SOTD w/c Sat 31st Dec '11 - Fri 7th Jan '12 incl.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old Marshall Fields badger
1958 Executive/Wilkinson Sword Edge (NOS)
Valobra shave stick
Caron 'Yatagan' AS (1970s version)

First time trying this soap after years of reading good reviews for it. Had this stick for a few years and it finally called to me this morning.

Very nice product that thankfully has only a mild and clean soapy scent.....one I could use every day if needed. Had to reload my beard after the third pass, but that was because I didn't use enough to begin with. This stuff performed well for me (excellent post shave skin care) and I'm gonna put this in my ever growing rotation........sheesh.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Valobra stick 002 (Small).jpg
    Valobra stick 002 (Small).jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Valobra stick 001 (Small).jpg
    Valobra stick 001 (Small).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 22
Gillette Slim Adjustable on 7, 5, 3 with G7o'C Sharp Edge ("Yellow")
Valobra almond cream (thanks Dodgy)
TOBS Shaving Shop aftershave gel

Third shave with this blade. Very smooth today and more comfortable. I think the second or third shave with these is far better than the first.

New Years:
(can't stop buying them!)
Razor: Gillette '04 'D' 1916
Blade: Gillette Orange, Vietnam
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Brush: Boar
Soap: Tobac
Aftershave: Dickinson witch hazel
Nice shave-love those '04's

New post format for a new year. Since I want to be Mikael when I grow up ;).

This evening:

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (1)
Cream: RSC double concentrated (tube)
Brush: Neep #55 soapstone badger
Result: pretty good, one small nick on jawline (no styptic needed)

Slightly hurrying - not that smart with a new Feather blade - probably hence the nick. Tried the cream spurred on by the travel kit thread. It's ok but in no way exciting or interesting, on first impression.

First shave of 2012 and was GLORIOUS!
Jabonman violet shaving soap/Semogue finest badger/Edwin Jagger DE86 with Astra/Weleda Balsam
P1230526.jpg

Jabonman is a spanish artisan soapmaker who makes BRILLIANT shaving soaps.This one its not an exception.

Merkur 38B
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (3)
TOBS Coconut Oil Cream
Kent BK4
Trumpers Lime Skin Food
TOBS Jermyn Street Cologne

Not the greatest shave, the blade starting to drag a bit at the end. But the Trumpers Coconut is a great cream, the best Trumpers cream I have tried so far

First shave of 2012

EJ DE89
Derby
EJ Badger
St James Cedarwood and Clarysage
Ogallala Bay Rum, Sage and Cedar
T and H Trafalgar Cologne

Not a BBS shave but decent enough, love the St James scent and the splash and cologne (along the same lines but sweeter) complimented it.

Monday 2nd Jan 2012 lunch time

R101 2011 & Wilkie (#3 and out)
Semogue LE
Palmolive
Sulwhasoo
Amouage Opus III

Two passes and touch ups, near bbs (but I never cared about that thing anyway). The Sulwhasoo range is doing an exceptional job, it has put to shame most of the moisturisers I've used so far.

Used a couple of new products today, face scrub, body scrub and body soap, from this English co. I discovered the other day here. Their products are sold in the Hyundai dept. store in downtown Ulsan.

Company name is "Lush", I suppose you guys know them and the fact that I've never hear anything about them raises suspicion, thought about asking our Sharon but gave them a try anyway. Their hard 'hair soap' looks ok so far (and saved me from the other shampoo I had brought here with me, that one was giving me dandruff), tried their lemon & coconut body scrub, their black face scrub, got a bath soap as well (that one smells nice)...

Back to work tomorrow, this or the next one will be a critical week...

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: New Forest, high mountain badger
Razor: Otto Busch, Weltmeister
Soap: Nannys French Lavender
AS: Mennen, SB
Edt: Kenzo, L'euapar
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean:D

008800x553.jpg

... and some:
009800x715.jpg

Morning...or rather afternoon gents. Got to love these lazy bank holidays.

Hot shower
Proraso pre/post
Vitos coconut - first time with this, liked the scent although I found it more almond than coconut
Muhle R89
Feather blade
Alum
T&H Trafalgar aftershave splash

Three passes, WTG, XTG x2. Damn near BBS, very happy.

Loving the Muhle, I think it's neck and neck with my Merkur 39c at the top of my favourite list. I'd read that people sometimes have difficulty lathering Italian soft soaps, I had no issues today, thick and slick lather.

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Marshall Fields 2 band
Kirby/Wilkinson Super Sword (NOS)
Nanny's cedarwood/vetyver hard soap (applied like a stick)
Malizia Vetiver AS

Every couple of months the Kirby pull becomes strong, which brings me to this morning's shave. Tried it with a different blade than usual, and a different soap as well. Both are good items I've used in other shaves. Plus, I wanted to revisit the soap again, this time applied like a stick. I figured it being on the soft side would make it easy to use that way, which was correct. Very nice results.

This blade's sharpness rates between an Iridium and a Feather, and that means I need no pressure when using this chunky old French/English thing. The Kirby's a bit handle heavy, which is fine in this case as that's all the weight needed to provide against any skips or chatter.

I can't actually feel the blade on my face when everything works out perfectly, but I'm very aware of something sharp on my face. It can be easy to cross the line into complacency during the shave, which I found in the past to be bad.....very bad. Now I pay close attention to each stroke...... I try to avoid creating divots that take two weeks to heal up.

Left myself with one extremely faint red spot that only required cold water to make it go away. I gotta admit to being pleased with the lack of any red color in the nice looking lather. Took longer than usual to shave, and every moment was a treat.

BBS results,

Martin

Attachments

• Kirby out of box.jpg
    Kirby out of box.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 26
Tall_Paul said:
Nice looking razor Martin.

Why, thank you Paul,

The Kirby turned out to probably be my favorite change of pace razor. Found the thing maybe 3 years back at a flea market near Chicago of all places. I believe a few other TSR members use this model as well.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom