Worth the upgrade?

Ids said:
Ok full details £101 plus VAT
2 band super
22mm knot
Loft they can do 48 or 52 or what ever you want.
Not a bullgoose second

That doesn't make any sense but that doesn't surprise me with Simpson. It doesn't make any sense because with the exception of a few limited edition ranges for Bullgoose, it was Simpson policy NOT to make custom brushes outside their standard model range, and that's what a 57 2 band would be.

But hey, if you like it and they are offering why not? I did notice with the Bullgoose 57 that the knot isn't the classic 2 band bulb, so they might have gone for something different there. Worth asking about before ordering.

Simpsons state this on their site:

"Please note that all of our Simpson Shaving Brushes are bespoke products and hand made to order. Therefore please allow 7 - 10 days maximum for delivery, taking into account manufacturing & shipping times."

So if you order direct you get what you ask for? At a price!

antdad said:
Ids said:
2 band super
22mm knot
Not a bullgoose second

That doesn't make any sense but that doesn't surprise me with Simpson. It doesn't make any sense because with the exception of a few limited edition ranges for Bullgoose, it was Simpson policy NOT to make custom brushes outside their standard model range, and that's what a 57 2 band would be.

But hey, if you like it and they are offering why not? I did notice with the Bullgoose 57 that the knot isn't the classic 2 band bulb, so they might have gone for something different there. Worth asking about before ordering.

Guess it's not the policy?

What did you mean about the bulb?

Fido said:
Simpsons state this on their site:

"Please note that all of our Simpson Shaving Brushes are bespoke products and hand made to order. Therefore please allow 7 - 10 days maximum for delivery, taking into account manufacturing & shipping times."

So if you order direct you get what you ask for? At a price!

Well in that case they should put on their website that all brushes are available with all hair types. See if they will make you a Duke 3 in two band?

the usual 2 different shapes of knot

bulb & fan

the B+B thinking is bulbs for bowl lathering, fans for face

but as you know you can do both with both :roll:

The Colonel 2 band (Ehsan - bulb shaped) is worth considering at more reasonable cost, that might be available direct from Simpson's. I think I paid £70 for it. See the Bullgoose website for details.

antdad said:
Ids said:
2 band super
22mm knot
Not a bullgoose second

I did notice with the Bullgoose 57 that the knot isn't the classic 2 band bulb, so they might have gone for something different there. Worth asking about before ordering.

There has been some moaning about this as well. some feel it was supposed to be more of a fan shape.

antdad said:
That Bullgoose 57 pictured is one ugly looking knot, certainly not Rooney class is it?

Nope.

The pic you posted in here <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4775&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4775&start=10</a><!-- l --> looks way better than the pic at Bullgoose.

For over a oner id me more inclined to say get something from a bit closer to home, bigger bang for less buck but get exactly what your looking for fella.

If you know what handle style you like, get a custom done and spend the better part of the money on a bloody nice knot. You'll still have change left over as well for a crimbo treat to self. ;)

Ok I wasn't making much sense on Thursday, I had been boozing all day!

I am going to be getting this brush as I just really like it, the impression I got from Simpsons is the handles are already made, I'm assuming they have some left over from the bullgoose LE? They have however assured me it isn't a second.

It's going to be a 22mm knot in 2 band super, I favour bulb shape to the fan shape, I'm sure there's going to be varying opinions but what would the optimum loft be, have bullgoose hit the optimum loft with 52mm

I'm a soap using soap latherer, I would buy direct from bullgoose but the risk of customs makes it a more expensive option.

If you want to focus on a brush for use with hard soaps in bulb shape, go for 50 mm. Some prefer lower but I think with Simpsons hair it would be too stiff. If you wanted it also for use with creams you could go up to 52 mm for a little more bloom. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom