A late starting Penwithian ex-pat opens the door and steps outside

The source of adage, despite tormenting (ha!) me yesterday, has left me stumped...
As I said, though, I'm not necessarily a good man... I lied in the above anecdote...

We kept one of the owls back as a memento and it lives at the top of a door frame to tease a certain visitor....
Here he is
20160211_095329_zpsclhyjhoq.jpg

I reckon playing with big boys toys for the pleasure and education of the general public is also a worthy activity.

I know, I spent some time trying to trace the adage, with no joy. I'm intrigued.

But were you lying about the lie? That's no way to treat a (nearly) pensioner! Go to your room and think about what you've done.

That owl's scary, frankly, it would give me the creeps.

I like to think I'd be helping to preserve historic machines and equipment for future generations' education and pleasure, even if it is a big boys steam train set. Actually, as a former mechanical engineer and steam fan it's important to me that the skills required to operate and maintain a steam railway should be preserved and passed on.

Regards,
Chris

I think with "lie" I was a little harsh on myself.
I agree - that's the first time I've seen one of the owls magnified... creepy.
Regarding "soul intact" - I went through wiki lists of 1980's and 1990's TV program titles and latched onto Big Deal with a fair certainty but on watching an episode on youtube and dipping into a couple of others, I wasn't successful. Curiously, Ray Brooks looks a lot like one of the delivery drivers who occasionally works for the hospice (and also works part time with the beeb).

Hi Tom,

Wow! Such an interesting "Welcome to the forum" thread. Some similarities with my venture into "proper" wet shaving.

I've been on here a little while after trying a shavette (Dovo + Lord blades) with a view to trying cut-throat razor shaving (I now have 3....a 1970's (I think) 6/8" Taylor Eye Witness, Gotta 5/8" and a Groffs Special 5/8") and then venturing into DE shaving at Xmas (Suggested a Timor Gunmetal safety razor to the other half as a present) which I have been using with Gillette 7 O'clock blades.

Getting to grips with the shavette was a great learning curve and indeed, pressure.....or the lack of it, made for a much more successful shave with minimal nicks and skin irritation. I'm now back on that curve with the DE razor, haha!

You are pretty local to me Tom. I am in Farnborough, Hants. I have not tried local charity shops or even antique shops (proper ones are probably in Guildford)......but I do see a few in passing at work as a highways surveyor in the South East of England and I may well pop my head in one or two and ask if they have any vintage razors I could look at.

I'm currently on the lookout for a birth year and quarter Gillette and have had a few PMs from a guy on here that has one on offer which I am interested in. I'm 46 years old so 1969 is a little limited. TTO Black beauty adjustable (short and long handle), Black handled Super speed, Tech, Techmatic (not sure I like the look of this one) and the Knack seem to be my options. I'm not limiting myself to my birth year only, but it seems a good place to start. I'm in no rush to build my collection.

I am tempted to get a 1967 Q 4 Gillette Lady for the other half without telling her in advance to get her onside a bit more with my new interest. They come in a nice pastel blue coloured handle with stars above the handle. Worth considering for your missus if they are available for her birth year an quarter???

I'm not on here religiously so will nip in and out from time to time depending on what is niggling at my interest at any particular time. When I do. I'll try and catch up on your journey.

All the best,

Graham

Thanks for writing, Graham. Local indeed.
The charity shops local to you are pretty good - worth pursuing although I've not seen anything bar a skuttle in one.
The birth year challenge is an interesting one - I've a year on you so have similar restrictions except that the last of the slim handled adjustable razors were made then. Now my good lady... well, she has more interesting options (what with her being a small number of years older than me) but I don't think I'll stand a frogs chance of selling the idea.

Back
Top Bottom