Worth the upgrade?

Ids

I've been talking to Simpsons about there 57 in best mainly because it's not a commonly stocked item, I was all set on it then today they dropped a clanger, they could do a custom for me in super 2 band.

It is going to cost more but I'm willing to pay the difference if it's worth it, I know it's a subjective question but has anyone experienced the best and 2 band, is it worth the extra cost for a face latherer? It'll be a 22 knot and 48 loft.

Fido said:
You will be delighted with a two band 22 mm 48 mm loft. Would want to know how much they want before commenting on value for money.

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the comments, the price will be comparable to the Tulip T2.

Thanks blackandtan, that brush I was very tempted with and it's basicly going to be the same thing, so it came down to cost and it would be cheaper to go direct to simpsons after delivery, customs etc

Would 4mm make a great deal of difference in the loft?

I have a Simsons PJ2 which cost around £100. So your brush will be a similar price.

Anyone who has a New Forest 2201 has a knot of at least the same quality with slightly softer tips and similar backbone. You are paying a lot for a Simpsons logo and handle. A Simpsons Best is much better value. A Duke 3 in Best is hard to beat for face lathering and it will serve you well with creams too.

4 mm will make a big difference. In a bulb shape, I reckon the 48 mm may be just a bit too stiff. But it is as always a matter of personal preference.

When I look at it that way I could get the Duke 3 and 57 in best for the same price.
I've been finding the handle on the duke 2 a little short.

I see, funny they should offer you one with 48mm loft when they are non standard and only made for Bullgoose at a loft of 52mm.

mmmm. Not sure I'd go for that.

I'm very much on the fence, I'd go for the same spec as the one on bullgoose, funny that the bullgoose one is sold as a custom LE though.

The Bullgoose 57 is an L.E because the 50 series is made in Best only. It seems from what you have said that Simpson offered you this 48mm two band because they didn't have any in Best to sell you?

In which case it's likely that the brush didn't make the grade during the production run with a 48mm loft instead of Bullgooses' specified loft of 52mm. I'm not saying it won't make a decent brush, probably excellent for soaps but it just exceeded specified tolerances.

I know Fido stated Best hair is better value, that's true but he and I both come from a position of having made the investment in 2 band and Best. Best hair is excellent value but only when coupled with sufficient density, the Duke 3 Best (short loft) is an excellent brush but I also think a genuine two band is worth owning.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_FIFTYSERIES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cg ... IFTYSERIES</a><!-- m -->

I would give the short loft a go. I agree with antdad that it may have not made the spec for the LE. If, for some reason it is not for you, I am sure you will not have a problem selling it.

antdad said:
The Bullgoose 57 is an L.E because the 50 series is made in Best only. It seems from what you have said that Simpson offered you this 48mm two band because they didn't have any in Best to sell you?

In which case it's likely that the brush didn't make the grade during the production run with a 48mm loft instead of Bullgooses' specified loft of 52mm. I'm not saying it won't make a decent brush, probably excellent for soaps but it just exceeded specified tolerances.

I know Fido stated Best hair is better value, that's true but he and I both come from a position of having made the investment in 2 band and Best. Best hair is excellent value but only when coupled with sufficient density, the Duke 3 Best (short loft) is an excellent brush but I also think a genuine two band is worth owning.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_FIFTYSERIES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cg ... IFTYSERIES</a><!-- m -->

I've mailed them again asking for the exact details, I'll post on here when I receive them.

Ok full details £101 plus VAT
2 band super
22mm knot
Loft they can do 48 or 52 or what ever you want.
Not a bullgoose second

Back
Top Bottom