What to buy – HELP WANTED.

Chaps,

I am thinking of placing an order with Connaught, but I don't know what to buy…

Thus far, I have the following:

EJ De89L
C&E Nomad soap
Arko stick
Bodger Vulfix 404
Palmolive shaving cream
Ingram shaving creams
Derby blades (obv)
Wilkinson Classic blades
RSC balm

Gentleman's pride balm

A variety of Arbonne products (pretty good, and I have some samples knocking around if folks want to try).

This is what I am thinking of getting:

I need to get some AS, and was giving serious consideration to D R Harris Sandalwood. Also thinking about getting an Alum bar and a sampler of blades, the 'Popular' set…

Any thoughts or recommendations? Could do with a day wearer AS – I don't think that I have ever (in nearly 20 years) shaved this often... It's become a near-nightly ritual.

Thanks for your time,

Lipsy

I am thinking

Bear in mind that AS's don't last very long at all, so if all you want is to smell nice then you are better off going for Cologne or EDT. Get down the highstreet with GF/BF and see what you have a preference for.

DR Harris are fairly traditional old fashioned scents and I personally like the Sandalwood but I have benefited from more members who don't if you see what I mean.

PC – I have the bodger already… I got that thanks to a link on here…

Antdad – yeah, you're probably right on that one. I should – at least - think of colognes and/or get SWMBO(ignored) involved...

Pig Cat said:
Don't think Connaught would sell the bodger 404 as Paul doesn't stock brushes that contain badger hair. Correct me if I'm wrong.

that's the list of what he's already got - fud :roll:

Lipsy

yes to the blade sampler and the alum

what kind of scents do you like just now?
you need to get some of the 'classics'
Tabac etc
autumn is an ideal season for tabac and the a\s lasts a long time, you'll be suprised how many ladies approve :cool:

antdad said:
Well definitely get a blade sampler and alum,
+1 although don't be in too much of a hurry to chop and change. While perfecting your technique continuity will help highlight how that's coming along, but I am a big fan of Alum and use it every shave.

antdad said:
recommending scented products is just too personal.
Not like you to worry about being too personal Tony :p

Alum and sampler it is, then... That seems to be a given (though I'll leave the Feathers until last, I reckon).

Might angle for some Tabac n'all...

I just kinda wondered if there were some recommended AS… Stuff that folks use regularly, and I keep reading about Floid and Proraso, Bay Rum, etc on here – it's a minefield!

Lipsy

must have are

Proraso
Speick
Tabac

this is because of the superior skincare you get from these aftershaves, they also happen to smell nice

i'd include Aqua Velva as well
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4654</a><!-- l -->

Bay Rum is marmite, go into Boots and smell it first when your buying your Tabac

Is the Aqua Velva the stuff mentioned in a group buy somewhere? Or am I going nuts?

I defo want to get something that I can splash on after a shave, obv... Rather than, say, something nice that SWMBI will like. Obviously, I will get something for that, I'm just looking for something predominantly for the skin...

Will probably get the D R Harris later, then.

Lipsy
Silly question; you handily put the link to that thread for me – I'll see if I can join in on that – thanks!

If it's skincare rather than scent that you're after then I like Trumper's Skin food (lime or coral scents, the coral is a faint rose) it's fairly glycering heavy & soothes & hydrates rather than being a bracing splash. So if it's an invigorating "burn" you fancy then the skin food wouldn't be ideal. I also like the Three Crowns a/s milk from Connaughts, which is another more soothing one.

JohnnyO. ;)

I agree on the Alum and the Blades (especially the alum, not an option!), from there on, I'd maybe get some soap from Nanny's or some TOBS, I get along with soft soap a lot better than with hard soap.
And maybe a nice badger brush, it made my shave even more confortable.
Other bits if you haven't got, styptic pencil, nice pottery bowl for making lather.

Don't spend to much imediatly, get a nice baseline going, and build up from there.

Aftershave wise, buy something "generic" that you get on with, and something "special" for occasions. (read: cheap/expensive)

For the AquaVelva, it's indeed a group buy organised by Steve (Sunburryboy93) and I, if you're interested, let me know on the thread, and your name will get added to the list.
Aqua Velva AS Group buy. (final date: 3rd of October)

Enjoy!

FB.

Everyone should have at least one vintage Gillette.

Ideally, a three-piece (Techs are cheap) and a TTO (Superspeeds do nicely).

Some prefer open combs and others (me!) like the Made In England ones (Rockets & Aristocrats).

Some are better than others but a good one is a friend for life (and is probably already older than you and will outlast you).

Back
Top Bottom