What's the most luxurious shave soap you've tried?

Having accumulated a small collection of soaps and creams - Nanny's soaps x 2, Proaraso x 2 (1 cream, 1 soap), Speick cream - I've spotted an opportunity for an unashamedly ott luxury product to be thrown into the mix (how did I not spot that earlier?! :D)

The Nannys' soaps tick my 'natural goodness' requirements
The Prorasos press my 'tradition' / 'everyday value' buttons
The Speick has an almost medicinal scent; great for the day after the night before!

Now I need some serious pampering. Criteria include;

Scent
Lather quality
Packaging
All round post shave smugness!

Soap preferred. Was considering the Floris JF in their 50% sale but have seen mixed reviews. Need you good chaps to tempt me with your most decadent suggestions!

Nope. Nothing current.

Old Blenheim Bouquet before the tallow was removed was as good as I ever had.

You could try Acqua Di Parma Colonia shaving cream. It's the same consitency as Cella so you could class it as a soft soap.

I'd have to suggest holding off on the Floris until a few more reports surface about their reformulated soaps. The Floris 89 I got 2 or 3 years back was truly dismal, especially for a soap of that price (even though it was in the half price sale). Then I was fortunate enough to come by a NoS No 89 soap from pedro & it was a whole different ball game. It really does perform like a top end product. So, for now, I'd say the verdict is out as I believe that the "new" range of soaps is an improvement on the last batch.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Aqua di parma is my go to weekend luxury cream at the moment, coupled with the same balm and cologne, pure heaven. The wife even comments upon the smell of the bathroom afterwards.

The lather is also superb, i recommend bowl lathering with this product.

Spukey

Savvy Paul said:
Now I need some serious pampering. Criteria include;

Scent
Lather quality
Packaging
All round post shave smugness!

Soap preferred. Was considering the Floris JF in their 50% sale but have seen mixed reviews. Need you good chaps to tempt me with your most decadent suggestions!

Hi there,

Far as scent and performance goes, I'd suggest the DR Harris soaps. I'd also echo the other member who suggested the C&S soaps. There's some vintage soaps I could recommend, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

You should maybe look at a few creams. Castle Forbes is pretty damn good (except for the sandalwood scent), and so is Penhaligons. Great fragrance and performance. The AdP is popular, but that one's best sniffed first before buying if possible. Plus, I found it a pain to whip up because it's so dense.

Anyway, those would take care of the 'post shave smugness' you're after.

Martin

Oh yeah, I'd also suggest staying away from Floris.

There's a few recommendations for DR Harris, which I love from a scent perspective, but I have to say that I don't find the lather gives as good a shave as Proraso - which for me is the primary requirement. That said, your mileage may vary and they certainly aren't bad soaps, so I doubt you'd regret buying one.

I do think that Aqua di Parma really lives up to expectations and is bang on in terms of shave smugness!!

Back
Top Bottom