What made your day a good one

View attachment 74333

View attachment 74334

View attachment 74335

View attachment 74336

The little people coming around and watering the garden while I am at work and Nanna Satanfriendly is away.

And stealing her nail varnish while at it

View attachment 74337

Just got to love them
I'm glad you added it was while you were at work, Chris. I looked at that mirror photo, and thought "hang on, the bloke taking that photo looks like he's got a full beard. Have we been being gaslit all this time" :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Happy Yorkshire Day!

Super day, today ...

Yesterday, on a whim we popped into Piece Hall in Halifax, a Georgeon cloth market and now focal centre for all manner of artisinal shops with a great event space in the middle. Jazz bands on, food stalls and all sorts of Gin Houses, Brew Houses and so on. Very much enjoyed. Moreso, that tomorrow (as was, yesterday ... today, in fact) would be Yorkshire Day and that again there'd be much the same, but more ... we popped down again and had a great time. Brass bands performing modern tunes, Hog Roasts and flat caps in abundance. Great (old-timey) fun!

It's one of the first few tentative times we've been out anywhere other than the Supermarket and it has made a very welcome break. People were being sensible, but having fun. Vendors had things laid out with plenty of space, nothing felt cramped or hurried or stressful. Very well done to the organisers.

Well, there are 2 ways of looking at it, but Friday was potentially a "what made your day a crap one?" Because after a crap week, I settled down to listen to some vinyl myself, only to find the right channel had almost completely dropped out. This half an hour before bed. However, I am fortunate that I am friends of the amp designer, so my day was a good one cos he fixed it for me the following afternoon, with a new pair of perfectly matched valves and a few small updates that had happened since I got mine as a preproduction unit when he first developed them. All for a coffee and panino and an unspecified favour to be cashed in at some point in the future. So the tunes are flowing without interruption. Result.

Well, there are 2 ways of looking at it, but Friday was potentially a "what made your day a crap one?" Because after a crap week, I settled down to listen to some vinyl myself, only to find the right channel had almost completely dropped out. This half an hour before bed. However, I am fortunate that I am friends of the amp designer, so my day was a good one cos he fixed it for me the following afternoon, with a new pair of perfectly matched valves and a few small updates that had happened since I got mine as a preproduction unit when he first developed them. All for a coffee and panino and an unspecified favour to be cashed in at some point in the future. So the tunes are flowing without interruption. Result.

Aren't valves great?

Valves in the pre amp and D-Class in the power. Super combination. Crap when valves start going off the boil. Fortunately just one set in the last 10 years

I'd be wary of unspecified favours. Probably worth a result though

Aren't valves great?

Valves in the pre amp and D-Class in the power. Super combination. Crap when valves start going off the boil. Fortunately just one set in the last 10 years

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that kind of it is right now.

Things could settle down later on, but Mike Matthews (who is a legend in the world of valves) seems to suggest the supply could be erratic in this year and on, I think when bands start touring again, the demand for valves will be even more than it is now.

What is your valve preamp/ class D amp you have? I know absolutely nothing about HiFi gear.

I've heard HiFi enthusiasts are something to themselves, I've never got into it myself. I bought a Marantz Power Amp and Project Debut for my 18th birthday, and they are still going strong 21 years later, never felt the need to upgrade, as I was too occupied buying vinyl and guitars! I bought a valve Fender amp the year before (so had it for 22 years), and it also is still going strong!

I have no experience of using valves for hifi, but I love my valve guitar amps.

Back
Top Bottom