Apple Hatred

For as long as I can remember there has been a sort of stereotype-driven conversation in which the Apple boys seem to regard the others as soulless styleless penny-pinchers with no regard for the value of their time, while themselves being viewed in return as idiotic fashion-victim style-over-substance dupes with no regard for the value of their money. As with most enduring cliches, both sides have always had a point, though never nearly as much of one as they'd like.

The iPhone is completely not the right device for me. But I'm not you. That's fine.

The company is an ill behaved one. Their customers are looking to buy exclusivity. The device is not as good as other devices which sell for less. The attitude towards their products is an Emperor's clothes, and they use aspirational divisive marketing.

Look at the attitude of the Apple fans when Android got instagram.

Here. Having read that I find it next to impossible to not feel sneered at by apple fans.

It's only a phone. The one in my pocket is only a phone, but no, I wouldn't have an iphone instead if "I could afford it". I've had that said to me. I've also had people puzzled at me for "going cheap" on my phone when I have very expensive earphones I use with it etc. The phone I have is the one that suited me best at the time.

So people who have an Apple product? I just think they've paid more for what they need, but that's what brand names are, a sign of quality meaning you don't need to take risks or shop around. I'm fine with that. If you think about shaving we all tend to stick to the better known brands for that reason and I'm sure we could make savings if we put effort in elsewhere.

But there's an awful lot of petty little people thinking that they've bought more than a phone with their iPhone.

I had never tried an apple, untill I went into the apple store at bluewater and had a play:blush: for me, they just do what I want them to do quicklly, and without the fuss ( shame about the price.)

I have a laptop runing windows, but me, and it...don't see eye to eye. I just don't like windows, it's only a personal thing :angel:

I have no strong feeling on the matter, one way or the other.

Apple devices seem a bit pricey compared to others with similar specs but you could say that about a lot of products that are popular.

I'll give the iPhone 5 the once-over to see if it ticks the right boxes for me - if not I won't buy it.

joe mcclaine said:

Apple devices seem a bit pricey compared to others with similar specs but you could say that about a lot of products that are popular.

I'll give the iPhone 5 the once-over to see if it ticks the right boxes for me - if not I won't buy it.

I think you've encapsulated exactly the way I feel about it.

I am not anti-apple products.
The iphones, ipods and ipads are amazing bits of technology.
But I don't own any. And due to probably cost alone, I won't own any.
My work buys me a phone. I was told to pick one without knowing a budget. My FD said 'chose what you would have bought with your own money'. So I got a £90 Nokia instead of the £600 iphone.
Some people at work thought I was stupid. Some admired my decision.
Yet not once have I not been able to do something.
In fact not having an iphone is often quicker. A colleague was telling me how great Siri is. He proceeded to demonstrate what it could do. Yet whenever he spoke a command someone else in the office did what he wanted quicker, without using iphones.
There are people I know with iphones who don't tell me they have one. Some people I found out by accident. You don't hear about these people. But there is another camp, the fanboys, who go on and on and flippin on about how good they are. Yes we know they are good.... just stop telling us.
Far too many people use the Apple brand as a status symbol. And to a large number of people, its not.
If I start wearing Gucci clothes thats fine. But if I start pointing out the Gucci label to people, tell them how much warmer the clothes make me feel, how they were 'only £200 for a t-shirt' then that would get on peoples tits.

Tall_Paul said:
joe mcclaine said:

I think you've encapsulated exactly the way I feel about it.

+1 on the above, I have looked at the iPhone 5 and decided that it is just too expensive for what it is. So I am looking at a secondhand 4s they are about 1/2 the price for an equivalent one.
I have a Macbook, did I buy it because it I want to feel superior ............not at all I got because I like it and it does what I want and with no fuss. Could I have got a Windows based laptop for less with a similar spec.........of course.
And I don't worship the "Apple God" unlike the wankers in Haliks post I just see it as a tool that works for me. I have to admit that post made me laugh and cringe as well, just shows how mob mentality works.
After all does anyone "need" razors/brushes costing 100's of pounds and soap costing £30.00+ of course not it is just choice and I am glad we have it.

Just as a price comparison, the 2 main rivals to the iPhone (there's probably a HTC too?)

Samsung Galaxy S3 going for around £450 offline
Nokia Lumia 920 rumered to be around £500 offline when released.

Regardless of spec or the arguments of which is the better phone,the iPhone is made entirely of Glass & Auminium and (arguably!) is better aestheticaly & ergonomicaly.

Before someone jumps in and points to the price of the 32gb & 64gb iPhone.
I think it's extortionate the extra you have to pay for a bit more storage space on the phone compared with the equivalent micro sd card.
But the base model price is on par with it's rivals I think.

jaycey said:
Just as a price comparison, the 2 main rivals to the iPhone (there's probably a HTC too?)

Samsung Galaxy S3 going for around £450 offline
Nokia Lumia 920 rumered to be around £500 offline when released.

Regardless of spec or the arguments of which is the better phone,the iPhone is made entirely of Glass & Auminium and (arguably!) is better aestheticaly & ergonomicaly.

Before someone jumps in and points to the price of the 32gb & 64gb iPhone.
I think it's extortionate the extra you have to pay for a bit more storage space on the phone compared with the equivalent micro sd card.
But the base model price is on par with it's rivals I think.

the gs3 is built mainly from plastics but is still very sturdy

the htc one x is not as fast but looks better and the case is madevof metal.

i cant really tell you more about one x because i bought a gs3 based on battery life stats

Sheesh! Does it actually matter? I use an old fashioned device called face to face conversation. I have a land line, a computer, a camera which I use at home and all my five senses when I'm out and about, living in the present not lost in an electronic gizmo.

Sheesh again!

Bechet45 said:
Sheesh! Does it actually matter? I use an old fashioned device called face to face conversation. I have a land line, a computer, a camera which I use at home and all my five senses when I'm out and about, living in the present not lost in an electronic gizmo.

Sheesh again!

i think unlike a lot of people the only reason i have a smartphone is mainly to make calls.

i work in the building industry and how are you supposed to communicate with people your working with when you are on differnet floors or even different buildings.

if i was on pay as you go i would be spending a fortune.

shanky887614 said:
the gs3 is built mainly from plastics but is still very sturdy

the htc one x is not as fast but looks better and the case is madevof metal.

i cant really tell you more about one x because i bought a gs3 based on battery life stats

I've got a One X and, unfortunately, it has a plastic case.

In terms of performance, I don't think you'd notice any difference between the S3 and the One X. They both have a quad-core CPU, and in fact the One X's is slightly more powerful. I think benchmarking tests score the S3 faster, but only marginally and you wouldn't really notice the difference.

The main advantage of the S3 is the removable battery and microSD card slot. I only got the One X as I got a great one year deal with Vodafone. If I'd been buying I would have gone for the S3.

Apple fans are little more than sickos. Modern day slavers .
Just like the later Caesars, deliberately confusing money with worth.
Look at me, I can make a brown face perform for peanuts, but still throw cash down the drain.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

My wife is an Apple bunny, utterly devoted to iPhones.
I use whatever I fancy using at the time based on what it can do relative to my needs, and on price... I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 at the moment, it does everything I need it to and it cost me zero pounds as my upgrade on my O2 phone contract, plus I got £60 back from O2 for recycling my old HTC, so I'm actually in profit. There is nothing that would make me go out and spend £500 on a phone, unless it's doing something that my phone just can't do. I don't include "look marginally and arguably more aesthetically pleasing" in that, I mean something worth £500.
Does this new iPhone allow time travel or something? It strikes me as the technological equivalent of the Emperor's new clothes.

Back
Top Bottom