Tabula Rasa

Well chaps, yesterday morning I took my Duke 3, soaked it with warm water, shook it out then gave it a squeeze. Loaded it like I was loading a soap (I had been loading like I load cream or croap, sparingly)

Wet tips, palm lathered a little then went to my face. Lots if lather, plenty for 4 passes and scent of Brian's TR is very nice!

Hard to judge how much I loaded, or how long a tub will last loading as I did but at least I got it to work for me.

My advice (having watched Ian at the Groom Room use TR) is do not be afraid to load the brush. It looks like cream, but needs to be treated like soap...

Hairsuite said:
Well chaps, yesterday morning I took my Duke 3, soaked it with warm water, shook it out then gave it a squeeze. Loaded it like I was loading a soap (I had been loading like I load cream or croap, sparingly)

Wet tips, palm lathered a little then went to my face. Lots if lather, plenty for 4 passes and scent of Brian's TR is very nice!

Hard to judge how much I loaded, or how long a tub will last loading as I did but at least I got it to work for me.

My advice (having watched Ian at the Groom Room use TR) is do not be afraid to load the brush. It looks like cream, but needs to be treated like soap...

Pleased you got a successful lather Cyril. It's a fantastic soap!

Hairsuite said:
My advice ... is do not be afraid to load the brush. It looks like cream, but needs to be treated like soap...

I'm usually very heavy-handed when loading and always end up with bowl-fulls of unused lather.

Normally with an expensive soap like this not a great deal of product is required but I seem to be getting through this soap at an alarming rate of knots. Tomorrow I'll have to restrain myself a little, I'm sure I'll still have enough left over.

p.b said:
Hairsuite said:
My advice ... is do not be afraid to load the brush. It looks like cream, but needs to be treated like soap...

I'm usually very heavy-handed when loading and always end up with bowl-fulls of unused lather.

Normally with an expensive soap like this not a great deal of product is required but I seem to be getting through this soap at an alarming rate of knots. Tomorrow I'll have to restrain myself a little, I'm sure I'll still have enough left over.

I tried the watered down version as shown on the video link. I used a really soft super badger brush and came to the conclusion that you just end up with loads of product on the brush! No wonder it then lathers so well.

Wha burst the ba said:
I tried the watered down version as shown on the video link. I used a really soft super badger brush and came to the conclusion that you just end up with loads of product on the brush! No wonder it then lathers so well.

Yeah - I really can't see the point of watering it down. It loads direct from the tub perfectly well without having to mess with it first.

Arse and triple arse. Third day using Steam Punk and I have that familiar burning sensation on my neck. Every other product I've used this week is tried and tested an known to be OK for me to use. It seems that Steam Punk will have to be a once a week treat. The bigger question is whether all the Tablua Rasa soaps give me the same problem...

p.b
Arse and triple arse. Third day using Steam Punk and I have that familiar burning sensation on my neck. Every other product I've used this week is tried and tested an known to be OK for me to use. It seems that Steam Punk will have to be a once a week treat. The bigger question is whether all the Tablua Rasa soaps give me the same problem...

Ian says the soap is all made at the same time and the scents are add after. The question is, is it the scent additive or the basic soap that causes the problem. I only have Steampunk otherwise I would give you some to try. Shame as it's a lovely soap to use.
Regards
Dave

Occams Razor said:
Ian says the soap is all made at the same time and the scents are add after. The question is, is it the scent additive or the basic soap that causes the problem. I only have Steampunk otherwise I would give you some to try. Shame as it's a lovely soap to use.
Regards
Dave

In my experience it's usually the scents that cause the problems. I had a sample pack of CRSW and the Almond sample set my face on fire. The other five were perfectly OK.

Hi p.b, I will find out when I place the next order if it is possible to get sample sizes in all the scents, however I have my own tub of the Vetiver and Tangerine scent, I loaned the tub out last weekend to a guy so he could have a few shaves with it, when it is returned to me probably sometime this week, I can send you out a sample of it if you wish. Just PM me with your address and I can send some out to you as soon as I get it back.

Like the Steampunk a lot. That's the only one I've tried (or even smelled) and it is first rate. It loads very easily and I like to go heavy for that over-the-top lather.
I think I can honestly say I've never had trouble getting a shaving soap to lather, but I do have soft water at home. I also can honestly say that I've never finished a shaving lather product, be it soap, stick, cream, or even canned foam. I always end up with a new one to try, and my old faithful is left in the dust. Well, I do come back to them, but another new one is always just around the corner.
Actually, I have finished off a few samples, but I've usually ended up buying a full container anyway ~ just a floozy, I guess.
~

p.b said:
Occams Razor said:
Regards
Dave

In my experience it's usually the scents that cause the problems. I had a sample pack of CRSW and the Almond sample set my face on fire. The other five were perfectly OK.
Hi Paul thank you for your PM , I am pleased the sample of Vetiver & Tangerine provided better results for you, with zero irritation. Kindest regards, Ian

Ian T said:
Hi Paul thank you for your PM , I am pleased the sample of Vetiver & Tangerine provided better results for you, with zero irritation. Kindest regards, Ian

Yes, thanks for the sample Ian. Same brilliant performance, lovely smell (and I don't even like Vetiver!) and zero irritation so a big winner for me. If the missus doesn't get the hint (i.e. the hpyerlink in an email) I'll be ordering some in the new year. Paul

I have just received conformation that I am to receive a limited amount of sample sizes of the various scents of Tabula Rasa included with my next order, which will arrive in-store in around two weeks. Any TSR members who are interested in samples of TR please leave a note of interest in this post and I will PM you upon their arrival from Germany. Samples pots will be sent out on a first come first served basis while stocks last. Hopefully we will receive enough pots to do the rounds guys.

Kindest regards,
Ian

Back
Top Bottom