Traditionl shaving to save money??

hunnymonster said:
andyjreid said:
Even with the 10p average price hike on palmolive a few months ago.

Well it was 5p around here from 44p to 49p... the 220% hike in WS too from 62p to £1.99 :eek: - both are still way better value than a can of gunge, even ignoring the fact that the soap works well where the gunge is mediocre at best.

I agree, it wouldn't do anyone any harm at all to always keep a few of these on the sidelines.

Edit: In ref to palmolive sticks.

Bottle of glycerine from any pharmacist is inexpensive & will give loads of use as a pre shave oil should your skin benefit from a pre shave. At 50p in our Morrisons I'm with most others in favouring Palm Olive sticks. If you prefer a glycerine soap Scent from Heaven range from £2 + postage. Course you could always buy £20 & have free postage & enough soap for a decade or so to come.

JohnnyO. ;)

So, in a nutshell, traditional wet shaving is a lot cheaper than using cartridge razors and canned gunge. However, as you've discovered, once you scratch the surface, you'll find a great variety of wonderful products that you either ignored or didn't know existed. Then you have to try them. All of them. And that is when it gets expensive. :)

For my first year or two I did save money, a Merkur HD and a tub of TOBS Rose with an EJ Best brush and a West Coast Shaving blade sampler was all I had for the first year. I just continued with my normal AS and nothing else. Never being one to let go of a good idea the next Christmas my wife bought me a Futur in a leather travel set with a Dovo brush and that set me on the slippery slope.

It took about two and a half years for me to contract AD and I do admit that I have excessive amounts now but it was all bought with a fixed monthly amount I set aside, so it doesn't really feel excessive but I know it is.

Like Fido each shave I have is still very cost effective, it is just I have a lot of shaves pre purchased ;)

BigDave, do you want to cut cost or are you just curious how cheap it could be done?

Rik said:
So, in a nutshell, traditional wet shaving is a lot cheaper than using cartridge razors and canned gunge. However, as you've discovered, once you scratch the surface, you'll find a great variety of wonderful products that you either ignored or didn't know existed. Then you have to try them. All of them. And that is when it gets expensive. :)

That just about sums it up, for me.

Audiolab said:
Like Fido each shave I have is still very cost effective, it is just I have a lot of shaves pre purchased ;)

BigDave, do you want to cut cost or are you just curious how cheap it could be done?

I have my current setup and enough shaves to last me a few years but with the resession possibly going double dip I was thinking how cheap could I make it with a pre shave, soap or cream, alum and anti irritation cream.in the worst case scenario of people stop eating out and I'm out of a job. Its always good to be prepared.

Bruceonshaving said:
The Lord razor, which is excellent, is £3.49 BNIB on eBay: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lord-Double-Edge-Razor-1-blades-/270621599237?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lord-Double-Edge- ... Removal_RL</a><!-- m -->

Hmmm...interesting looking (Tech clone?) razor. Seeing as I've had great fun with a dirt-cheap Feather Portable, I think I might buy one.

That's the intetion going in ... to save money, then you get exposed to what products are out there; couple that with reading the reviews. I want to try these products and I don't have the choices or selections available to me in the US local stores. I can get everything via internet, but the postage is a killer. Not complaining, but it was an adventure to walk into a The Art of Shaving store in downtown Boston, and see, smell, try, sample their products. Walked out of the shop with lemon shaving cream, lemon AS balm, alum block and a free towel for spending over $75.00. Free samples as well and actually holding and handling all Merkur razors and of course their brushes. Same thing when visiting a Crabtree & Evelyn's store. Examined the brushes, soaps and creams, with my wife accompaning me, and per her fine tuned nose purchased Nomad over Sandelwood soap with wood bowl. The choices one has for his daily shave and rotation keep getting better. The daily shave pictures keep getting better as well. R/Robert

Robert Otten said:
That's the intetion going in ... to save money, then you get exposed to what products are out there; couple that with reading the reviews. I want to try these products and I don't have the choices or selections available to me in the US local stores. I can get everything via internet, but the postage is a killer. Not complaining, but it was an adventure to walk into a The Art of Shaving store in downtown Boston, and see, smell, try, sample their products. Walked out of the shop with lemon shaving cream, lemon AS balm, alum block and a free towel for spending over $75.00. Free samples as well and actually holding and handling all Merkur razors and of course their brushes. Same thing when visiting a Crabtree & Evelyn's store. Examined the brushes, soaps and creams, with my wife accompaning me, and per her fine tuned nose purchased Nomad over Sandelwood soap with wood bowl. The choices one has for his daily shave and rotation keep getting better. The daily shave pictures keep getting better as well. R/Robert

I have yet to find a shaving store which stocks all the items available on line.
Infact, I have yet to find a shaving store! :(
I would love to look and feel all different razors and brushes, more importantly smell all the different pre shave creams, oils, aftershaves, skin food etc....

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/three-ts-and-dr-hill.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/20 ... -hill.html</a><!-- m -->
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fido said:
http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/three-ts-and-dr-hill.html
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just had a read through your blog you're further down the shaving road than I am.
I think you maybe right about the pre shave prep.
I have been playing with glycerine I already twigged that there might be issues adding oil to a pre shave with the problems of mess. I can think for a few other household prouducts that could be mixed with glycerine to make a hot towel alturnative although the firework effect it produces my lead to some scaring or death :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom