A late starting Penwithian ex-pat opens the door and steps outside

A little update, silly question and a the start of a slide down the slope of great slipperiness (unless that slide start was lurking before joining).

I'm gradually climbing the lather curve after my unrepeated successful first attempt and I'm probably attaining a grade D in use of razor (angles, keeping pressure minimal). All this shall improve with practise.
I decided to start with Derby blades and stick with them until the pack is finished to keep progress true.

So... my silly question: My inevitable first nick came today (lather too thick, razor dragging, the lure of compensatory pressure). I expected that and it won't be the first although, my goodness, the Alum matchstick sting was a surprise. So... the question: Having nicked myself on the with-the-grain pass, is it okay to go against the grain over the nick or is that inadvisable (my instinct is the latter). Consensus ?

Being the sort of person who needs to keep learning ("never stop learning" - as important a mantra as "never get off the boat" ), I've been exploring vintage Gillette razors using this and a variety of other sources. I've inevitably been looking at eBay. As a treat for when I've attained a level of confidence, I successfully bid on what I believe to be a mild and reasonably agile gold ball-end Tech in functional and cosmetically reasonable condition for £13. Wheeeeeeee

Most nicks are all but healed within a day, and if you are careful with your pressure, the blade should go right over the scab without ripping it open.

As for the Tech, I don't know why you would want to wait until you are more confident to use it. Techs are one of the most forgiving, mild mannered razors out there.

I don't know what other options you have as far as blades go, but many people, myself included, consider Derby's to be one small step above shaving with the sharpened edge of a tin can. On the other hand, Derby's do have a devoted following of folks who swear by them. Blades are a very personal choice for most people. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

Thanks @PLANofMAN
I've a small selection of blades from the sample pack I ordered with the razor Perma-Sharp, Gillette Sharp Edge, Gillette Super Stainless, Astra Super Platinum, Shark Super Stainless and Feather (with the razor).
I shall be kind to myself and switch to the Astra SP (the Derby was selected as a `generic` blade).

I reckon I need to use a fixed combination whilst getting to grips with basic techniques. The Tech is a reward for when I've a semblance of consistency.

+1 PLANofMAN's comments above, Gillette Techs are very forgiving razors. And if you're careful you shouldn't have any problems shaving over a previous nick./weeper. If you're dubious, try WTG followed by XTG. If all is still well, then try ATG over the spot.

And you are indeed on your way down the slippery slope.

While I haven't had a bad experience with Derby blades, they're not a favourite, Astra SP would be my personal blade of choice. Despite their reputation, I thought Feather blades were overrated, frankly. I've still got plenty of others to try though, that's what makes shaving such an intensely personal, and fascinating, experience.

Good price on the Tech, by the way. Should clean up a bit too, if you want, with hot (not boiling) water, toothbrush, washing up liquid and gentle scrubbing.

Regards,
Chris

+1 PLANofMAN's comments above, Gillette Techs are very forgiving razors. And if you're careful you shouldn't have any problems shaving over a previous nick./weeper. If you're dubious, try WTG followed by XTG. If all is still well, then try ATG over the spot.

Good price on the Tech, by the way. Should clean up a bit too, if you want, with hot (not boiling) water, toothbrush, washing up liquid and gentle scrubbing.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks,
Today's shave was an approximate WTG / ATG / XTG with overly hydrated lather. It wasn't terribly equal (Jaw line, corners of my mouth and a thin strip just above my top lip attest to this after 14 hours growth).
The Tech - I wasn't sure what a good price was but I'm very comfortable - having seen your reference, I noticed the seller / company has a similar one on their website for twice that. I shall apply TLC as suggested.

Did this forum grease the slope when I wasn't looking?

Thanks,
Today's shave was an approximate WTG / ATG / XTG with overly hydrated lather. It wasn't terribly equal (Jaw line, corners of my mouth and a thin strip just above my top lip attest to this after 14 hours growth).
The Tech - I wasn't sure what a good price was but I'm very comfortable - having seen your reference, I noticed the seller / company has a similar one on their website for twice that. I shall apply TLC as suggested.

Did this forum grease the slope when I wasn't looking?
As a vaper you should be used to this :)

Welcome, Tom, it's good to see another enthusiastic disciple getting the hang of things.

A word of warning - vintage razors are like Tolkien's rings: all consuming, extremely precious and impossible to resist. I love my old Gillette but dear me, it didn't open the floodgates so much as smash them to smithereens. :D

All the best.

I fear it's worse than the vaping game...
Where as I might buy a second hand RBA or some interesting copy from one of the Chinese retailers and spend a while mastering / taming or simply making it useble, I've just spent a happy half an hour or so identifying an interesting razor on eBay....
Lots to learn :D

I dare not scratch the itch again for a little while. In a day or so a package will arrive and I'll feign a sheepish apology about it being Kanthal or summat which if forgotten I've ordered. It's easier that way than saying "this shaving lark is an emerging hobby and one week after using my DE razor for the first time I've bought an old razor on eBay" followed by some vague vow of moderation.
No more hardware purchases this month (unless I win the raffle).

Back
Top Bottom