Apple Hatred

Re: RE: Apple Hatred

NotTheStig said:
I have never used Apple products but I gather their latest navigation software is excellent on iOS6.

One person I know who got the 5 has found her address is about 20min down the road from where it should be. The navigation map seems to have real issues from what I hear... Not that Google maps is flawless, but it tends to be correct more often than not.

I think with the map app they had to get a slice of the action it's all about money and the whole navigation thing is growth area as new idea's come along its just getting the initial data and keeping it up to date is a massive job. Apple will have to get it sussed but it will take them years to do it. Google has already driven 5million miles of road to collect data for street view.

One thing I did notice about IOS 6 is that the Youtube app has been removed now that is petty. Even though I like Apple this is taking the piss at the very least they could have replaced it with there own app.

Big.Dave said:
I think with the map app they had to get a slice of the action it's all about money and the whole navigation thing is growth area as new idea's come along its just getting the initial data and keeping it up to date is a massive job. Apple will have to get it sussed but it will take them years to do it. Google has already driven 5million miles of road to collect data for street view.

One thing I did notice about IOS 6 is that the Youtube app has been removed now that is petty. Even though I like Apple this is taking the piss at the very least they could have replaced it with there own app.

Google have added their own youtube app as a replacement, check the app store;.

Big.Dave said:

Your joking right? The new youtube app is so much better.

mattyb240 said:
Big.Dave said:

Your joking right? The new youtube app is so much better.

Iphone only at the moment does not work on the Ipad.

That is true. But google have known about this for a long time. A proportion of blame lies with them. Ultimately you can download that iPhone app onto an iPad if needs be.

But maybe they have got the app but its held up in apple clearing if that makes sense!! They do police the app store rather strongly! And on the mapping thing. When its something as important as mapping they should have got it right first time. It really knocks consumer confidence in a sat nav if it gets it wrong! I know we now have a stand for my one x as our nissan sat nav is pretty good, but does make mistakes!

monkeytennis said:
But maybe they have got the app but its held up in apple clearing if that makes sense!! They do police the app store rather strongly! And on the mapping thing. When its something as important as mapping they should have got it right first time. It really knocks consumer confidence in a sat nav if it gets it wrong! I know we now have a stand for my one x as our nissan sat nav is pretty good, but does make mistakes!

I agree that the new Apple maps are crap, but just use Google maps until they sort it out?

I've used Apple as the subject of many OU assignments. I find it amazing that the company is based on free software, think of an Apple product that isn't centred around iTunes. It's an easy argument that the popularity of the 'i' device had created the demand and popularity of the Mac.

I used to be Microsoft centric (MCSD), however when I became a student the Dell I had running Vista didn't do the business, and the educational discount Apple offers make their products very attractive. In my experience Apple products are built to last longer that the competition. My original plastic macbook is going strong 5 years on, and Apple customer service and support are top notch, in my experience.

As for the YouTube app being removed from iOS6, try using Safari, you can create a shortcut on the home screen. All sorted.

midlife_crisis said:
I've used Apple as the subject of many OU assignments. I find it amazing that the company is based on free software, think of an Apple product that isn't centred around iTunes. It's an easy argument that the popularity of the 'i' device had created the demand and popularity of the Mac.

I used to be Microsoft centric (MCSD), however when I became a student the Dell I had running Vista didn't do the business, and the educational discount Apple offers make their products very attractive. In my experience Apple products are built to last longer that the competition. My original plastic macbook is going strong 5 years on, and Apple customer service and support are top notch, in my experience.

As for the YouTube app being removed from iOS6, try using Safari, you can create a shortcut on the home screen. All sorted.[/b]

Unless somethings changed recently or I dont fully understand this bit but...
If you try to access YouTube with Safari then you need the flash plugin that Apple iOS doesn't support. That's why you need an app.

jaycey said:
midlife_crisis said:

As for the YouTube app being removed from iOS6, try using Safari, you can create a shortcut on the home screen. All sorted.[/b]

If you try to access YouTube with Safari then you need the flash plugin that Apple iOS doesn't support. That's why you need an app.

I skimmed this last week and picked up on the "Links to YouTube videos will now play in the Safari browser by default". Guessing that's not the case :

"YouTube
iOS 6 eliminates the built-in YouTube app that has been included since the original iPhone was released in 2007. Links to YouTube videos will now play in the Safari browser by default, though iOS 6 still includes the ability to upload videos to YouTube from the Photos app, as before.

The omission of the built-in YouTube app is a relatively small loss, as it received only very minor updates over the years. Google has already released a native YouTube app on the App Store that not only fills in this gap but provides a generally better user experience than the built-in version did, at least for iPhone and iPod touch users. An update to add proper iPad support is forthcoming. YouTube links will open in Google's YouTube app rather than Safari after it's installed."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-ios-6.0/

I've just tested YouTube on my iPhone (4, iOS6) and it's playing videos fine, without the YouTube app

midlife_crisis said:
jaycey said:
midlife_crisis said:

I skimmed this last week and picked up on the "Links to YouTube videos will now play in the Safari browser by default". Guessing that's not the case :

"YouTube
iOS 6 eliminates the built-in YouTube app that has been included since the original iPhone was released in 2007. Links to YouTube videos will now play in the Safari browser by default, though iOS 6 still includes the ability to upload videos to YouTube from the Photos app, as before.

The omission of the built-in YouTube app is a relatively small loss, as it received only very minor updates over the years. Google has already released a native YouTube app on the App Store that not only fills in this gap but provides a generally better user experience than the built-in version did, at least for iPhone and iPod touch users. An update to add proper iPad support is forthcoming. YouTube links will open in Google's YouTube app rather than Safari after it's installed."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/instant-expert-secrets-features-of-ios-6.0/

I've just tested YouTube on my iPhone (4, iOS6) and it's playing videos fine, without the YouTube app

Youtube can deliver its videos either using flash or html 5 which safari can render. Each browser sends a user agent string that identifies the browser being used and Youtube will automatically use the HTML5 version for iphone/ipad users.

I used to be a massive Apple fan (not fanboy).

However, of late I'm beginning to wonder about some of their design decisions:

- User interface inconsistencies (e.g. what's with the awful Calendar UI?)
- The "jumping through hoops" you have to go through to turn 3G, Wi-Fi, Location Services, Bluetooth etc on and off as you need them. Why not group them all together at the top, or even better, offer custom profiles like Nokia did back in the 90s! Eg. "At home" could have Wi-Fi on, 3G off, Location Services off. "Out and about" would have 3G on, Wi-Fi off, Location Services off, etc. Would save no end of hassle jumping back and forth through the (badly thought out) menu structure. Does anyone know if any other smartphone/OS do this?
- One word.... Maps. Truly shocking.

For the first time in my life, I'm considering other options. I do love my Macbook Pro though! And I think I'd miss the ease in which everything can be in sync, and also the iPhone Remote app!

John

Back
Top Bottom