Acquisitions Mon 9th Feb - Sun 15th Feb

IMG_8855.JPG

... can you guess what it is yet?

IMG_8856.JPG

Ever Ready 1909 (Patent 14526/09)

British Made, my best guess is that this was a short-lived "new" Ever Ready, perhaps even a prototype design which was clearly the inspiration for the 1924 patent 'Shovel Head'.

IMG_8857.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

Not only, but also ...

IMG_8860.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8863.JPG

GEM DeLuxe (c.1916) AKA the 'Open Comb Damaskeene'.

Very pleased :D

pjgh said:

Hiya doin Paul,

Seeing those lovely things reminded me about looking around for some to keep in my fishing tackle box this summer. They're lighter than the usual DEs that go on my line as sinkers, but the SEs might be ok for small pan fish with no current in the lakes.

I see all kinds of those SE things in the wild for almost free. Still too much....heh.

Congrats on the grotesque additions to your arsenal (House of Horrors),

Martin

Tall_Paul said:
Couple of great scores there, Paul. Love the Damaskeene!

Cheers! :D

AlexNoodles said:
pjgh said:
"snip"

Pardon me but noob question here, in pic 5/7/8 what is the odd thing out/extra metal bit?

The bit that sticks out of the end of the handle? It's a stropper - you slide the blade into that and whip it up and down a strop, like a straight. Or, rather, chaps did. Back in these days, blades were ever so slightly thicker, different steel (I presume) and intended to be stropped to use repeatedly.

mpf9ret said:
Paul,
Where on earth do you manage to find these great razors, with good looking cases too.
Mike B

Funnily enough, those two came to me! But yes, it does help to have a reputation for a perverse interest in curious shaving contraptions :blush:

dodgy said:
pjgh said:

Hiya doin Paul,

Seeing those lovely things reminded me about looking around for some to keep in my fishing tackle box this summer. They're lighter than the usual DEs that go on my line as sinkers, but the SEs might be ok for small pan fish with no current in the lakes.

I see all kinds of those SE things in the wild for almost free. Still too much....heh.

Congrats on the grotesque additions to your arsenal (House of Horrors),

Martin

'ey up! Attractive to fish, too, now there's something Ever Ready could boast about!

Cheers! My Museum of Horrors is that little bit more grotesque now :D

AlexNoodles said:
pjgh said:
"snip"

Pardon me but noob question here, in pic 5/7/8 what is the odd thing out/extra metal bit?

that is a stropping attachment, you would take the handle off the razor, attach the stropper, that then can hold the blade so you can strop it like a straight razor. blades were not that cheap back in them days i guess!

pjgh said:
The bit that sticks out of the end of the handle? It's a stropper - you slide the blade into that and whip it up and down a strop, like a straight. Or, rather, chaps did. Back in these days, blades were ever so slightly thicker, different steel (I presume) and intended to be stropped to use repeatedly.
discodaz said:
that is a stropping attachment, you would take the handle off the razor, attach the stropper, that then can hold the blade so you can strop it like a straight razor. blades were not that cheap back in them days i guess!

Aaaah excellent! So you reverse store it in the handle and it comes out when needed then?

awesome!

This arrived in the mail today.

A Gillette Psycho from the 50's in near-mint (or mint) condition with a working tube-key.
It's heavy, it's great looking and it has a rather interesting history to it. I love it.

2m3il5h.jpg

pjgh said:
IMG_8855.JPG

... can you guess what it is yet?

IMG_8856.JPG

Ever Ready 1909 (Patent 14526/09)

British Made, my best guess is that this was a short-lived "new" Ever Ready, perhaps even a prototype design which was clearly the inspiration for the 1924 patent 'Shovel Head'.

IMG_8857.JPG

IMG_8858.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

Not only, but also ...

IMG_8860.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

IMG_8863.JPG

GEM DeLuxe (c.1916) AKA the 'Open Comb Damaskeene'.

Nice, do they look familliar:s

Darkbulb said:
This arrived in the mail today.

A Gillette Psycho from the 50's in near-mint (or mint) condition with a working tube-key.
It's heavy, it's great looking and it has a rather interesting history to it. I love it.

2m3il5h.jpg

One of the few Tech's from that era that has eluded me, so far !! Not keen on the later ones.

Good catch.....:)

Back
Top Bottom