Who's afraid of Virginia Woolfat?

I concur ...

But, for me, the tallow MWF is my 10+ out of 10. I immediately put the veg MWF at an 8/10 which is exactly what I rate the T&H soaps ... very similar ingredients list.

Yeah, I concur ...

Longer lather on the soap (more soap?) to draw up a proto-lather, but that's de rigeur for such hard soaps. Not airy for me coz I start with a wrung out brush and the residual water on my face laps it up. Tallow MWF always pulled up a yogurt-thick lather while the veg is just there with whipped cream lather. Very few soaps came close to tallow MWF and so I think that's why I'm perfectly happy with the veg MWF, which might read as some odd logic but it still stands highly amongst its peers.

Thoughts on the post-shave lanolin glow @Boycie83?
So in short, are you happy with the veg version, to the point you don't feel the need to buy a stock of tallow versions?
I ask as I am still on my first tallow puck and have no real experience of the soap.
So your opinion carries a lot of weight for me.

First use of the Mitchell's Wool Veg. I completed two shaves with the original tallow version before this to provide a reference. First impressions: they smell very very similar but there's a subtle difference from the cakes. Once applied to the face it smells identical to me.

I've read reports of The Veg needing more soap so I loaded plenty with the CH2. The proto lather appeared a little later and looked more airy but this is nothing more than an observation. It lathered fine on my face. Slickness seemed to be the same as the tallow version but it seemed to be a little short in protection in comparison. This was evident from the feedback from the splash. First impression is that it's a capable shaving soap. Not one of my top soaps but then neither is the tallow MWF. I'll report back after my second use of it.

Just out of curiousity what are your top tier soaps? I know you lean towards more the 'artisan' side of shaving soaps, but I know very little about that side of things tbh.

I think your observations for the new palm oil MWF are about the same as mine. I think it's a pretty good lather but a little bit short of the tallow counterpart.

So in short, are you happy with the veg version, to the point you don't feel the need to buy a stock of tallow versions?
I ask as I am still on my first tallow puck and have no real experience of the soap.
So your opinion carries a lot of weight for me.

Despite the tallow version being my favourite soap, I actually didn't use it that often and think the stocks that I have will likely last me as long as I'd want to shave with it. I do have some in reserve and will treat it as vintage. I think I'll use the veg more often. In short, yes ... very happy indeed with the veg version.

For you, I'd bag a few pucks spare. Across hundreds of soaps that I've tried, tallow MWF holds a very high place for me. If you don't realise it at first, you will as you gain a breadth of experience.

While stocks last ...

Despite the tallow version being my favourite soap, I actually didn't use it that often and think the stocks that I have will likely last me as long as I'd want to shave with it. I do have some in reserve and will treat it as vintage. I think I'll use the veg more often. In short, yes ... very happy indeed with the veg version.

For you, I'd bag a few pucks spare. Across hundreds of soaps that I've tried, tallow MWF holds a very high place for me. If you don't realise it at first, you will as you gain a breadth of experience.

While stocks last ...
Thank you for the reply, I will pick up a few more and pop them in a drawer.

Just out of curiousity what are your top tier soaps? I know you lean towards more the 'artisan' side of shaving soaps, but I know very little about that side of things tbh.

I think your observations for the new palm oil MWF are about the same as mine. I think it's a pretty good lather but a little bit short of the tallow counterpart.
It's the usual suspects Shubs: SV, OSP, B&M, MdC etc. OSP is a particular favourite of mine.

That said, all of those cost more than MWF so there's a value question here.

MdC is expensive to begin with but lasts for ever. I have a 200g jar of the original and no matter how much I use it I can’t make the soap disappear. Used it probably 20 or 25 times and it’s still full to the brim of the jar. Definitely value for money and excellent quality to boot.

Taken from B&B, Mitchells are dropping the 1893 formula slogan from packaging

Posted by Mens Room Barber Shop

"it seems Mitchell's is listening. New labeling is coming & the "Original 1893 Formula" is being removed from packaging. Here's my latest communication:

“After spending so much time amending the Shaving Soap ingredients on all of our packaging, it has now been brought to our attention that the wording on the front of our packaging ‘Original 1893 Formula’ is quite misleading and we therefore feel it is appropriate that we have this amended. We have caused enough uproar with the re-formulation that we feel we have to make this change now so as not to aggravate the situation any further. As you can imagine we will need to amend the drawings with the packaging manufacturers and then have those printed out etc. so this is going to take some time to arrange.
In the short term, we have decided that we will arrange for some labelling that will fit directly on top of the logo and wording on the front of the Dish and Refill boxes and will have the wording mentioned above deleted or replaced with a more fitting wording so as not to mislead people. Is this something that you would be happy for us to do with your order? We totally understand if you would prefer to wait until the packaging has been arranged but as you can imagine this is not going to be a quick fix and we were looking really so as to not waste any brand new packaging in the process which would then just be binned. This way we would be using perfectly fine and brand new packaging.
We understand that this is not an ideal situation and we want to be open and honest with you. We are doing what we can to resolve all of these issues as efficiently as we can.”

Second use of MWV. It performed much much better this time. I used a synthetic brush which probably helped the endeavour. It also faced the Timeless Slim and provided all the slickness and protection I needed. Dare I be controversial and say it performed better than the MWF did? Perhaps so. I'm going to give it one more try before I finalise my opinion.

My issues with Kent continue. I sent them back the 4 shaving soaps I initially ordered, as they were the new palm oil ones.

Today, the replacement box arrived, with just one soap!
Hope you contacted them immediately. As of this afternoon, they are now out of stock on the tallow pucks.

My final thoughts on the new formula, having been testing it all this last week.

Fifth and final shave with the New Fat and my final conclusions. (The remainder of the sample is now with my brother in law, who also uses the Fat, and wanted to evaluate it for himself).

Bias Alert! I considered, and still consider the Old Fat to be one of the greatest shaving soaps ever made. It is against that standard that I judge the New Fat, and though I have attempted to judge it on it's own merits, the old formula is still very much 'the elephant in the room,' when any type of comparison to other shave soaps is involved.

THE PROS:
It's an unexpectedly good soap. They did a good job making it almost like the old MWF. When I read the ingredients list, I expected this soap to be hot garbage.

Once dialed in, it performs well, perhaps even more consistently than the original. Usage rate seems to be about on par with the original, though I would expect the original to last longer as a harder soap.

It's not as drying as I would expect. Probably due to the lanolin content. I would class it as somewhat drying, and a little less drying than most palm and coconut based soaps out there.

The scent. After five uses, the scent has largely turned into a MWF dupe. To me, they smell near identical.

THE CONS:

The lather starts to break down by the second or third pass. Not necessarily by getting thinner, but by breaking down into an airy, foamy type of lather. It's easy to correct by adding a bit more soap and reworking the lather. Ironically, this same problem affects some users of the Old Fat, though in the initial stages of lather building, not after the lather is made. The same fix applies, add more soap. If the lather is dry and flaky, add more water.

Slickness. The Old Fat (for me) was the king of slickness. Something about the combination of tallow and lanolin produced an über slick soap. Maybe the reduced amount of oleic acid has some effect here?

Post shave. The New Fat falls flat on it's face here. It retains the skin softening effect, attributed to the lanolin content. The skin moisturizing effect that also accompanied the Old Fat is completely gone. Along with it is that 'greasy' or 'glass-like feel' as it's described by haters and lovers of the old formula Fat. Again, this is probably related to the removal of a lot of oleic acid from the revised formula.

Looking at the differences between the two ingredient lists, the stuff that was left out of the new formula seems to be tallow and some coconut oil, some synthetic scents, water softeners, emulsifiers, chelating agents, and pH balancers. Some of these have been replaced by alternatives. These are just the ingredients that didn't carry over to the new soap.

Summary.

I think the New Fat has a broader appeal to the average wet shaver. It's less likely to offend or otherwise distress the new user.

Naturally, it does so at the cost of everything that made it unique and beloved by entire generations of wet shavers.

Unfortunately, there is no soap waiting in the wings to replace this foundational pillar of a traditional shaving soap, in the price bracket it occupied. The original Fat wasn't so much an extraordinary soap in itself, as it was an extraordinarily well-balanced soap.

In this respect, the New Fat is almost as well balanced as it's predecessor. (When measured against itself anyways). The ratio of cushion vs. slickness vs. scent vs. post-shave remains about the same, even if most of these have taken a step backwards from the original.

Recommendation. I always used to recommend the Old Fat as a must try. One of the great traditional shaving soaps. Once dialed in, it had no equal.

The New Fat is a good soap. You've got to spend in the $25 range or higher to find soaps that beat it. But in itself, it doesn't bring anything to the table that other soaps don't already do. I can't say as it's a better soap than any of the other $15 soaps out there. If it had been introduced as a shaving stick or an alternative option to the original, it would have probably gained a better acceptance among the wet shaving forumites.

A special thanks to Ariel for putting together this U.S. based test-a-thon, and for inviting me to the party.

I was biased against the new formula, and had a set of preconceived notions of how the new formula would stack up. It ended up being better than I expected, if not as good as I had hoped for.

Back
Top Bottom