personna 'Lab Blues' are spoiling me I think. Rapira Super Stainless never fail me but the Feathers make me sore. Must try some Gillette Blacks and those Super Thins that LTB likes.

Not tried BICs, but I'm going off astra sp's for the same reason. The lab blues in my sample pack are brilliant; but I went back to an astra green today, and it left me irritated and sore. Good thing I have 100 lab blues on their way over from USA right now, I can't wait to get them. My face has been horrible lately (not just aesthetically) so I won't give up on the astras just yet, besides I have 90 left to get through...

I have Rapiras coming too, both the stainless and the swedes based on your recommendations and links you provided me with previously, I hope they're good on my face. How do they rate compared to the lab blues?

Alex

Alex, I'm still really a newbie as well so take my recommendations more lightly than the guys on here that have been doing this for some time. I've also a sneaking suspicion that the Rapira Super Stainless and the Swedish Super Steel are the same blade in different packets - take them out of their respective wrappers and they look identical. Also, I've seen some sampler packs recently (I forget exactly where) but the blue and white packet that the Swedes come in was marked 'Super Stainless' rather than the usual 'Swedish Supersteel'. That said, I like them both quite a lot so far but couldn't really say if they were better than the lab blues. Not much in it but so far I'd give the blues the nod although that could change. :icon_rolleyes:

Shark Stainless I found really tuggy on the moustache stubble and not able to go as close on my neck as say, the Rapira Super Stainless. Gillette yellows give me a little irritation and my experience of trying an Astra after the lab blues was just like yours. Some of this could just be technique as I've chopped and changed blades and razors way too much and there are other factors that play a part in variation/quality of shaves. If you PM your address to me, I'll try to sort you out with a few blades like BIC, Rapira SS & Swede and the Israeli Personna Platinum Chrome. Beware though as I'm a slow goods rather than an express passenger when it comes to posting. :angel:

Hope this helps rather than confuses. :blush:

Gairdner said:
Alex, I'm still really a newbie as well so take my recommendations more lightly than the guys on here that have been doing this for some time. I've also a sneaking suspicion that the Rapira Super Stainless and the Swedish Super Steel are the same blade in different packets - take them out of their respective wrappers and they look identical. Also, I've seen some sampler packs recently (I forget exactly where) but the blue and white packet that the Swedes come in was marked 'Super Stainless' rather than the usual 'Swedish Supersteel'. That said, I like them both quite a lot so far but couldn't really say if they were better than the lab blues. Not much in it but so far I'd give the blues the nod although that could change. :icon_rolleyes:

Shark Stainless I found really tuggy on the moustache stubble and not able to go as close on my neck as say, the Rapira Super Stainless. Gillette yellows give me a little irritation and my experience of trying an Astra after the lab blues was just like yours. Some of this could just be technique as I've chopped and changed blades and razors way too much and there are other factors that play a part in variation/quality of shaves. If you PM your address to me, I'll try to sort you out with a few blades like BIC, Rapira SS & Swede and the Israeli Personna Platinum Chrome. Beware though as I'm a slow goods rather than an express passenger when it comes to posting. :angel:

Hope this helps rather than confuses. :blush:

Thanks Graeme, as I have only been doing this just over a month, I listen to anyone with more experience than me, plus it gives me a reason to buy more shaving stuff :angel:.

You're a well respected member of this community, so I hold your opinion very highly, newbie or not :icon_razz:

Hmm, I do have both on the way, so it will be interesting to see if there is any noticeable difference when I do get them delivered and get a chance to shave with both. It wouldn't surprise me, there really can't be much variation in each blade if any though.

The lab blues have been brilliant, and I agree that they will be hard to beat.

I may not get on as well with the Sharks as I'd thought then, but that's the amazing thing with this, the YMMV lark, it is surprising just how different people rate blades. I'll have to see for myself (can't complain, shaving is enjoyable now). I was interested in the 7 o clock yellows but as my skin seems to be easily irritated, as of late anyway, I might avoid these now, a few people have noted the irritation.

Yes, my shave today really was awful, I haven't changed razors but it could be down to a number of things so I'll be happy to try the astras again in the future, before the lab blues I loved them.

Thank you very much, I shall PM you my address, I appreciate this.

It's certainly given me something to think about, just gives me more reason to try things which I could never complain about!

Cheers

Alex

Well respected? Never been accused of that before.....you filthy swine! :icon_lol:

PM inbound to you, sir.

Graeme :D

It's funny but Sharks were my first go to blade and I thought I'd end up buying 100 of these. It all went wrong later on though.

I like Astra SP - it;s a great blade in all razors and I don't seem to have a problem with it but a mate at work hates them because of the irritation so as usual YMMV. If ound them a great blade in the R41 and the Fatip - as good but smoother than a Feather.

the gillette Yellows are getting a lot of time here at the moment as well.

I recently used my Last 2 Crown blades and although not as bad as Derby I'm glad the pack has gone and they won't be coming near a rzor of mine any time soon.

I've given this post some deep thinking over the last few days,the worst blade I've used is Merkur's own Brand,for that money I don't expect to have a tuggy shave and then have the blade give up half way through,

The best blade's I've used are feather and GEM blades for closeness.
And wilkinson sword for comfort.

In order !!

Best
Astra Super Platinum
Gillette 7 o'clock green
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (apart from 1st shave)

Worst
Supermax Blue Diamond
Derby
Lord chrome
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (Because of 1st shave)

Greetings

My worst DE blade are Merkurs and my worst SE Blade Jewel (made in Sheffield industrial grade) I completed one stroke with these, stroke that is not pass.
I think these are the same blades we used at school in the early sixties to sharpen pencils with in Tech. drawing lessons!

Best DE Super Iridium, Best SE I am still unsure between GEM stainless PTFE coated and carbon GEM Blue Stars, but to be fair there isn't much choice in the SE world!

Regards
Dick.

I think you could safely try out a lot of blades in an EJ De89.

I'd try Astra SPs for starters... Gillette 7 O'clock greens (before the yellows)... Personna Lab Blues. Make a short list of the most recommended here... you'll probably end up trying them all anyway

Back
Top Bottom