Apple Hatred

Canuck said:
I use whatever I fancy using at the time based on what it can do relative to my needs, and on price... I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 at the moment, it does everything I need it to and it cost me zero pounds as my upgrade on my O2 phone contract, plus I got £60 back from O2 for recycling my old HTC, so I'm actually in profit. There is nothing that would make me go out and spend £500 on a phone, unless it's doing something that my phone just can't do.

Here is the true marvel about cell phones and tablets, I think - the market has conspired to convince folk that they are getting free stuff, whether it is minutes, texts, up-grades or whatever. A cell phone is so 'free' that people sit next to a landline phone at 4p a minute and use 'free' minutes on their cell.

How much do you pay a month for your 'free' minutes? (and then go hunting for the cheapest DE blades!)

Not just you, Canuck - most everyone is at it.

Fido said:
I began my computer days with a PC and remained dependent on a local guru for help. Since switching to Apple, I rarely need help, and if I do, I get it from the very helpful staff ay my local Apple store.

Everything has caught up, if that helps. Windows is very robust these days too. I used to be asked near weekly by friends and family to fix things. I was asked yesterday but it's the first time I think this year.

Apple though offer a product with rounded edges, you do pay extra for it, but if it's what you're looking for then it's fine.

I don't see big issue in all honesty. I don't like the company or products, but that's just me, and why that would give me a platform to attack others is a mystery.

I do, however, find that there's a lot of snobby hipsters with apple products sneering at other people. And I do think there's people who buy apple as a fashion statement. Oh well, if anything it just makes them easier to spot :)

I pay £20 a month for my phone package Carl, I don't subscribe to the view that any of my services are free, they're costing me £20 a month after all! ;-) My minutes, texts, internet etc are included in the package I pay for.

The way I see it, my phone was as good as free seeing as I'm happy to pay 20 nicker for what I get in terms of services, particularly internet access whilst out and about, that's valuable to me.

sunus said:
I believe that recent anti-Apple sentiment has arisen not from a dislike of Apple products but from the behaviour of the corporation. Their declared "thermo-nuclear war" on Android via the courts rather than the marketplace is increasingly looking like the actions of a bully. Apple built their company largely by being a superb integrator of other peoples ideas and for them now to claim ownership of trivial bits of bling such as rounded corners, smacks of hypocrisy.

That pretty well sums up my feeling as well.

I use apple and non apple products. I've used PC's for years and what MS has done has taken thinks forward and lots of people are happy with that and accept thats just how things are done. After using a mac for a year now and having to use a brand new pc last night it amazes me how behind windows still is and people still put up with it.

Apple is at the top of the tree at the moment and will get all the abuse Microsoft had when it was at the top.
I do not like all the lawsuits going on at the moment but it's just how it goes.

The ads for the Iphone 5 are a load of bollocks precision cut edges nice though they are is not a selling point for me.
Iphones are over priced for what they are but a good bench mark for other smart phones to measure up to. I currently use an HTC desire s it's just as quick as an Iphone 4 but a fraction of the price.

The Iphone popularity is a good thing because we all benefit from the other phone makers having to raise their game to take the Iphone on and in the current climate if they don't they will suffer Blackberry and Nokia have had a rough time from not innovating.

The 'free phone' just reminded me.
Guy at work is spending absurd amounts of money for 18 months. But its OK as he gets a #ahem# free iphone.
I then told him that I would give him a free Ferrari. Yes, thats right, free. All he has to do is give me £5,000 every month for 5 years. He didn't see the funny side.

Canuck said:
........ what I get in terms of services, particularly internet access whilst out and about, that's valuable to me.

See, that's the bit I fail utterly to understand! Clearly it's an age thing - and not all older folk are like me in this respect, freely acknowledged - but when I'm out and about, that's what I'm doing - being out and about. Anything internet related waits till I get home - I guess there is nothing urgent enough in my internet life for me to need access 24/7.

So - what do you do on the internet whilst out and about? Open question.

I know I'm getting 'left behind' by the phone/tablet/pad phenomenon - but I just flat out don't get it! The need for, I mean - except on long train journeys. I guess supermarket queues would be another place but I strike up a conversation with the person behind me then.

Baffled of Southampton

Here's why I like to do it on the go.

If I get an email, the chances are it's in reply to something I sent, and I've been waiting for the reply. Either I reply to the email there and then, or I wait until I get home from work. If I'm, for example, trying to sort something out with a company then waiting until I get home means a day between messages. If I do it there and then 5 messages could go in the space of a day.

I also like to do things there and then. so if someone mentions a product which solves a problem, or I want to look up the name of an actor in a film, or the name of that book I read last year having the internet with me is very handy.

Yesterday I was out and about and I used the internet to check a train time, to email pictures I'd taken to someone so she didn't have to wait for them, to check ferry times, to check a train time again, to check the football scores and probably a few other things I can't remember.

There's certainly nothing urgent enough that means I need the internet - but it is very handy.

Bechet45 said:
Canuck said:
........ what I get in terms of services, particularly internet access whilst out and about, that's valuable to me.

See, that's the bit I fail utterly to understand! Clearly it's an age thing - and not all older folk are like me in this respect, freely acknowledged - but when I'm out and about, that's what I'm doing - being out and about. Anything internet related waits till I get home - I guess there is nothing urgent enough in my internet life for me to need access 24/7.

I know I'm getting 'left behind' by the phone/tablet/pad phenomenon - but I just flat out don't get it! The need for, I mean - except on long train journeys. I guess supermarket queues would be another place but I strike up a conversation with the person behind me then.

Baffled of Southampton

depends what you do for a living, im traveling 2+ hours a day to and from work soon to be 3+ and use the internet as something to do

Well I need to access the internet for work purposes, I'm changing careers at the moment and there's a lot of research to be done, contacts need maintaining, I need to contact a lot of industry companies and I need to be contactable by them.
If I was retired then granted, I wouldn't need access to the interent if I was out and about, but work often makes these demands on people these days. When I was still in work my employers expected me to be contactable 24/7, and that won't change in my new career.

shanky887614 said:
Bechet45 said:
Canuck said:

Baffled of Southampton

depends what you do for a living, im traveling 2+ hours a day to and from work soon to be 3+ and use the internet as something to do

Ditto! An OU course does not appeal to me. Well now it's mentioned I might have a look!

I need the net or I don't get paid. all my bookings and invoices done online now and jobs change at short notice so I need to be in contact email is vital for me. If I did not do the type of work I do I would not even own a mobile.

Back
Top Bottom