What made your day a good one

Really proud of my step daughter today, her design at the Chelsea flower show is all over the media.

13239997_10156921350840223_3975618993459273144_n.jpg

I for one think she is a really clever young lady.
The first time I saw this I had a lump in throat.
Cheers

Fencing ...

Smashing set of epee bouts with some really fly blade work throughout. Epee is distinctly uninteresting, largely, as it's all distance and opportunity, speed and insignificant hits to the wrist; rarely played more dangerously as blade takes, ceding parries, following, outsmarting and winning through application of physics - time, space and proper deployment of the fulcrum point.

Three of us has a great succession of bouts, played out well. It was a lot of fun!

Then several bouts of foil ...

Ahhhh ... that's better. Much more running about, waving around and general flashery :D

Foil is getting to be like poker ... withdraw the arm, hold the weapon close and don't show your opponent 'til it's too late. With a lot of running about and feints to open up the single inch of space you need to land the hit.

While we're on fencing, there's a chap over in Japan who is an absolute whizz with a foil. Anyway, he's put together a smashing video called 'More Enjoy Fencing' (lost in translation) but it shows off some lovely technique:

In the foil section, notice how priority passes back and forth? Yeah! That's the clever bit of foil. In the event of a two light situation (both fencers hit at the same time), there is the convention of right of way to consider before awarding the point to just one fencer. That's how priority works - lovely to see played out in a video.

Similar, in sabre, the target area is highlighted as it passes back and forth between the fencers. Sabre also has "right of way". In epee (first), a hit it a hit is a hit. Double hits count as one for each. You'd think that's the silly game, but it's sabre - sabre is a silly game :D

Enjoy ... no, "more enjoy" ...

Successfully driving up to Manchester (alas, for a funeral) in my car.

My car, which I picked up late yesterday afternoon after it doesn't two (I think) weeks in the garage having a new engine and something called a dual mass fly wheel replaced (labour not charged and engine at 40% after a small nearly new strip from the drive belt met the cam belt). I confess to being a little nervous that, having had so much work done on it, the opportunity for a snag to be revealed.

Thus misfortune looked away from in an emotionally critical journey, so this day is a good one. Tomorrow shall be less so

Took three of the people out from the house for fish n chips in a small nearby fishing village. They all enjoyed themselves, big smiles and loads of thank you's. Stood at the bus stop and one was having a good dig around their nose. I ask him to stop and the reply, " I was searching for a Cornetto ". Fair enough !

Last night: Great date at a local wine bar. I'm not too quasimodoesque but this girl is still a bit out of my league...however...we ended up getting along swimmingly. Uber'd around to a couple of bars, some adult content and made plans to meet up next week to head up to the wine country.

I only mentioned razors once.

I only mentioned razors once.

Well done, you! :D

I'm happy 'cos I finally got my Dainese bike leathers back, fully repaired, from someone that knows what they're doing with the proprietary bloody zips that are fitted to them. Just in time, it happens .... The jacket zip went on my RSTs last night on the way home ......

My boss demonstrated he's taking a legal issue seriously and I found a new sponsor partner for our annual conference. My little baby girl (19) is a bridesmaid for a lovely girl who gets wed tomorrow and I've got plenty of single malt in the cupboard for this evening.

Back
Top Bottom