Apple Hatred

I frequent a few other sites, and have noticed 'Apple' really polarises opinion.

There seems to be Apple lovers and Apple haters and very few who sit in the middle. Example, some of my ex-workmates have set up a, frankly pathetic, Facebook group called 'Hate Apple, Love Samsung' or something similar and have gathered quite a few fans.

I have an Android phone and an IPad and can see the good points and flaws of both operating systems. Am I odd?

I get why the ape system suits some people, but after playing around with ithings I just don't like them. I wouldn't call it hatred I just don't like them. But I agree that I don't know many people with a mix of apple and other products. Must of my friends use android, but those who have an iphone tend to have the whole ecosystem of apple things and I guess that is one of the reasons I don't like them. I prefer to tinker with things and mix and match hardware.

I sit in the middle. Perhaps because I'm not enough of a techy to really pay much attention. That said, I like to have stuff that works well and - by all accounts - Apple products and their software do just that.

I've owned an iPhone - which was an amazing phone. Yet, when it came to upgrading, I chose a Samsung Galaxy SII. When it comes to laptops, however, I've always had a mental block against spending over £450. That's based on thinking that if I only get 3 years out of a £450 laptop - that represents good enough value to me. Touching £1000 on a Mac would have implications for my sketchy value/year principle. It's now come up to my 3 year mark with this laptop (an 11" Toshiba Satellite T1110) which has served me very well. The fact that it's a little dinky machine with reasonable power (more so than a netbook anyway) makes upgrading to a MacBook Air somewhat alluring...

H.a.t.e. is a banned word in our house. From an early age we have tried to make sure the kids don't use that word to explain a dislike for something. I don't know what is is about it, and it may sound odd. But there is just something about h.a.t.e., we're not religious in anyway. I suppose it's just a pointless waste of time.

Totally agree Paul, while I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of Apple kit it doesn't mean that everything else is rubbish. I chose to go down this route for ease of use, setup and for commonality so that I didn't always feel I was sorting out problems on a PC. However, there are shortcomings with their kit and software but I find I can live with them more easily.

I have no problem with Apple products or people who use them I don't, and never have owned an apple product.
I think its maybe just a case of jumping on the bandwagon thinking its fashionable to dislike apple.

I love my apple products not because its apple but because it suits my needs an requirements. It's up to everyone else what they buy. We as consumers have a choice to buy what we want.

The only apple thing I own is and iPod shuffle (I think that's the name), perfect size for the gym, I just wish I could just drag and drop mp3's like any normal device. I don't use iTunes...

No interest in iPhones etc.. I'll stick with my Gnex thanks.

Re: RE: Apple Hatred

Helveticum said:
People dislike fanboys much more than the products.

That's the camp I'm in. I've never owned any Apple products, but I have used quite a few. On the computing front, I've used windows most of the time and am used to how it works, so when I did a web design course I struggled to use the Macs in the class.

My girlfriend has an iphone and ipod touch, the both work quite well, but no better or worse than than my android phone and Creative Zen.

What does get me going is when people rattle on about how superior Apple products are, when IMHO the only real overall difference is the asthetics of the object, ehich is not worth the increased purchace and repair costs.

We have windows laptops android tablet, android phone, iPad, iPod's and a Mac. After many years avoiding apple products I now prefer them. But they all perform and do things in different ways.

I use the windows laptops still for anything I need to perform Office tasks on and my iPad is always used for surfing, except if it requires flash player, which is the biggest pain going.

I don't use iTunes, it's far too expensive.

monkeytennis said:
The thing that confuses me is how people go on about how superior the iphone is, yet it is still behind the times on processor ect. And the 5's lack of NFC is just bizarre.

I like my iPhone and wouldn't change it but I wouldn't say it's the best thing going though. SWMBO has an HTC, looks good etc etc, but for me it doesn't work as well. But I know others who swear by them, it's all about what's best for you. There's good and bad in all.

I believe that recent anti-Apple sentiment has arisen not from a dislike of Apple products but from the behaviour of the corporation. Their declared "thermo-nuclear war" on Android via the courts rather than the marketplace is increasingly looking like the actions of a bully. Apple built their company largely by being a superb integrator of other peoples ideas and for them now to claim ownership of trivial bits of bling such as rounded corners, smacks of hypocrisy.

sunus said:
I believe that recent anti-Apple sentiment has arisen not from a dislike of Apple products but from the behaviour of the corporation. Their declared "thermo-nuclear war" on Android via the courts rather than the marketplace is increasingly looking like the actions of a bully. Apple built their company largely by being a superb integrator of other peoples ideas and for them now to claim ownership of trivial bits of bling such as rounded corners, smacks of hypocrisy.

It's this suing each other for "stolen" ideas that gets me. Never mind that just make your products better and more accessible.

Back
Top Bottom