Feather AS - D1
Feather Blade 3
Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super
Vito's Coconut & Almond
Alum + Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
Botanics Moisturiser SPF 15
L'Occitane Cedre L'Atlas

Plus my favourite knife, my Mucsta LMC 120D, one of 80 pieces made number 5 of 80.

Jamie.

Great shave today, weather very cold, but clear and bright perfect winter weather as far as i'm concerned, you can always wrap up and keep warm, if my old Fox Terrier was a little younger I would give him a long walk, but he's willing in mind, but about two miles is his physical limit these days, still he really enjoys it there were times in the past where he would walk 10 - 15 miles without even blinking a eye, old age catches up with us all.

003-1.jpg

Saturday:

Merkur HD 34c
Perma-sharp super
'Keith' 2 band badger
Coate's Lime cream
Acqua di Parma colonia

I was enjoying this shave so much, I went for a 3rd pass rather than my usual two.

Super smooth.

Saturday:

Edwin Jagger black badger
Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet soap
Merkur 37C slant
7 o'clock yellow
Penhaligons BB cologne

This soap is still awful but I persevere because it was a present from a loved one. Got to show willing.
Despite sub standard lather the slant came through and I'm very smooth.

Saturday:

The long slow Saturday shave, pretty much the only time of the week that I aim for a BBS shave.

Hot shower
Proraso pre/post
Muhle R89
Red Personna (3)
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Alum & Witch Hazel
Nivea Replenishing ASB
T&H Trafalgar splash

Three passes and touch up resulted in a very, very smooth shave. No irritation, no drama...great! :icon_mrgreen:

Gillette Toggle on 3 with:
Polsilver
English Wilkinson Sword
Personna Medical Prep blade
Shark stainless

Trainman kindly lent me a Toggle to try. Great looking and like the toggle mechanism although found the blades didn't quite seat properly; this may be a user rather than hardware error though. All these blades (getting 3/4 of a pass each) seemed to produce a very aggressive shave; the Polsilver (such a smooth blade in my Fatboy) on setting 3 in the Toggle felt like setting 7 or 8 on my Fatboy! I like to start at 6 and work down in twos so this wasn't great, but I was warned about the aggression. Lovely razor though.
I will give it another try with just one blade on setting 1 tomorrow and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Shavemac, 30 mm of pure luxury
Razor: Double Duck by Puma
Soap: MWF
AS: Prada
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

001800x631.jpg

... my new "naked" espresso porta filter (having trouble to get a good shot though ...):
011800x580.jpg

NotTheStig said:
Gillette Toggle on 3 with:
Shark stainless

Trainman kindly lent me a Toggle to try. Great looking and like the toggle mechanism although found the blades didn't quite seat properly; this may be a user rather than hardware error though. All these blades (getting 3/4 of a pass each) seemed to produce a very aggressive shave; the Polsilver (such a smooth blade in my Fatboy) on setting 3 in the Toggle felt like setting 7 or 8 on my Fatboy! Lovely razor though.

I will give it another try with just one blade on setting 1 tomorrow and I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Hey buddy what's doin,

Hmmm, now that's an odd thing about how much bite the Toggle has. I woulda thought the #3 setting to be much milder than what you described. Both Toggles I've used have only added one higher setting to the bite factor of my Fatboy.

You mentioned something about the blade seating issue...no idea what's up there. Maybe that's part of the problem somehow?

When you next use the razor on the #1 setting, it should be extremely (too) mild. If not, then I think something may be screwy here.....possibly overclocking. It's easy to fix if that's the deal, but who knows right now.

Hope this helps,

Martin

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

old Marshall Fields badger
Hoffritz slant/Wilkinson Super Sword (NOS)
Rivivage SS used as a stick
Kramperts Finest bay rum AS
Storer 'Monk' EdP (old juice)

Can't remember the last time the Hoffritz was dragged outta the arsenal. I'm guessing it called me today because of all the press it's been getting recently. Damned hypnosis technique or something like the damn enabling bastards here taking advantage of my squishy brain.

This is the wrong blade for the Hoffritz. used it for the whole shave, but it wasn't the finest experience. Seemed like I needed to pay more attention than I prefer, and the shave itself wasn't as comfortable as I thought it was gonna be. Oh well, maybe try the Iridium next time and see what happens.

BBS results,

Martin

muhle r41
personna med prep
shavemac #25 silvertip
truefitt and hill lavender shaving cream
boots no7 post shave recovery balm
myrsol agua balsamica

first shave with the r41 and i absolutely love it. i expected blood and got none apart from a couple of weepers that went with a cold water splash. got a wonderful close shave and surprised myself with such a good shave. stunning.

Back
Top Bottom