SOTD w/c Sat 14th April - Fri 20th April ...

Shower
Qed rose glycerine based
2213 made more lather than I could shave the whole street with.
English Gillette blade
Of some sort.
Cold water
Lush prince cream
Little rough today. Im not sure how old the blade is....
Yes
Slackbladder

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Rooney badger
'Webly'/Wilkinson (NOS)....thanks Jamie
TSD coconut SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Roger and Gallet L'Homme 'Sport' EdT

Another nice shave with this old blade. Forgiving, but still on the sharper side.

BBS results,

Martin

Also after a 1-2 minute towel prep...

Proraso pre shave
Nanny's Down Home Summer (I was one of the lucky gannets!)
EJ DE89 / Gillette Super Silver (last use, I think)
Alum
Speick aftershave
Boots No. 7 Balm

Very nice, comfortable shave today. Lovely lather from Nanny's soap. This is my first test of one of hers and it whipped up a lovely silky foam. I will provide her proper feedback on the soap, but the scent is quite hard to define... I get a sort of cross between peanuts and ginger, but this is probably my nose! It is quite a green smell, but if it's evocative of summer, I would put it as late September sunshine rather than early summer shoots. I need to use it a few more times to make up my mind, I think but the quality of the shave is not in doubt.

I would also mention that the razor became draggy again during the shave. I definitely added enough water to the soap - the foam was exactly right for my tastes. On closer inspection (i.e. when I stopped to give the head a rub) I could see that it was almost a thick oil - rubbing just pushed the coating around, rather than lifting it off. Am wondering whether the proraso could be a cause... when I rinse my hands in the hard water it immediately separates and forms a scum on the surface. Could it be collecting on the head of the razor I wonder?

However... end result was lovely. Really enjoyed my shave today.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Muhle 25 mm silvertip
Razor: Iwisaki
Soap: Provence Santé
AS: Ogallala L&P
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

0131024x680.jpg

... and:
003700x581.jpg

Friday morning... Well, been doing this straight razor thing for a couple of months. As I was going through DE withdrawal the AM, I had to take out the Merkur Vision and have a go at it.
Razor: Merkur Vision
Blade: Astra
Brush: Badger
Preshave: Noxzema plus
Soap/Cream: Old Spice Cream
AS: Clubman Bay Rum
Lotion: Nivea sensitive
Shave was great! One pass WTG and it was almost perfect. God I missed the DE's . Nice to know that I can do the 'open' thing but it is work.

Friday

37C with Gillette 7 o'clock black
EJ pure badger
TOBS avocado cream
Ogallala bay rum (limes and peppercorns)
RSC soothing balm

Comfortable and smooth. Couple of small weepers reminded me how careful i have to be ATG on my neck.

Fatboy replated in gold on 6 with Super Thin Platinum (3rd shave)
L'occitane Cade shower gel pre=-shave
Nanny's new soap - Down Home Summer

Received a very kind PIF sample of this from Sharon. I've never tried one of her renowned soaps. A good introduction - the soap has a grassy, earthysmell which I can't properly describe (I'm not good at this anyway) and lathers fantastically with lots of cushion and good moisturising.
The rest of the shave was very nice too.

This morning:

Prep: Face wash, Imperial Leather bath soap
Razor: Feather Artist Club RG (wood), Pro blade (6)
Brush: Neep #947 yew ball and bobbin silvertip badger
Soap: Provence Sante verlaine
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger
Scent: Penhaligon's Endymion
Result: damned fine

Very pleasant soap, this. As I suspected, the red ginger cross-fades nicely into the Endymion.

Parker SR1 shavette
Racer saloon blade (2)
Omega 49 with Erasmic stick as pre shave
Omega 40652 imitation badger
VDH de luxe
Thayers Rose Petal
ARKO A/S cream Sport

Changed the angle to some 30 degrees, works even better this, as i get a closer shave. Just like yesterday nothing from the alum block. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom