Used Kamisori buying advice.

Thanks everyone. I handled it as is to hone it and the string seems already to be a great help, I can definitely improve; leather showlace sounds like a great plan! I probably also will move the string/lace further up the handle.

The edge wasn't perfect/ there were a couple of dots of corrosion, so i had to bring it all back to a 4000 hone, then switched to lapping film down to 1 micron. Now it looks great and shaves arm hair. I then coated it with a very very thin film of gun oil. We shall see how that all work out tomorrow!

So, this one didn't go according to plan -- the razor doesn't shave very well. Doing a bit more thinking, I think it's bevel was probably made with tape, and when I redid it (without tape), I just didn't 'reach' the cutting edge, so it looks fine under the loupe, but it's not.
So I need to probably get back to a 1000 grit and back up again, to make sure the cutting edge is 'mine'.
In any case, handling seems fine, quite nimble in a way, I think I will like it, once it behaves like a razor :)

quGDP3T.jpg

So, this one didn't go according to plan -- the razor doesn't shave very well. Doing a bit more thinking, I think it's bevel was probably made with tape, and when I redid it (without tape), I just didn't 'reach' the cutting edge, so it looks fine under the loupe, but it's not.
So I need to probably get back to a 1000 grit and back up again, to make sure the cutting edge is 'mine'.
In any case, handling seems fine, quite nimble in a way, I think I will like it, once it behaves like a razor :)

quGDP3T.jpg

Hmmm ... that is initially disappointing, but you've got it covered by the sound of it. Yeah, chop back with 1000 grit on your defined angle and make it fully yours.

From my somewhat limited experience of honing across only 10 or 15 vintage razors, I did find that I had to listen the razor when it came to finishing some preferred stone finishing and a leather stropping while some preferred a 0.25u diamond sprayed neoprene sheet (the underside of a mouse mat) and leave it at that ... I suppose what I'm saying is maybe the razor would like a different finishing process. You'll nail it!

Well, it had nothing to do with tape in the end. I tried the 'rocking test' and sure enough, the geometry was completely rubbish. Bit convex side, and the other side of the spine was concave (but not as bad).
It took quite a bit of work on the 1000 stone to get the spine parallel, and allow the edge to touch the stone properly. Now it SHOULD shave properly.

I think that pretty razor was a shelf queen for all of its life, there's no way it would have shaved anyone in its previous shape. I'll have to do a bit of gentle sanding down to hide some of that flat.

0weztjo.jpg

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get this from? Did you use a rolling action when you honed it - or just straight up and down on the hone?

from the last photo it looks as though the initial grind was poor - but the original photo doesn’t indicate that.

Back
Top Bottom