Title Above Avatar ? and Bruce Lee Wannabees ....

Re: Title Above Avatar ? and genral 'nunchuks' chat !!

Nunchuks, about halfway in:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnjb8Hx76u8[/youtube]

I never really took to nunchuks. Sticks, swords, staffs, knives etc, even knuckle dusters, are things you may be able to improvise on the spot. Don't really see myself in a situation where I end up needing to fight and find something that handles just like nunchuks to hand. They're pretty easy to look cool with, and not so easy to fight with.

Tried a 3 section staff once, felt like a right twat after a few minutes and put it back down.

Re: Title Above Avatar ? and genral 'nunchuks' chat !!

Jeltz said:
Ooooooooh!
Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

:lol: :lol: ;)

Re: Title Above Avatar ? and general 'nunchuks' chat ;-)

Was it not in a 1953 Act (Popularly known at that time as The Cosh Act" that it was prohibited to have in a public place any item 1) Constructed ; 2) Adapted ; or 3) Intended for use as an offensive weapon ? I guess that if that was the wording of the Act then even the weapon of choice of Atlas & Hercules, ie the humble broom handle would be transformed in the eyes of the law into a whopping gr8 cudgel as soon as it was raised with intent to cause harm.

As for me, I want to study the martial art of the right thumb, as demod by Sean Connery in The Presidio. It's about the bit of me which works best these days.

JohnnyO. :lol:

If we are heading in the direction of martial arts to study there was Victorian/Edwardian martial art called Bartitsu which was referenced (inaccurately) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bartitsu.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bartitsu.org/</a><!-- m -->

We used to make throwing stars in metalwork when we were at school. A dog ran off with one of mine. It was stuck in it's back.

Ian

Think i will stick to 'bangsticks' (firearms) :shock:

In the latest match 'idiot (Raoul Moat) with a gun' 1, 'martial arts instructor' 0. Hardly a surprising result really!

Even the Samurai knew they were on to a loser at the end of the Shogunate (despite having Tom Cruise on their side) - they should have stuck with Bonsai rather than Banzai!!! - damn Hakeguri!! :|

Re: Title Above Avatar ?

sonny said:
Jeltz said:
I also have a Bo Staff, a pair of kama (sticks with a blade perpendicular at the end) and a pair of Escrima Sticks. .

For a sec, I thought you said Erasmic Sticks

No these are about 30" long and made of Rattan, there are several types about but the original ones contain tallow and are much better :p :mrgreen:

moodymick said:
Think i will stick to 'bangsticks' (firearms) :shock:

In the latest match 'idiot (Raoul Moat) with a gun' 1, 'martial arts instructor' 0. Hardly a surprising result really!

Even the Samurai knew they were on to a loser at the end of the Shogunate (despite having Tom Cruise on their side) - they should have stuck with Bonsai rather than Banzai!!! - damn Hakeguri!! :|

Martial arts and any combat or self protection systems are the last line of defence, 1st line of defence is not being there!

I read a discussion about a martial arts expert visiting an area of the world which is rife with bandits was asked how he would set about defending himself if confronted with a group of bandits armed with machetes that where undoubtedly going to attack him.

His response was 1st I'd bend down and pick up some poop and throw it into the face of the guy that seems to be the leader...... Some of you may wonder how I know that there would be poop on the ground right there and then......

I saw a large poster advertising a karate school with 3 or 4 kids in uniform posing in a regular karate stance.

The tag line was "Bully Proof your Kids"...and I just thought, those kids are going to get a kicking because of that you dumb ass. Teach 'em to run.

antdad said:
I saw a large poster advertising a karate school with 3 or 4 kids in uniform posing in a regular karate stance.

The tag line was "Bully Proof your Kids"...and I just thought, those kids are going to get a kicking because of that you dumb ass. Teach 'em to run.

As a kid I was bullied at high school for about 18 months - then one day I snapped and took out the school hardnut (I was 13, he was 16) through the expedient of chasing him across the field and rugby-tackling him in a long jump pit, pinning him down and giving him "a bit of a doing".... resulting in me "smashing his nose all over his face" and "blacking both of his eyes".

If I'd not been able to run faster than him (I didn't know I could - red mist is good for acceleration & stamina) and catch him, the bullying wouldn't have stopped.

I did get a detention for it like, but it wasn't exactly tough - my choice of reading or watching TV - it's almost as if the teachers wanted the hard nut taken down a peg or two.

...there you go. You could run fast.

I'm just not in favour of encouraging kids, in this case under 12's to take up any form of fighting "art", just gives them a false sense of security and any street kid would kick em where it hurts and nick their phone.

I used to practise a mixed martial art for about a decade, we used to learn weapon and knife submission techniques but the No. 1 rule when faced with such a weapon especially a knife would be to run unless you had absolutely no choice.

I think Judo is a great sport for kids , with the emphasis on it being a sport and not a fighting art.
I think it is only a matter of time before somebody gets sued (probably in the US ) by a student who is taught self defence and who subsequently fails to defend themselves

Back
Top Bottom