Testers wanted - not for Vegetarians

Just had a Beefy Birthday Shave (BBS).................
I was not blown away by the scent at first but it is a grower and on my face and in the brush it had changed a heck of a lot.......well to me.
I found the soap difficult to get just right the soap is very thirsty and you can quickly overcompensate and end up with a very wet and runny lather. Anyhow take 2 was a lot better, I think the slip was ok but the cushion was not. I ended up with a few red areas which I did not get when using the Neroli yesterday.
The post shave is good my face feels great, no greasy areas and no dry skin.
So conclusion........
Scent, good grower not keen on it right out of the tin tho.
Slip, ok ........ not quite as good as the Neroli
Cushion, this for me is the area the Beefy falls short as provided me with very little.
Post shave, great no issues at all !!
For me improvements to the slip and cushion are needed, but it is only shave 1 and I reserve my right to change my mind.
A few tweeks and it will be a great addition to your range.

Told you I was awkward :) but seriously I used a new razor, a fresh blade and a new soap . So you'd think any problems would show but I can honestly say that was one of my best shaves.

Had my first shave with it today and when this goes into production I'll be buying a bigger tub.

Being a face latherer I didn't quite get the level of Nick, but it quickly produced a very nice lather. Glide was above the best of my collection, by the time I got around to shaving the top lip (always leave it to last) it was a little dry but nothing a quick dip in the water for the razor didn't resolve.

Now a few hours after the shave and no tightness, soreness or anything untoward.

I got the mandarin over the lemon first but when under the nose it was pleasant.

Fish

My first shave with "The beef" today too.
2 days prior I've used tabac as a benchmark tallow soap and NSS signature ice & a slice as my point of reference. Brush, razor, blade etc all the same and a combo I've been using for the last week.

Scent is very good, perfect match to the beautiful sunny morning. Perfect strength, very much there but, not headache inducing.
Both the Nanny's offerings are great in this respect, top marks.

Lather is super easy to produce, one of the easiest soaps I've used. It is thirsty as others have noted. The easiest to lather of the 3 & as a relative newbie, I appreciate that.

Cushion, not a patch on tabac & the signature soap. Nicked my chin which is unusual.

Glide, very good. I got an exceptionally easy shave from a blade around mid-way through its useful life, so there was potential for some drag, not a hint.

Slickness, poor. Between passes there was no residual slickness that I could notice, my face felt almost squeaky clean when rinsed between passes. Tabac is king here with signature very, very, close.

Post shave, best of the bunch. A handful of musgo splash & my face feels wonderful.
I got a really close shave, noticably closer than the previous 2 soaps with no need for a touch-up pass.
I found the lather a shade runny if anything & to not dry at all. It did gobble up a fair bit of water, so I'm surprised others have found it to dry out on the face. I face lather & don't hang about with the actual shave, the lather isn't on my face for very long at all, perhaps this is why?

In summary, very good. I can't fault the results, very close & smooth from 3 passes with no need for touch-ups. I prefer the signature soap by a small margin due to more cushiony feel & slickness. Post shave is terrific.

It is a decent performer with delightful scent & top notch post shave feel. As such I would not be disappointed in the slightest if I'd just bought a tin at the signature soap price-point. However, if the cushion & residual slickness were to be improved, it would be exceptional.

Last edited:
Hmmm, stranger and stranger. I'd be interested @Electrif and @nick_s in any specific comments you have on residual slickness and cushion. The tweek I made I would think might help the former, no idea what effect it may have had on cushion.

@SoapAlchemist - Sharon, there was plenty of slickness, both during the shave and when I'd finished a pass, and indeed when I'd finished the full three pass shave. In terms of cushion, there was more than enough there too. I've used two different razors with it now (RazoRock Bazooka and a Merkur 39C) and neither shave felt lacking. Up there with the top performing soaps in my humble opinion. It's all in the tallow for me, it makes a huge difference :)

Thanks Nick. I think what I'll do is send a sample of the tweeked version to Nishy, Missingskin, Jaygee and Nathan, who seemed to have the worst experience with the untweeked version. Bechet will also be getting a sample, and a regular customer who hasn't posted on here. So that will be 8 in total who will try the tweeked one, 4 of whom can compare it to the untweeked. Hopefully then things will be clearer.

I used tepid water rather than warm.
Don't think that should make a difference? For tabac I cold water shaved & it felt very slick.
Rinsing between passes I spread the residual suds about and there was none of that slimey second skin feel I expect from a tallow soap.
Just to reiterate; results were first class. So maybe it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom