Tabula Rasa

Hairsuite said:
Ian is like a cross between Auntie Wainwright from Last Of The Summer Wine and Arkwright from Open All Hours! He could sell sand to an Arab (in fact Ian, get some sand in and sell it Taypsie next time he is in, he is an Arab) test lathered TR tonight palm lathering with Rudy Vey custom 2 Band. Sorted it, bit of work with dry brush and lots lots more water than expected!

Shaving tomorrow so will try it out...
:icon_razz: keep us posted with your results Cyril.

mikebrownington said:
I found myself in Ian's fine establishment today, was very restrained with just a bottle of Proraso green AS. Bought and paid and just about to leave until the TR display was pointed out to me - I now have a tub of Dezember which I'm looking forward to trying out. Oh and an Arko stick. Why process one transaction when you can do three [emoji23]

Still OH can't whinge about the cost - she bought a car!
It was nice talking to you yesterday Mike. Enjoy your Tabula Rasa, the Dezember scent is rather nice.

Ian T said:
mikebrownington said:
I found myself in Ian's fine establishment today, was very restrained with just a bottle of Proraso green AS. Bought and paid and just about to leave until the TR display was pointed out to me - I now have a tub of Dezember which I'm looking forward to trying out. Oh and an Arko stick. Why process one transaction when you can do three [emoji23]

Still OH can't whinge about the cost - she bought a car!
It was nice talking to you yesterday Mike. Enjoy your Tabula Rasa, the Dezember scent is rather nice.

I liked the fragrance of the Dezember too but went for the Steampunk after much debate... Maybe next time I'll buy the two Ian. :s

And you Ian! I wasn't going to shave this morning but couldn't resist, I face lathered the TR using a reasonably dry NF Tubby 2 and got mountains of lovely lather, I possibly could have worked it a bit more but there was just so much I stopped less I make too much of a mess! It was nice and slippy and protective and my skin felt great afterwards. Scent is lovely and I kept picking up hints of it for a good couple of hours afterwards despite a generous splash of Proraso green AS.

All in all - wow.

Ian T said:
UKRob said:
Ian T said:
Hairsuite said:
I will persevere Ian, judging by everyone else's experiences it's not the soap, it's me!!

Might try a bowl lather...
Hi Cyril , I think because of it's unique consistency some do have trouble lathering, it does work much better when this consistency is broken down fully. The company do recommend palm lathering, but personally I've had no problem bowl lathering (try adding an extra few drops of water to the mix, as it may help to change the consistency quicker) . Check out Mike's 101 review though it is worth a look, he also palm lathers. Hope it works out for you and you can fully experience the Tabula Rasa.

Not one for straight razor users then.
Hi UkRob, It does give a very slick protective abundant lather perfect for the straight razor and bowl lathering will work with this soap once the consistency has been changed, if this is your preferred method. However if palm lathering once you have the brush fully loaded you should have enough good workable lather to complete several passes.
It was the palm lathering I was referring to - with a straight you either use two hands and stretch skin with the other, or in my case shave with one but still use the other for stretching. Either way, Palm lathering is not an option.

mikebrownington said:
And you Ian! I wasn't going to shave this morning but couldn't resist, I face lathered the TR using a reasonably dry NF Tubby 2 and got mountains of lovely lather, I possibly could have worked it a bit more but there was just so much I stopped less I make too much of a mess! It was nice and slippy and protective and my skin felt great afterwards. Scent is lovely and I kept picking up hints of it for a good couple of hours afterwards despite a generous splash of Proraso green AS.

All in all - wow.
Hi Mike glad you are enjoying using the TR :)

UKRob said:
Ian T said:
UKRob said:
Ian T said:
Hairsuite said:
I will persevere Ian, judging by everyone else's experiences it's not the soap, it's me!!

Might try a bowl lather...
Hi Cyril , I think because of it's unique consistency some do have trouble lathering, it does work much better when this consistency is broken down fully. The company do recommend palm lathering, but personally I've had no problem bowl lathering (try adding an extra few drops of water to the mix, as it may help to change the consistency quicker) . Check out Mike's 101 review though it is worth a look, he also palm lathers. Hope it works out for you and you can fully experience the Tabula Rasa.

Not one for straight razor users then.
Hi UkRob, It does give a very slick protective abundant lather perfect for the straight razor and bowl lathering will work with this soap once the consistency has been changed, if this is your preferred method. However if palm lathering once you have the brush fully loaded you should have enough good workable lather to complete several passes.
It was the palm lathering I was referring to - with a straight you either use two hands and stretch skin with the other, or in my case shave with one but still use the other for stretching. Either way, Palm lathering is not an option.
Hi UKRob, the TR will perform bowl or face lathering too, but if you do decide to use a palm lather technique as a straight razor shaver your only option would be to fully load your brush then rinse lather off palm, the TR thick creamy lather should not breakdown and be plentiful enough to complete a straight razor shave. Possible not the best method for you, but if you get TR do try all three methods with the soap.

I am getting annoyed now! :) I had another go today, is it just mine that does not lather for toffee?

I say mine, I have given it away already! Bloody stuff, leaves the face nice after use, but loading the brush with a hazelnut sized glob and having to reload for the final pass, Wha Burst Tha Ba is welcome to it, he will be able to tell me if it's me or the Vetiver and Tangerine that is at fault!

Going back to the MdC, MWF and Supersmooth, those 3 remind me of the story of the magic porridge pot, I have to open the bathroom window before lathering it, just in case!

Hairsuite said:
I am getting annoyed now! :) I had another go today, is it just mine that does not lather for toffee?

I say mine, I have given it away already! Bloody stuff, leaves the face nice after use, but loading the brush with a hazelnut sized glob and having to reload for the final pass, Wha Burst Tha Ba is welcome to it, he will be able to tell me if it's me or the Vetiver and Tangerine that is at fault!

Going back to the MdC, MWF and Supersmooth, those 3 remind me of the story of the magic porridge pot, I have to open the bathroom window before lathering it, just in case!
Hi Cyril, One man's loss is another man's gain! :icon_razz:

Hairsuite said:
Face feel post shave is ace Ian, just wish I got the masses of lather everyone else seems to get!
It is a pity that the TR soap didn't work out for you Cyril, as once you get it going it is a terrific soap.

Hi Cyril, you mentioned in an earlier post that you liked the scent of Steampunk and that it may have been next on your list to purchase. As a good customer of mine, if you would like to pop into the shop when next in town, I will put one aside for you to collect. TR do make in a single batch and then add the scent, so results for you may be the same. Be a shame if you cannot get to experience this soap In full! If it's still not working for you, just simply return to me Cyril.

Kindest regards
Ian

Hairsuite said:
Thanks Ian! Have you seen this by the way??

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PdR1qhIGdIc

Some of the soap experts may correct me if I'm wrong but it might go off having added water.

I had a cream for my skin that mixes with water but you can't make up too much as it goes off or gathers bugs etc. The off the shelf cream ready mixed with water has a preservative in it.

Maybe distilled water would be okay or a small batch.

Hairsuite said:
Thanks Ian! Have you seen this by the way??

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PdR1qhIGdIc
Never felt the need to have to do this with TR , I do agree the consistency has to be broken down fully (changed) I did this to a degree when I bowl lathered adding few extra drops of water to the mix to change consistency when building the lather, but found it easy to work with face and palm lathering. How much fun is this soap!! :icon_razz: whatever your preferred technique once you find out which way is best for you, this soap will repay you for your perseverance. TR for me sits firmly as one of the best shaving soaps I've used.

I've just seen what you meant in the earlier PM about the watered down TR, Brian. I'm with Ian, soak brush, load, straight to face and add water to brush as required. Cracking cream/soap. I can't understand why you can't lather this Cyril? It's not like you live in Dover, you have the lovely soft Strathmore water coming out your tap! ;)

Back
Top Bottom