SOTD: Saturday January 7 - Friday 13 January 2023.

Saturday 7 January

Dragged old Enoch out today, thought I’d start a week of SE shaves. It never fails me, looks good, great weight and paired with a Captain Titan Mild 2nd use blade is my go to combo. RazoRock Stallion soap creamily applied with my well used Culmak junior badger. Still a soft brush after losing a bit of height with age, bit like me I guess. Two passes and pick ups for a very acceptable shave. Old Dr Johnson and his mates have the look of someone who lost a pound and found a penny. Or maybe someone had just pissed in their beer :ROFLMAO:
I love the vast array of names given to shaving products and wonder about the image that these might convey to users. For example, RR Stallion! = Strong, masculine and quick, although if someone said you smelt like a horse I doubt this would be taken as a compliment. Reminds me of the wonderful Hancock’s half hour shows. In one he sucks heavily on a cigarette and exclaims, “Dreadnought, for men!” Then coughs his guts up. Are there any Dreadnought shaving products out there? If not there should be, name of the WW1 battleship class, so = strong and virile, used a lot by sailors which of course all the nice girls like.

Enough of my ramblings, have a great weekend fellas!

View attachment 98565
Ha ha! I remember that Hancock episode!
To steal one quote for my own purposes: "This shaving forum lark's a wonderful hobby, y'know. I've got friends all over the world, all over the world . . . none in this country, but friends all over the world."

Saturday AM 2023-01-07
Birthdate in 1910 of architect Stanley Clark Meston, designer of McDonalds Golden Arches
2cDTWdq.jpg

Rooney 3/2 Ebony Finest (24/54)
Art of Shaving Sandalwood shaving soap (tallow)
Paradigm Diamondback/UFO Titan Fine
Wilkinson London Bridge (1)
Paco Rabanne aftershave
Pi7W0PF.jpg
tt1fihM.jpg

Saturday 7th January

zKrV8Qnt61PjfYlwLkZXCSfSyHI158VpaYW6URVgjjw1sUleBWEI3qRqs24Aq4VWifaQw4BZ1TrcGuh4xHEskD4-1jJjhTP7PKt__HIqWGXCvkdqXR1bLOftcBBOJBJyWwQRjT6h-YfHrzNlUcO42tk8z-nrQlwDnEndmqv4KbeNZN3ul-HOw7gkB3gQjr-xlojCllX78emI-LxBWHwkHNxFKyzvzs23ssKzGpv7arKVPFMHPco8d6I1fx82cnsp7ymBnRxJm0kpYf_B6XIlyG9EIzRUdRDq2Z2MnBWWtp_NF7CeaMFTn2R8wl-camVZfRSoi5c3lmSsVvKnRZx-R4r-OxlviRLb71r0Uw53V0wcMBA0yftRojTYA8G2v55dAWVTeokOyt_qFdhUiWku7HtNhE7PKmUfIZqnT8ycAP-F-uOuvk8F82IVf32gIFgVqP-2b-NkuqiR0rzQjbxbkMgSKDb1Bxuc--CGkcWWdMUufuHXTEoCXqdHHC6LTQ7TTWUCQMmVc9SnyE-NZStPAEOyEyqVEFGtu39iOEvxdk3-mgsNYpwqaGbMGrW9VBXUeZD4oDVYWtI3c7BKNGGPeDvAJnHCbrT6apA7QKlpgdYD9KsKikZjKVNtIXacd9QPru1PvsDRMvPd82oNaRjhXtjf1SXf2-4GV39qak58A0mE32asOgaJzQiweh_v2ZQh58JClFaRjrtGRVSYNYR7uBh5Bs4eCIrQaXI4lZiJ8WTvcO1XogsRTnaxKgL6xmsSsvlN69Xzyg2lq7105OVwSzKkn_rfkh4lPfIC0xLt1X4bFqgq1bIlqMO9VBpdvKUQhX8_n0srJUvWm6bbfrbmK_UmvpmV818tv1rvXrQvAKR-1DTlwI3Gh3QRCFVbqFZDn11JsCqISKijYaL7pIhIF9WPb6lyN5FYJq5RB4_6GykORA=s800

Ganders Goat Soap w/Hop, Sage & Birch
Cella Crema da Barba & Omega 21762 Italian Flag Boar 27mm
Gillette Ranger Tech & V12 Super Platinum
Jovan Musk Aftershave Cologne

Jeez! I've got a queue of new stuff to try out ...

I've been having a bit of an Italian soap week, prompting the purchase of the Italian Flag Omega brush which arrived a couple of days ago and it seemed only right to continue with Italian soaps to try it out properly. Tonight, the baseline Italian soap: Cella. Tomorrow, same srill but with the best Italian soap: 3P.

Concordant with my experience of Omega, the brush was immediately usable and immediately likeable. In use, it's floppier than the longer handles 10098 but nowhere near as super-floppy as my HJM knot. There's a good scritch in it, too, giving it a character distinct from my other big Omega brushes. Yeah! It's a good 'un!

Much thanks to @Palmolive fox for the blade, which is another that I like. It's not quite as smooth or refined as, say, SuperMax's primary Super Platinum offering but it is very good! Sharp, more akin to the good Lancet Super Platinum and on that, probably a very good alternative as that blade is no longer available. More sharp than smooth and will likely pan out to deliver consistent shaves across the life of the blade with that longevity coming from the platinum edges. Yeah! That's a good 'un, too!

I've been taken a bit by surprise with this Ranger Tech. I had not expected to like it, what with it being for all intents and purposes an unfinished Rocket. I'm not that bothered about TTO razors, having built up a solid collection of Gillettes to sell them all off an buy back in a British Rocket HD a couple of years later out of curiosity. Yep! Not that bothered about TTOs, but this one is the execption that proves that rule. Yeah! Another good 'un!

My new Bath House soap will have to wait ... Monday, with an even posher razor.

Enjoy your weekend fellows!

Last edited:
Welcome to my first shave for this new week of SOTD's and welcome to one themed, 'Tatara Masamune OC. Fine toothed comb or comb over?'

20230107_200836.jpg

Cutting teeth - Tatara Titanium Masamune OC
Sharp toothed - Polsilver Lodz
Tooth fairy - Cadman 24mm Tuxedo
Tooth paste - Bath House Orange flower
Long in the tooth - Me

'I only came here for a bloody shave'

More fascinating titanium facts. Named after the Titans who were banished from the upper world and imprisoned in Tartarus. Coincidence :unsure: ? Food for thought. It also happens to have a thermal expansion of 8.6 µm/(m⋅K) (at 25 °C)

So here I am on the second phase of the kindly loaned Tatara Titanium collection. In this case the Masamune Open Comb, which seems to make sense to me after going down the SB road last night. Somewhere in my illogical world some logic does exist. I am sure somewhere in the world of turds I also get a mention.

Open combs. Not really my forte and despite people assuming they are aggressive (I guess bare teeth at anyone and they assume 'nasty bastard') my general experience has shown them to be rather milder than looks dictate. I really thought the OC version of the Ikon B1 would see me skinned to the bone, but against what I might have thought it actually turned out to be a real shaving fairy. And that appears to be mainly my experience with OC's, the R41 being the exception. A murderers tool if ever.

Again the same Lodz blade and team lather in this case being the new Bath House Orange flower soap and the super Cadman brush. A really good turn out from the team and happily lathered to perfection. Next job, shift all that lathering effort.

First efforts don't really feel much different to the SB of last night, but I do feel I am having to put in slightly more effort to get the same level of results. A lot of that though I can put down to not being completely au fait with OC razors and lack a bit of experience here. I am not quite sure it has quite the level of precision the SB offers (something I have always liked about the Nodachi) but again is that due to that experience thing and a lack of? Probably.

But what matters is the end result and to this extent another superlative finish with a super smooth delivery. Again a first class end product and a beautifully perfect shave. Once again rewriting my shaving bible which used to say, heavy, aggressive and lots of blade on show is the way to go. A kind of revelation in the book of revelations.

Next in line is the Titanium Nodachi. Now this should be interesting being as I have two of the Stainless versions to draw a comparison with. In particular the dark version as the standard lives over in Yorkshire at the moment. Bring it on and let the battle begin. Another night.

Until then you need a dose of Japanese girly thrash to see you out of this one.......in this case some more from Toranoko Rammy who I have rather taken a liking to......because they are slightly bonkers

A fine toothed comb. I shall leave the comb over to my good self and my folically challenged head.

My first ebay razor, if anyone knows about what time period this razor comes from, I would be eternally grateful! I polished off some surface rust and found it still had an edge. I took a chance and taped up the spine, and went to work on the 10000 grit stone, which combined with some Rouge and a good stopping, produced a very good shaver! Very happy with the way the shave went, a touch of burn on my neck---- other than that a textbook shave!

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Hoffritz Finest
Brush: Omega Model 10048 THE PRO 48
Pre-Shave: Old School Cool #4 Pre-shave oil
Lather: Razorock Emperor
Aftershave: Razorock Emperor
Additional Care:
Jatai Blade Glide Plus
Hot towel
Pinaud Clubman Talc
Van Der Hagen Post Shave Balm https://shavingbuddies.com/shave/63ba41cd718a6562eace6e4b1000000678.jpg

Sun 8
Soap PAA Solstice
Brush Yaqi 22mm Ever-Helpful 2-Band Badger
Razor Dorko 43 Near Wedge
Aftershave Aqua Velva Musk
Beautiful lather qualities from this soap. Rich creamy and very slick... whip up nicely with the excellent stout brush...
This razor, I must admit is my best among all other SRs. The razor retains the jnat edge from 2 years ago and is still buttery smooth yet very keen...3 enjoyable passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
20230108_111450.jpg

SOTD: 8th January 2023.

2.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Tingly Mint & Tea Tree Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face
Pears Transparent Bar Soap with Mint Extracts.
Brush:
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: Proraso Sandalwood Shaving Cream.
Blade: Treet Black Carbon. (D2)
Razor: Snmirn Adjustable. (settings) 5-wtg,5-atg,6-pick-ups.

Cold water Face Wash with brush squeezing's, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./ P&G Hawkridge ASL. /Baylis & Harding Amber & Sandalwood ASB.

Greetings,

A relaxing Sunday morning shave.

Another wonderful match with the Treet Black Carbon paired together with the Snmirn adjustable feeling comfortably smooth and efficient.

The Treet Black Carbon are a wonderful blade. I have mentioned before the only low point that i have with them is the rust issue after 2-3 shaves. That said, this isn't a big issue as the two shave's I've had with it have been smooth sharp, and very comfortable.

I suppose i could wipe them with alcohol after each use, but the vast amount DE blades i have to use up and the in-expensive cost of them is a luxury that I can afford to waste, and bin them after two shaves.

A close comfortable 2 pass + pick ups shave with no errors to report. Finishing the shave off with a small dollops of Baylis & Harding Amber & Sandalwood ASB.

My face is feeling smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Keep safe, and enjoy your Sunday ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

Last edited:
Ha ha! I remember that Hancock episode!
To steal one quote for my own purposes: "This shaving forum lark's a wonderful hobby, y'know. I've got friends all over the world, all over the world . . . none in this country, but friends all over the world."
Classic Hancock, one of a kind, your modified quote was from The Radio Ham I think?:ROFLMAO:(y)

SOTD 08-Jan
20230102_110813.jpg
Brush: Captain
Soap: NO Plunder
Razor: Blackland Tradere
Blade: Gillette Rubie (1)

Excellent shave, nice relaxing one with another of my favourite NO scents. Really enjoy the smokiness from it. Also had to pick up some new blades (consumables don't count as a purchase), the rubies seem decent. I'm not convinced I'm sensitive enough to tell the absolute difference between the blades unless they're rough as hell, and these were not so really can't complain.

Hope everyone has a grand one.

Cheers

Marc

Back
Top Bottom