A late starting Penwithian ex-pat opens the door and steps outside

Thanks folks.
With luck a package will be delivered by one of wonderful postal people tomorrow morning and I'll say good bye to the cartridge.
I shall report back.

One thing that surprised me about the pro-glide cartridges is the variable quality, for what I assumed was high up in their range, although that may well be the naive and ever flawed assumption that price equals... Some of the cartridges were noticeably better than others.

So... imagine my disappointment when I return home from this morning's medical appointment (where, incidentally, I discussed this new, meditative, time-for-me experience) to discover that the only post was my daughters bank statement... And no red card.
Sniff.
Now imagine my joy when my next door neighbour knocked on my door with a middling sized white box that she'd signed for and taken custody of....
20160104_163441_zps48rgnud5.jpg

Plan...
  1. Practise 30° angles
  2. Practise making lather
  3. Select blade
  4. ...
At least that's the plan....

Last edited:
And thus it began...
Step one... practise 30° angles... check
Step two... practise lather ... check
Step three.... select blade (Derby, have to start somewhere with that selection pack)... check
Take razor apart...
Wash it...
Unwrap razor blade (that's sharp... ouch)
Place blade onto head... add base plate... screw on handle...:oops:
20160105_1739001_zps5lh64jj5.jpg

Pre-Shave... Lather....
First attempt.... Not impressed....
Running out of time...
Re-apply lather...
Grab Pro-Fusion....
Shave....
(Observe already a world of difference using lather rather than the can)....
Leave for voluntary work.
... Return home... I wonder...
20160105_1739571_zpsupkcexbp.jpg

It will be better tomorrow.
;)

You've got the idea, practice, practice and patience. Allow yourself enough time for the whole process, from preshave to tidy up and aftershave. It will get better, don't be discouraged by the occasional setback.

I was amazed at the difference between the lather from proper shaving soap/cream and canned goo, I'll never go back. Happy shaving.

Regards,
Chris

Two words of advice and a word of caution:

1. With Double Edge razors a light touch is crucial. I'm not going to spout the "No Pressure!" mantra, but you probably are using too much pressure. The goal is beard reduction though multiple passes, not a single pass shearing.

2. Just because you've already shaved, doesn't mean you can't practice lathering. Practice on your hand. It will give you an idea of what is a good lather and what is not.

And now the warning: the phrase "wet shaving will save you money," is a bald faced lie.

1. With Double Edge razors a light touch is crucial. I'm not going to spout the "No Pressure!" mantra, but you probably are using too much pressure. The goal is beard reduction though multiple passes, not a single pass shearing.
In truth, I reckon no amount of pressure would have solved the upside-down base plate problem.
I take to heart the light touch bit though...
I'll still get it wrong mind you... practice shall be all once I've stopped making silly mistakes.
And now the warning: the phrase "wet shaving will save you money," is a bald faced lie.
This is becoming apparent - as long as I don't go overboard like another hobby (for yes, this is becoming as hobby, I sense)....
I'll eventually post a photo of all my vaping stuff...

+1 PLANofMAN's comments, thoroughly sound advice.

I was going to mention the upside down base plate but you had it right in the second photo. Didn't realise you'd shaved with it that way, no wonder it wasn't satisfactory. Must have been really painful.

Enjoy the hobby, see you down the rabbit hole!

Regards,
Chris

This is becoming apparent - as long as I don't go overboard like another hobby (for yes, this is becoming as hobby, I sense)....
I'll eventually post a photo of all my vaping stuff...
Unfortunately, there is no "FastTech.com" equivalent for wet shavers, but if you want a GP PAPS equivalent, I suggest you look into the high end stainless razor market.
Edit: Vintage Gillette razors are really nice and tend to go up in value, unlike most mods.
...just saying...;)

+1 PLANofMAN's comments, thoroughly sound advice.
I was going to mention the upside down base plate but you had it right in the second photo. Didn't realise you'd shaved with it that way, no wonder it wasn't satisfactory. Must have been really painful.
I hummed and urrrhhed ("Ahh'd" ?) about confessing that silliness and decided it would make a few smile, hence the confession and pics.
Surprisingly it wasn't remotely painful, just ineffectual and a little befuddling .

Unfortunately, there is no "FastTech.com" equivalent for wet shavers, but if you want a GP PAPS equivalent, I suggest you look into the high end stainless razor market.
Edit: Vintage Gillette razors are really nice and tend to go up in value, unlike most mods.
...just saying...;)

I should have said something like +1 to your reply.

I'm sort of relieved that there is not FT for this function / hobby and it seems to me that PIF is serving the same purpose (at least for me, although I confess to having a fair few Mech's and Atty's still in rotation from that kind of source).

Second hand GP PAPS are finally coming into my price range - except for my Fortunes, most of my real stuff is second hand, although I'd be nervous these days given the quality of clones (copies). I'm fortunate in that I'm happiest with my mechs:)
Oh - you'll find me active(ish) on AAEC

Re vintage Gillette's - my watch list on eBay is well populated and I've even placed a bid on one (but don't expect to succeed).

(Today's lesson: My Lathering needs more practise)

Back
Top Bottom