Speick Stick Reformulation

Just ordered another 5. Was gobsmacked by the performance while away. Not fancy .....but so good

Speick, Palmolive, Wilinson Sword and Arko all work great for me but the Speick scent stands out as quite unique, the performance of the Wilkinson Sword I find a smidgen better, but they are all terrific performers - just delighted when I use any one of them. Fear of running out, took hold and I ordered a few more just to be on the safe side... :)

Just tried to buy the vegan Version on Amazon. It would appear that the new packaging is also being used for the Tallow soap as well. You need to search around and check ingredients to get what you want

Why? That would be like eating a Dodo bird steak at this point. My days of chasing after discod. soaps are long gone. Each week a new artisan enters the market to fill the void. Life will go on.
I’m definitely not per se chasing - more of a ‘it would be nice to try’ - and if opportunity comes along to grab one at normal and not overkill price then I will! I grabbed 2 speick sticks to try, same as will place order for 2 Lea ones. On top of that got two tabac, one Wilkinson sword, one arko and one Palmolive.

On mention of discontinued - I think only one mainly comes to mind - irisch moos stick

It's not all a moral stance in my opinion Mike , I am in a slightly different part of the industry , and what we are seeing is a huge uptick in demand for Animal Free Products , the more of the portfolio that is switched to animal free , the less inclined people are to run mixed plants , as the clean down between Animal and Animal free is more stringent. The toll manufacturers are the same they don't want to handle animal ingredients.

To me it is beautiful marketing as well , you get to sell about five years worth of the old formula to the die hards , and open up your product to a larger and younger market , a no brainer really.

On a slightly different issue, I can say that I'm a victim of buying into the message "animal fat is bad for human consumption" "eat margarine instead of butter" " butter is from animal fat and that is bad for you." We still see marketing slogans like "I can't believe is not butter" or simply name them with other names instead but they are margarines. I remember when margarines tasted so bad but we made the decision to switch because animal fat was bad for us. All these year believing that was a fact. When my diabetes got so bad last year and I began to research an alternative treatment to all the pills the doctor had me taking I learned to my total surprise that animal fat was actually not bad for humans, in fact, fats from sunflower for example, high in transfats, are responsible for many health problems including inflammation, fatty liver, etc and diabetics were actually encouraged to eat butter, specially butter from grass fed animals.
The only non animal fats that I still eat are olive and coconut oil, and avocado.

On the shaving soap front, I'm quite happy to use either base, PAA do vegan soaps and I rate them highly but I will not stop using soaps that have tallow because some people have an agenda against animal products.

On a slightly different issue, I can say that I'm a victim of buying into the message "animal fat is bad for human consumption" "eat margarine instead of butter" " butter is from animal fat and that is bad for you." We still see marketing slogans like "I can't believe is not butter" or simply name them with other names instead but they are margarines. I remember when margarines tasted so bad but we made the decision to switch because animal fat was bad for us. All these year believing that was a fact. When my diabetes got so bad last year and I began to research an alternative treatment to all the pills the doctor had me taking I learned to my total surprise that animal fat was actually not bad for humans, in fact, fats from sunflower for example, high in transfats, are responsible for many health problems including inflammation, fatty liver, etc and diabetics were actually encouraged to eat butter, specially butter from grass fed animals.
The only non animal fats that I still eat are olive and coconut oil, and avocado.

On the shaving soap front, I'm quite happy to use either base, PAA do vegan soaps and I rate them highly but I will not stop using soaps that have tallow because some people have an agenda against animal products.

I am the same regarding fats. I now use either butter, ghee or lard for cooking now and real butter for spreading.
Everthing now tastes better as well.
I have a drawer in the freezer just for butter and lard.

I am the same regarding fats. I now use either butter, ghee or lard for cooking now and real butter for spreading.

I must admit that I had never heard of this stuff before. I Googled it and...................very interesting. :unsure:

I must admit that I had never heard of this stuff before. I Googled it and...................very interesting. :unsure:
Ghee is clarified butter that has been cooked for longer to give it a more intense flavour. Clarify your own butter by heating it up and scimming the scum off the top then pouring it out leaving the crud at the bottom of the pot.
It's great and you can fry at quite a high temperature without burning.

It's good stuff, reasonably easy to make at home as well. It's basically just clarified butter, but in the UK you can buy it in a tub from Asian supermarkets.

Lard? I've not seen that mentioned as a cooking fat for a while. I've used it for roast potatoes with excess fat from a roast, a much higher boiling/burning point than other fats.

It's good stuff, reasonably easy to make at home as well. It's basically just clarified butter, but in the UK you can buy it in a tub from Asian supermarkets.

Lard? I've not seen that mentioned as a cooking fat for a while. I've used it for roast potatoes with excess fat from a roast, a much higher boiling/burning point than other fats.
I use it in my chip pan, lasts much longer than vegetable oils without going rancid an if you move the cold pan you don't spill oil everwhere. (y)
I also use lard for roast spuds.

No you're right. The Asian market primarily produces Stearic Acid from palm oil, not as much from animal byproducts (in the west it's a mix of animal or plant sources so there's no knowing). So, avoiding beef byproducts may well be sealing the fate of some orang utans or indigenous people. Informed ethical choices are nigh on impossible these days, and unfortunately palm oil is in almost everything, from cheap peanut butter to shaving cream, shampoo, ready meals, Doritos ... just cos it came from a plant doesn't mean some illegal logging companies didn't kill some primates or cut down some rainforest to grow it.

Back
Top Bottom