Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfat?

Thank you for this comprehensive and very honest review @PLANofMAN.

I agree with absolutely everything that you say and I think we are absolutely on the same page in terms of our thoughts about the relevant soaps. I have to confess to a little bias towards the new soap, really because I thought the initial blow of negativity was unfounded with many, well ... blowing off without actually having tried it.

Your thoughts on cost are bob-on! Personally, I think it is very much the same soap as T&H which costs ... what, four times as much? I think it is absolutely in that tier of hard British and French soaps like T&H, Floris or Pre de Provence. Appeal, likewise, well I'm reading that folks who either didn't get on with the classic version or could not lather it and now very much "Fat Heads".

In complete agreement, I still say classic MWF was a unique soap that was a country mile ahead of everything else that I've tried. I suppose that some folks had problems generating a lather made it that little bit more edge, or cult? Dunno. The new formula is, as you rightly say, "just" a good soap. I think I said it somewhere above (or in another thread) but classic MWF was that 10+ out of 10 for me as it had that je ne sait quoi that lifted it beyond that logical 10/10; the new formula is a solid 8/10 and I can tell you ... a soap has to be pretty special (or generally vintage) to get into the 9/10 in my estimations, while only Savonniere du Moulin (and vintage Coty Avocado) hits the full 10/10 (Martin de Candre gets 9.9/10).

In terms of where this all sits with this thread, well the intention was to try to get some actual facts, some actual data around that general "I can't lather it" and see if we could split those who could not against those who had actually bought a genuine dud. Seems that while the genuine duds did exist, they were pretty few and far between ... and perhaps not entire batches.

I guess the purpose of this thread is now closed, but great to see it morphing into a sane and rational appreciation of the new formula soap - again, "Who's afraid of Vegetal Woolfat?".

*Oh, and I read on another forum that Mitchell's have committed to a revision of their box design and to drop the 1893 statement.

Third use of MWV. Another strong performance from the soap with the Timeless Slim. I think this is a good soap. It performs better than DRH and CRS - lacks the drying effect of these two. It also performs better (for me) than my tallow MWF but that cake is 3 years old so perhaps that may impact performance somewhat. Again, I don't rate it at the same level as some of my other soaps but I'd be happy to use it if I was a creature of habit.

...In complete agreement, I still say classic MWF was a unique soap that was a country mile ahead of everything else that I've tried...but classic MWF was that 10+ out of 10 for me as it had that je ne sait quoi that lifted it beyond that logical 10/10...

I am amazed at how some in this thread are acting regarding the "death" of this soap. I for one marvel that anyone can believe for a moment that vintage MWF was better than even the cheapest Stirling soap. It wasn't.

MWF vintage was a good soap, but ain't no way in Hell it was the ne plus ultra of soaps.

This one is:

I tried B&M (Bay Rum) and wasn't blown away by it. Added to the higher cost than MWF, it also only lasted just short of 3 months. I've used my current puck of MWF 88 times (almost 3 months), and expect it to last for almost a year of daily use. I'd recommend stirling rather than B&M.

There is no mystery to dialing it in, at least for me as I only use synthetics. As well, all my soaps are in rotational status. Finally, I refrain from cutthroats, never having any desire to go down that road, PTL.

As someone who is ordained in the Ministry of the Fat, there is space for all and everyone is welcome.

Whether you are orthodox/observant (use the tallow fat every day/most days). Or largely non secular (use it now and again). Or reformist (prefer the palm oil MWF). Or if you like Techs or Straight Razors. Or even if want to open your heart to the Fat, but find need guidance. We will do our best to provide all the insights you seek.

Love the Fat, however much you can.

Back
Top Bottom