Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfat?

As a point of reference for double-checking stock of the hallowed stuff arriving from Kent.

MWF 8287 [purchased Summer 2020] - Dud ... absolutely incapable of a stable lather @pjgh (purchased by @NatJag)
MWF 8345 [purchased October 2020] - Good < confirmed by @jimmyc
Kent 8419 [purchased September 2020] - Good < confirmed by @NatJag
???Kent 8923 [purchased December 2022 & January 2023] - Dudder than a dud thing from Dudville < confirmed by @Gairdner
Kent 8923 [purchased ???] Good < confirmed by brucered (B&B)
MWF 9027 [purchased September 2022] - Dud. It's okay, but not up to usual standard @pjgh (purchased by @exists)
Kent 9029 [purchaed December 2022] - Good < confirmed by @donnie_darko @exists
Kent 9139 [purchased November 2022] - Good < confirmed by @NeilJ
MWF 9139 [purchased February 2023 - Shaving Shack] - Good < confirmed by @Blademonkey
MWF 9223 [purchased February 2023 - Executive Shaving Company via Amazon] - Good < confirmed by @mfurie2540
MWF 9223 [purchased February 2023 - English Shaving Company via Amazon] - Good < confirmed by @Zorro

MWF Veg 9265 [purchased May 2023 - Connaught Shaving] - Good < confirmed by @pjgh
Kent Veg 9265 [purchased May 2023 - ???] - Good < but confirmed as mis-labelled Veg

*I've put a ??? on 8923 as this has also been found to be fine by brucered on B&B. @Gairdner can you give one another go, or try the others you bought?

It is possible that Kent's remaining stock (that 4000 and counting) contains 8923.
8868 MWF Good with a synth, so so with a badger, but I’m sure it was me adding too much water, too soon.

Last edited:
Seems like all the non-artisan tallow-based soaps will end up to loose their tallow very soon. My guess is the next one will be dr harris / cyril salter (which anyway they are getting hard to find in the market. Windsor refill is in shortage pretty much from everywhere).
I went to DR Harris in piccadilly today. They have plenty of soaps on the shelves. I picked up a puck. I now have three ready to use. I asked about tallow / palm, the lady said they have no plans to change the ingredients.
On the box, was also a sticker, The RP, with and address for an industrial unit in Ireland. I should've asked what that was.

I've brought out the MWF and bought the veg version to do a comparison. All in the name of science - should anyone care what my opinion is.
This question is for anyone who has both the new and old pucks. Is the density of the soap the same or similar? I'm trying to figure out if adding water to the new formula (soaking the puck) would improve it's performance or not.

I wouldn't expect it to need soaking, but I also wouldn't expect it to be as hard or dense as the old stuff either.

This question is for anyone who has both the new and old pucks. Is the density of the soap the same or similar? I'm trying to figure out if adding water to the new formula (soaking the puck) would improve it's performance or not.

I wouldn't expect it to need soaking, but I also wouldn't expect it to be as hard or dense as the old stuff either.

I don't think the new one is as dense. I'm fairly sure the old tallow one will last longer.

Nah! I didn't do that with the old, but really do not think the new will benefit from it.

IMG20230609131441.jpgIMG20230609131350.jpgIMG20230609131324.jpg
Just received a backup for my ceramic dish today. Old is on the left/top, new is on the right/bottom in all pictures. The old one was purchased in August 2012, the new, June 2022. Batch #'s respectively 5185 and 8717.

When did the design change?

The new one is slightly more rustic looking, with a flat, rather than domed lid. Not as finished on the bottom, but more detailed on the top. The fit isn't quite as good either, but I think I like the new design a bit better, and will probably retire my old dish as the backup. The new one is also just a tiny bit smaller, and darker in colour, though that isn't as noticeable in pictures.
IMG20230609131253.jpg
Edit: Actually I vaguely remember there being quite a bit of discussion around 2013 about the dishes being changed. It's the reason I didn't rush out for a replacement.

Last edited:
First use of the Mitchell's Wool Veg. I completed two shaves with the original tallow version before this to provide a reference. First impressions: they smell very very similar but there's a subtle difference from the cakes. Once applied to the face it smells identical to me.

I've read reports of The Veg needing more soap so I loaded plenty with the CH2. The proto lather appeared a little later and looked more airy but this is nothing more than an observation. It lathered fine on my face. Slickness seemed to be the same as the tallow version but it seemed to be a little short in protection in comparison. This was evident from the feedback from the splash. First impression is that it's a capable shaving soap. Not one of my top soaps but then neither is the tallow MWF. I'll report back after my second use of it.

I concur ...

But, for me, the tallow MWF is my 10+ out of 10. I immediately put the veg MWF at an 8/10 which is exactly what I rate the T&H soaps ... very similar ingredients list.

Yeah, I concur ...

Longer lather on the soap (more soap?) to draw up a proto-lather, but that's de rigeur for such hard soaps. Not airy for me coz I start with a wrung out brush and the residual water on my face laps it up. Tallow MWF always pulled up a yogurt-thick lather while the veg is just there with whipped cream lather. Very few soaps came close to tallow MWF and so I think that's why I'm perfectly happy with the veg MWF, which might read as some odd logic but it still stands highly amongst its peers.

Thoughts on the post-shave lanolin glow @Boycie83?

I concur ...

But, for me, the tallow MWF is my 10+ out of 10. I immediately put the veg MWF at an 8/10 which is exactly what I rate the T&H soaps ... very similar ingredients list.

Yeah, I concur ...

Longer lather on the soap (more soap?) to draw up a proto-lather, but that's de rigeur for such hard soaps. Not airy for me coz I start with a wrung out brush and the residual water on my face laps it up. Tallow MWF always pulled up a yogurt-thick lather while the veg is just there with whipped cream lather. Very few soaps came close to tallow MWF and so I think that's why I'm perfectly happy with the veg MWF, which might read as some odd logic but it still stands highly amongst its peers.

Thoughts on the post-shave lanolin glow @Boycie83?
Lanolin glow was definitely there P. I felt it after the shave. Meant to mention it but it completely slipped my mind when writing.

Back
Top Bottom