Traditionl shaving to save money??

RedNeckRash said:
Robert Otten said:
That's the intetion going in ... to save money, then you get exposed to what products are out there; couple that with reading the reviews. I want to try these products and I don't have the choices or selections available to me in the US local stores. I can get everything via internet, but the postage is a killer. Not complaining, but it was an adventure to walk into a The Art of Shaving store in downtown Boston, and see, smell, try, sample their products. Walked out of the shop with lemon shaving cream, lemon AS balm, alum block and a free towel for spending over $75.00. Free samples as well and actually holding and handling all Merkur razors and of course their brushes. Same thing when visiting a Crabtree & Evelyn's store. Examined the brushes, soaps and creams, with my wife accompaning me, and per her fine tuned nose purchased Nomad over Sandelwood soap with wood bowl. The choices one has for his daily shave and rotation keep getting better. The daily shave pictures keep getting better as well. R/Robert

I have yet to find a shaving store which stocks all the items available on line.
Infact, I have yet to find a shaving store! :(
I would love to look and feel all different razors and brushes, more importantly smell all the different pre shave creams, oils, aftershaves, skin food etc....

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=44" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=44</a><!-- m --> ;)

RedNeckRash said:
I have yet to find a shaving store which stocks all the items available on line.
Infact, I have yet to find a shaving store! :(
I would love to look and feel all different razors and brushes, more importantly smell all the different pre shave creams, oils, aftershaves, skin food etc....

Take a trip to Hungerford - you're lucky - it's a couple of hours away for you - for me it's a solid day driving each way (longer by train and £eyewatering to boot)

I have been looking at the pre shave cost although I'm still tinkering with the glycerine (I will let you know how I get later ) I think a hot towel or flannel would do the job very well using it in the tub looks like the way to go it could be scented with a few drops of olbas oil. Also the hot towel has been used by barbers for many years so has a proven record and is recommended on many forums.

Big.Dave said:
I have been looking at the pre shave cost although I'm still tinkering with the glycerine (I will let you know how I get later ) I think a hot towel or flannel would do the job very well using it in the tub looks like the way to go it could be scented with a few drops of olbas oil. Also the hot towel has been used by barbers for many years so has a proven record and is recommended on many forums.

I have just found the Trumpers skin food courtesy of JohnnyO, and use it as a pre and post shave. That could save money buying one less product.

I have found recipes for pre shave which are Olive oil, Castor oil and fragrance from an essential oil (one had clove oil not sure if that is an EO). Ratios vary but the ingredients are the same, I just can't find a local chemist that does castor oil.

I'm only popping in as and when I pass, and besides I buy sweat shop produced shoes so £2.80 is an entire pair!

I don't find a burning need for a pre-shave but having come across the recipe I thought I'd try it, however I can't say that I'm going to a much trouble about it. There are a few independent chemists that I often pass which I've not yet tried if one of them has it I'll pick some up but I'll not faf about with mail order just for curiosity sake.

heroblob said:
Big.Dave said:

I have just found the Trumpers skin food courtesy of JohnnyO, and use it as a pre and post shave. That could save money buying one less product.

I have trumpers limes skin food it works best as a pre shave but is a bit pants for a post shave. I'm thinking I can live without it even though I do like it. As for post shave I think I'll be hard pressed to find a product better than Proraso anti irritation cream. But I'll keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom