SOTD: Saturday January 14 - Friday 20 January 2023.

ZB5dC5D.jpg

Prep: Country Life Tallow/Lanolin/Glycerin Soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Soap: Barrister and Mann Sandalwood
Razor: Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Vintage NOS Aussie Spoiler (8)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Proraso Red Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood EdC

Why hello chaps. A late entry from this end to a new week of SOTD's. Blame drink and laziness. So a final entry from the world of Titanium and this shave starts my SOTD party for this week themed, 'Nodachi vs Nodachi vs Nodachi'. Let the battle commence...

20230115_172534.jpg

Charge of the light brigade - Tatara Nodachi titanium
Armies of darkness - Tatara Nodachi dark
Heavy artillery - Tatara Nodachi silver
Swordsman - 3 x Polsilver Lodz blades
Brushman - AP Shaving 24mm Cashmere
Lather wars - Bath House Orange flower
'Yes I know Toto. That Satanfriendly is a twat'

So let's get off to a good start with a Karaoke shave! Press play, and if the words don't fit just add any old shit in or hum along...

Thanks for the shaves that you've given me And my SOTD's were a pile of shite
Now I've come to the end of my titanium time
There's something I must say out loud

You're once, twice, three times a Nodachi
And I shaved with you
Yes, you're once, twice, three times a Nodachi
And I shaved with you
I love you

Our time together were moments I shall cherish
With every stroke across my hair
To touch you, to hold you, to feel you, to shave with you
And now my testicles are bare

You're once, twice, three times a Nodachi
And I shave with you
I love you

So a battle of the Nodachi's and a final outing with the Tatara Titanium gang before I have to pass them on to the next in line. Before I prattle on anymore I should firstly say that it really has been great fun having to shave with such an elite bunch of shaving accoutrements and then scribble something up at the end of it all. Plus it has been an education learning some wonderful facts about titanium. Facts I didn't know about until I explored Wikipedia. In which case they were probably all a pile of shit anyway.

And the titanium fact for today is.....it is a metal

Three geometrically identical razors, but three different material finishes. Technically speaking the shave should be identical for each, which it is, but it is how they differ in the face feel journey where the distinction lies. Am I talking rubbish? Probably. But I always do.

For this shave I just kept changing as I went along and remove all the palaver of one for the left, one for the right and one for..? The other right? Anyway..

General thoughts. Once again the results were all exactly the same (as expected) and a lovely smooth damn acceptable finish. I wouldn't expect lesser. However I will say out of three my preference lay towards the silver Stainless version. For the same reason as previous I just favour the heavier side of life and feel there is more control going on. I find with the titanium there is less of that 'let the weight of the razor' do its job and more of that 'make it work'. In comparison to the dark version it certainly feels smoother and less of a drag. The finish on the dark I find is more matt than say the high gloss proprietary finish of the black Ikon B1 which just glides down your face, and in this case there is a bit more stiction going on.

All this will come down to personal taste and preference at the end of the day. From what I have found for myself, titanium is a far better material for a light razor than aluminium where I have yet to meet anything which works for me. But given a choice my heart remains stainless (cold and hard). A bit like that old adage, 'the original and the best'. And it is.

Will I buy a titanium? Like I said before, if I was to, it would be the Masamune which impressed me no end, but to be honest I am more interested in the possibility of a Tatara SE. A nice heavy stainless one please.

So here I end my waffle and on the subject of three I may as well end with those super Japanese girlies Trident. Complete with their original drummer the over enthusiastic drummer Junna.....

Have a most wonderful week people and I love you all.

SOTD 16-Jan
20230116_082709.jpg
Brush: DG B15
Soap: Sir Henry Sandalwood
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: GSB (1)

This one was even better than the Kentucky in terms of scent, there seemed to be a slight relationship to B&M Sandalwood but there was also something slightly sweet in it, but not overly so and died down fairly swiftly. Take it with a pinch of salt mind, my nose is terrible. But this is definitely a keeper for me.

I'll give the quartet a bash tomorrow. I'd also been given generous samples of El Jefe, Black Velvet and Black & Tan. I'd initially asked whether it was possible to buy samples as I'd been on the fence between my initial selection and these. They immediately said don't worry we'll pop them in, can't argue with that service.

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc

Last edited:
16 January

Extro Bergamotto di Calabria
Yaqi Heavy Metal
Blackland Blackbird
Treet Platinum
Signature Soaps Hibernia splash

D688F2D0-F6BE-4B9D-B095-BE937B0FCA00.jpeg
A lovely lemon scent to this morning’s shaving ritual and a close and comfortable shave with the Blackbird. I have really enjoyed the Blackbird /Treet Platinum combination for the last three days.

SOTD 16-Jan
View attachment 99017
Brush: DG B15
Soap: Sir Henry Sandalwood
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: GSB (1)

This one was even better than the Kentucky on terms of scent, there seemed to be a slight relationship to B&M Sandalwood but there was also something slightly sweet in it, but not overly so and died down fairly swiftly. Take it with a pinch of salt mind, my nose is terrible. But this is definitely a keeper for me.

I'll give the quartet a bash tomorrow. I'd also been given generous samples of El Jefe, Black Velvet and Black & Tan. I'd initially asked whether it was possible to buy samples as I'd been on the fence between my initial selection and these. They immediately said don't worry we'll pop them in, can't argue with that service.

Hope everyone has a grand day!

Cheers

Marc
I've actually had him message me when I just placed an order for a single soap....He'd ask if there were any I was curious of that he could throw a sample in of. Dominic gives great customer service !

Back
Top Bottom