Title Above Avatar ? and Bruce Lee Wannabees ....

Re: Title Above Avatar ?

I haven't seen that before...Desmond Douglas could have taken him though.

bbjones.jpg

Lee was a scrapper from the streets, who became a film star whereas the current Peking Opera types are basically stunt men and acrobats. Still amazing to watch but not as authentic.

I've a reasonably good collection of nunchucks, I must try that next time I have access to a table tennis table :lol:

Don't think so, they seem to be quite freely available judging by my mate's expanding collection. Probably they slipped through the net when the last government was busy banning everything.

I don't think so but it would be illegal to carry them like any offensive weapon unless transporting to and fro for training purposes, like carrying a knife unless you can prove it's for work purposes or you are going fishing.

They were banned for sale/ownership back in the 80's along with a lot of other martial arts weapons like shuriken,tonfa,sai ,swords.
Must have been relaxed.

antdad said:
I don't think so but it would be illegal to carry them like any offensive weapon unless transporting to and fro for training purposes, like carrying a knife unless you can prove it's for work purposes or you are going fishing.

You could always say that you're off to play table tennis with them.

From Wikipedia:

"In the United Kingdom for many years it was thought legal for anyone over the age of 18 to buy and possess Nunchaku, although public possession is not allowed unless transporting between a place of training or private addresses. However, following a case brought by Strathclyde Police and the Procurator Fiscal heard at Glasgow Sheriff Court on the 10th February 2010, a Sheriff ruled that nunchakus fell into the category of a prohibited weapon as defined by the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988 Section 141 (n). If, and only if it were upheld by a senior court, this ruling would have the effect of making it an offence to import, manufacture or sell nunchakus in the UK. It would also criminalise hundreds of thousands of martial arts enthusiasts who own a set of nunchakus."

I used to train with the RKAGB under students of Julian Mead, himself a direct student of Motokatsu Inoue.

Didn't get as far as training with Nunchaku but did a bit with the Bo, Sai and Tonfa. They also train with Tekko (Knuckle dusters) and that, right there is another kettle of worms.

Damian Murphy said:
The funny thing about nunchaku that you really have to know what you're doing with them or you can do more damage to yourself.

Tell me about it! :roll: This is me just before Christmas when I was just learning the art of the nunchaku:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6_bhfmXCg[/youtube]

:shock:

I have 1 pair of foam (practice), 1 pair of graphite which are my favourites, a pair of white wood with aluminium ends (heavy) and a single black traditional type.

I also have a Bo Staff, a pair of kama (sticks with a blade perpendicular at the end) and a pair of Escrima Sticks. The chucks, bo and kama I have trained for showy demo stuff rather than the aggressive art they would have been intended for however the Escrima work I've done has been quite practical based on striking blocking and disarms. It would be interesting to see a government try to ban everything resembling a broom handle.

Back
Top Bottom