Best and worse blades you've used?

NotTheStig said:
Do you think they are identical or very similar? They seemed different to me but I tested them a while apart and I think in different razors

Afternoon Carl - I tried them both in the FT Rocket I used to have, and they seemed similar but not identical, though I can't recall exactly where I thought the difference lay.

Afternoon. Thanks. Hmm, more testing, one day after another, in same razor I reckon. I'll see how I get on. I only have a couple of Polsilver SI although I have a good few SIs still.
If you fancy trying them both and need any of the blue Wizamet SI I can send you a couple.

I'm hearing blades I've never heard of, just means I have more to try and get my hands on and try. It makes me laugh when I think that one of my first posts was about saving money switching from cartridge to de, and I must admit I was warned, and I can see why :(.

I tried hinting on the Rapiras for valentines day today, didn't get me anywhere :(.

Where is the best place to get Rapiras or polsilvers in small quantities, if that is possible at all? Seeing as some people on this thread have said the rapiras have been one of their worst, although they aren't too dear, I don't want to jump in and buy 100 and hate them.

SmallBeard said:
I'm hearing blades I've never heard of, just means I have more to try and get my hands on and try. It makes me laugh when I think that one of my first posts was about saving money switching from cartridge to de, and I must admit I was warned, and I can see why :(.

I tried hinting on the Rapiras for valentines day today, didn't get me anywhere :(.

Where is the best place to get Rapiras or polsilvers in small quantities, if that is possible at all? Seeing as some people on this thread have said the rapiras have been one of their worst, although they aren't too dear, I don't want to jump in and buy 100 and hate them.

For the Rapiras, and other Russian blades:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMPLER-S...390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f8047a6

For Polsilvers:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/user-981.html (though I suspect he may no longer be able to get hold of them), but do try Super Iridiums and/or Polsilver Super Iridiums from this guy (Emilio) - they're very good and he's a trusted seller here.

Been using the Gillette sharpedge in my R41 all this week and I have to say that combo is working out pretty well at the moment. Think I've found my go to blade for that razor.

Best gillette yellows or Astra green
Worse the cloud ones for sale on eBay was like dragging a blunt wood chisel across my face. Only managed one stoke down my face with one truly bad. I will try another blade just encase it was a bad one

Hiya,

There's 5-6 favorites in my rotation. For whatever the reason, every one's vintage, except for the Iridium. So along with those there's a couple different Wilkinsons, the Schick Plus Platinum (from the late 60s-early 70s), and the Personna74 blades. The Personna74 and one Wilkinson version are better than the Iridium, with the others being as good.

Martin

Oh yeah, the Gillette SharpEdge is another currently made blade that I have a hard time telling from an Iridium. Injector blades are also vintage, with the Gillette Platinum Plus and the Personna Super Stainless ones being my druthers.

Best:
Personna, Red - not going to bother listing the 8 / 10 blades that are no longer made.

Worst:
Laser - and it's not even a close call. I could probably get a better shave with a damp, burst tennis ball!

i got 100 polsilver super iridiums for about 23 quid from dridiot - his website is in the vendors section. the best price i've seen for them by far

edit - just checked - 35 dollars. still a very good price

Best has to be feathers for me.
Worst is derbys, I tried one and had little success in the first pass so figured it was down to the excessive variability of the blades. Tried another and no improvement so I gave up at that point.

Worst is the excuse for a thing that came with my Merkur razor. I'm not sure it could be called a blade as it was so blunt and rough.

Best for me is probably Gillette SuperThin, or Personna Blue Lab Prep.

joe mcclaine said:
Best

not going to bother listing the 8 / 10 blades that are no longer made.

Well I'd be curious what old blades you would recommend. Heh, I think NTS and a few other guys might also have some interest in that. As you may have seen, Carl has rather severe 'enthusiasm' issues when it comes to hoarding vintage blades and crap like that.

Of course any info would be used not to enable (certainly not), but rather to educate.

No problem if thinking about em is too painful and you can't bear to write anything............

Back
Top Bottom