A late starting Penwithian ex-pat opens the door and steps outside

Well folks, here be me, approaching 48 years old and I only discovered wet shaving mid November.
Admittedly, most of my adult life has been spent bearded with dalliances with my trusted Braun Foil scrapper, cumulating in a near clean-shaven state.

Why the switch? Visiting my mother for a week back in Penzance last November, I left the electric razor there and, although I was staying in North Cornwall for the second week, wasn't in a position to either collect nor appropriate to receive the device. Whilst grooming (appearance) has never ranked highly for me for I prioritise, brutally, in an outward direction both within my professional and personal life, a few days of growth wasn't acceptable. Thus I bit the bullet and travelled to the nearest town to purchased cheap swivel headed Gillette "Proglide" and an aerosol shaving cream as a stop gap...

There was no raw hanging skin, not even blood and I noticed a difference for not only did I feel cleaner, I also felt better about myself, for self esteem is not a personal strength of mine. This was an interesting development and I started to pay attention to both myself and also the psychological impact the intimate act of shaving was having upon me.

A ritual started to develop that awarded me twenty minutes of self-focused time each morning with a clear and measurable objective. More than that, I discovered that I was enjoying the act and I came to the conclusion that what I viewed for years as an unnecessary chore to be completed with the least impact on my day-to-day life was, on multiple levels, of benefit.

I recognised areas to improve: Imperfect result (clumsiness with poor technique), the failings of quick dry cream, the monetary and ecological cost of cartridges.... alongside the areas to nurture

I started reading about traditional double edged safety razors: beginners guides on technique and core beginners products. The decision to switch is made.

I discovered shaving forums and eventually registered here rather than lurking anonymously.

I learnt that there is no `one size fits all`, of aggressiveness, of pre and post shave creams, being complemented on the smell of the Nivia balm I use after shaving, 30 degree angles, ensuring the blade is aligned correctly in the head, the importance of a good brush, the durability of vintage razors.... <here be the hook> ...I learnt that there is a certain hobbyist clique striving towards an ideal which means there is lots to play with...

I set myself a strict starting budget, made a mental matrix of what was important and what I could skimp on at the outset, looked at vendor reputations, built a short-list and selected products.

Edwin Jagger Hydrating Pre-Shave Lotion (hopefully a buffer whilst I learn to maintain a constant angle)
Edwin Jagger "3D" DE3D14 Safety Razor (hopefully the best beginners razor) with Freebie Razor Blades & Alum Matchstick Set
Omega 49 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush with Red Handle (cheap, to be replaced)
Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Vendor selected Razor Blade Sample Pack

Today I flicked the switch on the Shave Lounge vendors site and reckoned, by way of thanks, I should introduce myself.

I'm not sure what shall happen next...
I may give up on the shaving lark as a passing fad (probably not, I've invested sufficient time and am mindful of benefits) - if this occurs I'll probably disappear quietly,
I may progress to the point where I'm happily shaving and content with the results - if this occurs I'll most likely report back with progress reports....
I may elevate shaving to a hobbyist level in the same way I've done with various other areas, at which point I'll become an engaged member of this community.

Off topic personal stuff - I'm married, one 20 year old daughter, sadly missing having pets in the house (RIP), ex-biker (no longer riding for medical reasons), know a bit about very large databases and enabling change within business from that we can glean from the contents, I'm a vaper (an emphatically active hobbyist advocate), esoteric tastes in music, books, love the outdoors, active in my community and... it's getting boring now so I'll stop.

Thanks for reading and more importantly thanks for empowerment I've received from reading the past contributions of members within this forum.

Comprehensive, indeed! Welcome to TSR.

From memory, the pre-shave also makes for a nice post-shave. Once you've rinsed off, give your face a splash with cold water, apply a dot of the pre-shave to your chin and work it over the shaved area. Just a dot.

Have a lot of fun! See you around ...

Hi Tomj777 welcome aboard. Great introduction.

It sounds like you've done your research and have some nice kit on the way, you've also used a great retailer and friend of this site.

If you need anything give us a shout we are a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

Good intro.
Sounds like you have made a good choice of gear to start with.
I am a whole 6 month veteran. I am amazed at how much I am enjoying shaving.
Like yourself, it used to be a chore and a bit of a drag.
Enjoy.

Thank you all. I find myself most comfortable with small forums, which I think this is, and it's clearly friendly.

I don't see user tagging functionality within the editor so hopefully this will work.
@uncle-bertie.4561 Thank you - I'd completely forgotten that sketch in your .sig

@electrif.6183 I set myself a £60 ceiling. I fear there could be a shinitus risk as I've already started looking at vintage models on eBay and reading up on identification. No purchases yet though (other than a better brush and some stand to hang said brush to dry)

@mph.3849 I fear I might be.

I've promised my wife not to let this become an "out of control" hobby (as a hobbyist vaper I have so many mods, RBA's, RDA's, bottles, syringes, flavourings, a shelf in my freezer with nicotine, wire, Japanese cotton wool........ CBA beats smoking hands down, mind you).

I've promised my wife not to let this become an "out of control" hobby.

Tom,
Welcome to TSR, comprehensive introduction. Good luck with the budget limit - resistance is useless, see how long it takes for full blown ADs to set in.

Seriously, when (not if) you turn to vintage razors you'll find plenty of friendly, useful advice here.

Regards,
Chris

Tom,
Welcome to TSR, comprehensive introduction. Good luck with the budget limit - resistance is useless, see how long it takes for full blown ADs to set in.

Seriously, when (not if) you turn to vintage razors you'll find plenty of friendly, useful advice here.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks @chrisbd
I just saw you comment on another Newbie thread where you said "most of us find shaving to be an almost meditative experience" and in doing so I think you summed up what has caught me.

Tomj777,
Glad you're enjoying the experience. It took a long time in my case to return to DE shaving and ditch the canned goo, when I discovered how it felt to do shave properly. Since then I haven't looked back. My family would take issue with the notion that it's a "brief" portion of the day but the experience shouldn't be rushed.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom