What's your favourite Winter shaving soap?

+1 to the P&B scents mentioned above by @merchant_seaman and @zygalski but I will also add TOBS Sandalwood and D R Harris Marlborough. There may be some new ones creep in to the favourites list this winter after a recent procurement run
l love the Marlborough too, it's a fantastic scent.
Others that come to mind are Henry et Victoria Tobacco and Cognac, Proraso Red, MDC's, OSP Sandalwood, Stirling Gentleman, etc.

For those pining for the long discontinued AOS Sandalwood soap as made by Valobra there is a modern substitute: Fine Santal Absolut. It is however not quite as strong, which for me is an improvement. Their matching AS is spot on as well and is a dandy!! ;)

For those pining for the long discontinued AOS Sandalwood soap as made by Valobra there is a modern substitute: Fine Santal Absolut. It is however not quite as strong, which for me is an improvement. Their matching AS is spot on as well and is a dandy!! ;)

I don't know if this is true for the AOS cream or the new version of the soap (vegan version) but for the soap (talllow version) it is not. I have both, AOS Sandalwood made by Valobra (tallow) and Fine's Santal Absolute; they aren't the same scent at all, well, according to my nose, my wife's and my daughter's :)

I like the Fine's Santal and the AoS (Valobra) is my favourite sandalwood scent out 10 sandalwood scented soaps / creams I have. I'd like to add the new version of AoS soap but it cost too much to bring it to the UK, although I'm waiting for the cream....I couldn't resist myself :)

Is it a soft soap ?

No, it's not. It's very good though and the aftershave is fantastic IMO

I'm reviving this thread. I've been enjoying a moment alone with my soaps and had a good sniff of them all.

Interesting how the weather/temperature can influence our preferences. I find the darker and earthier notes become more tempting for me when it's cooler. TOBS Tobacco Leaf and Sandalwood smelt great.today. RazoRock SMdF and P&B Spitfire also smelt delightful. These are scents I rarely reach for in Spring/Summer.

I've been rotating Reef Point Calming Spice ( never have been able to find the scent notes for this) and Caties Bubbles Midnight Dreary. Really warm and soothing scents. I wouldn't imagine reaching for a menthol or citrus scent when it's nearly zero degrees with a biting wind and I'm just about to jump on the bicycle to go to work.

Blenheim Bouquet today because it is a light citrus summery scent. On a day like this it is nice to think there is sunshine somewhere
I'm with you on the topic - 'tis the season for Apricus and the like - Alvarez Barberia, Arlington, 4711 cologne and Myrsol Limon - reminds us that it might get daylight at some point in the future - if we don't die of rickets first. :) . I

When it first snows - I shall go for the traditional MT Mint Ice Menthol or P&B Denali - backed up with Alcolado Glacial and finished with Vifrex gel.

Last edited:
I've recently bought Stirlings Christmas Eve soap and had originally planned to keep it until just that day...I dont think I'm going to last that long! Its the only soap in my collection that I can remember, when I walk past the cabinet, going in and giving it a good sniff everytime. Fantastic scent on this, one of the best I've ever smelt and one I can see me using a lot through winter.

I've recently bought Stirlings Christmas Eve soap and had originally planned to keep it until just that day...I dont think I'm going to last that long! Its the only soap in my collection that I can remember, when I walk past the cabinet, going in and giving it a good sniff everytime. Fantastic scent on this, one of the best I've ever smelt and one I can see me using a lot through winter.
Can I ask does this have a nice sweetness to the scent, one I've considered for a while but enjoy a sweeter scent and wouldn't be all that keen on a pine scent (that's) overpowering?

Back
Top Bottom