Traditionl shaving to save money??

Ok the plan was take up DE shaving to save money. Well it never happened.
So just out of interest what could be changed to the things I use to shave to cut costs in the long term.

Growing a beard is not an option!!!

OK I use
pre shave Trumpers Skin food------------?????
razor flare tip rocket----------------------This could be changed to a cut throat no more blades to buy.
shave cream lots at the moment-------- Palmolive soap stick at 48p from tescos seem the cheapest option so far.
Alum block--------------------------------- ?????
Proraso anti irritation cream-------------?????
cologne------------------------------------- I think I can live with out it or have a bottle just for special occasions.

This setup gives me good comfortable shaves.

But can anyone suggest cheaper products for the ones on the list.

Alum blocks, generic witch hazel and own brand after shaves can all be had pretty cheaply.

Half a litre of Bay Rum for less than a fiver from Diamond Edge. If you like Bay Rum that is.

Razor - cut throat, although by the time you buy a strop and a stone or two you could have many years worth of de blades.
Pre Shave - lather up, hot towel/face cloth, wipe off lather. Recommended by mantic and works a treat, Palmolive is great for it.

hunnymonster said:
Even the top end stuff yields a low price per shave - it's the opportunity cost for the tub of product X that lasts 12 months that's the killer... price per day isn't so much (compared to £3 for a blade, £4 for a can of gunge that lasts 4-6 weeks,...)

Yes this is true but the differances between top end and lower end are small my trumpers shave cream whips up quicker than palmolive or proraso creams but I notice no differance in shaving performance so I can still save a few quid there, also what is the low end version of skin food?

The high end producers make pre shave products which I think you could easily ween yourself off with a little experimentation.

Use soap instead of cream.

I didnt start DE shaving to save money.
Good job I didnt as ive spent the best part of £160 so far and it only been a couple of weeks!
I do have some very nice creams/soaps to choose from and 2 different brushes should I need a choice, also 3 Razors! etc etc, never mind, im enjoying it and even better I managed a shave last night without any nicks ;)

Big.Dave said:
hunnymonster said:
Even the top end stuff yields a low price per shave - it's the opportunity cost for the tub of product X that lasts 12 months that's the killer... price per day isn't so much (compared to £3 for a blade, £4 for a can of gunge that lasts 4-6 weeks,...)

Yes this is true but the differances between top end and lower end are small my trumpers shave cream whips up quicker than palmolive or proraso creams but I notice no differance in shaving performance so I can still save a few quid there, also what is the low end version of skin food?

Some sort of non-comedogenic moisturiser?... E45 perhaps? Aqueous cream?

I suppose you could buy 2 years worth of Palmolive sticks for approx the cost of a pint. (£3) You can go as cheap or as pricey as you like.

What was your expenditure before?

Pre-shave : Kyle's Prep
Blades : Personnas, if they're sharp enough for you.
Soap : Got to be Palmolive stick
Aftershave : Alum block essential, use whatever Aftershave/Cologne you get for Christmas/Birthday.

I reckon less £10 a year BARGAIN :shave

200 Supermax blades on the Bay at £6.00 delivered.
2 Palmolive Sticks at 49p each.
2 bottles of Forest Fresh AS from Superdrug at £2.25 each.

That would do you for a year...at a push.

Assuming you would't use 200 blades per annum (4 days per blade) that is well less that a Wedgie Benn for a year's decent shaving.

Tell that to the marketing mad men!

:shock:

Here's the theory:

Razor: a junk shop straight with minimal hone wear: say £5. Professional sharpening: call it £15. Add a finishing stone, let's say one of Neil's Thuringians: £40. That's it, total £60. Hone once a week so that the bevel never needs resetting and strop on newspaper.

Brush: boar or mixed for a tenner.

Soap: Palmolive at £0.50 each: buy 60 of those.

Aftershave: cold water.

Result: shaving for life for a one off outlay of £100.

What this doesn't include is the Mary Poppins factor: "In every job to be done there is an element of fun". Done this way there'd be precious little of that after a while, variety being the spice of life.

In my opinion it would all depend on what mindset you are in.

Wilkinson sword brush, palmolive stick, wilkinson sword classic DE, Boots/Superdrug AS comes to about £12

Above is a basic list of what you need to start DE shaving.

Personally for starters I'd made sure you have a decent razor and brush. Blades/soaps/creams/AS/Balm etc etc can all be chopped and changed. The biggest outlay for me was Razors and Brushes.

However if you really wished (or wanted) you could get:

Simpson Chubby CH3: about £200
Feather AS-D1 Razor: about £160

Soaps take brands like Creed or Acqua di Parma etc and you are talking serious money.

So all in the choice is yours. You can choose to spend loads of money on a shave or you can do what most of us do and buy what we like (usually moderately priced to cheaper products).

Back
Top Bottom