Things you don't see anymore

People using phone boxes (remember those?)

We have one or two where I live but, judging by the smell of them, people use them more as public toilets than to make phone calls. I guess that is not unusual, now that virtually everyone has a smartphone. When I was a kid, the only way that you could make a phone call was either on a landline or in a phone box. Now, it seems that they're largely obsolete.

Ah, phone boxes.

Tap the lugs to dial for free. 10 =0. 4=4 5=5 and so on.
Could phone for free and getting that right now is a lost art .
Later on a coin would give you dial tone so that tap tap out number never worked.

...and as we are on the subject of phone boxes, anyone remember Phone cards?

I was one of the numpties who collected these, thousands of them, not worth anything now.

View attachment 92237

View attachment 92238
Yep, I amassed quite a few of those when I was younger. They were tipped to be THE next big thing in technology. Everyone I used to know had them. Now, all they're good for is the bin.

I never was particularly gifted at predicting which trends would take off and which ones would be obsolete within months...

Wow, yeah I remember them for sure. The great thing about it was you couldn't put one in a Space Invaders machine like you could with the 10p piece that you kept in your pocket for phone calls!

Part of me is surprised that they have zero collectable value. I mean, there won't be any more of them ever. I can only think nobody is bothered about collecting them. (Cue surge of interest in a couple of years and thousands of erstwhile collectors kicking themselves for binning their collection!)

Old school arcades in places other than seaside towns. When I was a teenager every town had a café with Space Invaders, Defender, Scramble and Missile Command. No 10p was safe, and if you did have 10p you were not safe because skinheads would come up to you and say "Oi mate ave ya got ten pee?!" and mug you with violence for it.

Beechnut chewing gum
Bubble Gum Cartoon GIF

Bicycle saddlebags.

As a 12 year old I used to go off on my pushbike every Saturday morning with a bag of crisps kit cat and a yellow cape in my saddlebag which was attached to the saddle and not the modern biker meaning of either side of the rear wheel, go off and watch the car racing at Rufforth aerodrome, I used to be gone for hours and then home for tea at 5 o'clock having clocked up another 20 miles on my mileometer

image.jpeg

Bicycle saddlebags.

As a 12 year old I used to go off on my pushbike every Saturday morning with a bag of crisps kit cat and a yellow cape in my saddlebag which was attached to the saddle and not the modern biker meaning of either side of the rear wheel, go off and watch the car racing at Rufforth aerodrome, I used to be gone for hours and then home for tea at 5 o'clock having clocked up another 20 miles on my mileometer

View attachment 92641
Still available, though a lot of people will use panniers or a rackpack these days.

Back
Top Bottom