SOTD: Saturday April 22 - Friday 28 April 2023.

IMG_20230428_191312_684.jpg

SOTD

Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: The Goodfellas Smile Styletto
Blade: Viking’s Sword (1)
Brush: Simpson’s Chuuby 2 Sovereign Fibre
Soap: The Gentleman’s Nod Juniper Reverie
A/S: The Gentleman’s Nod Juniper Reverie

Chubby 2 in Butterscotch with the Sovereign synthetic knot is brilliant both in looks and performance. Gentlemen's Nod soaps are outstanding performers. Great lather and a lovely blend of scents. Looking forward to the weekend. Enjoy it.

Friday 28th April

AJFCJaUbZ7GcfFMM-uFZ3hi28OHTwjivuxsQnwZ4Kx8oPnABgDrxK43CCjFdwuePIroiMhgLi0W-HmBvJI0Yl-7lCEF05dyexiPLOok1vPlk0_DffxMVJN-9xS7QCbJAbndPL-Hc3PluNeJXW1iFp1Aqt3YgUQ=w800

Savonniere du Moulin Shaving Soap & DSC Professional w/Synbad Synthetic Fan 26mm
Merkur 37C & Wilkinson Sword (Brazil) Stainless (3)
Jovan Musk Aftershave Cologne

Continuing Artisan April ...

It is a Friday. It is the end of a shaving week and it only takes me to say, for my final entry for this week of SOTD's I am happy to present this evening's frolicking by the sink themed, 'Crossword'

20230428_194230.jpg

1.Across - Marilyn Monroe's misspelt razor
2.Down - But it's now 2100
3.Diagonally - black plastic above my person
4.Across - A definitive vulpes
5.Whatever - Some balm or other

'13 across. Satanfriendly, Daft T W, something, something'

A razor really on edge this evening. For some reason it felt like there was a lot of blade exposure as if it was ready to cut, slice, rip, shred, and generally not very friendly. The most aggressive I've known it for some time. But oddly it just delivered my shave of the week. Ridiculously close yet Ridiculously smooth, with a bit of a gentle approach in there somewhere. Even the Witch Hazel had a touch of sting. But one absolutely superb shave and a face like a piece of rubber. But I have anyway. And other bits as well apparently.

So the end of the week and I wish you forum folk a most bodacious of a bank holiday weekend. And of course, I love you all.

As my recently adopted tradition says it just has to be some puffyshoes...

And to maintain my promise. Over to the Beaver.......

13 across! T W something something! Of course, Turd

So, somewhat embarrassingly (because I've been in receipt of some remarkable generosity on here recently), I won ATG's PIF of some soaps, splashes and the OneBlade Core SE razor. It arrived just now, so a lunchtime shave was in order to try it out.

I've only used it once so far obviously so it's a bit early to make up my mind. My initial thoughts are it's an interesting idea and worth a go. It takes Feather SE blades, but NOT the Artists Club format. Also not half DE. They're the size of a DE blade but sharp on one edge and the other has notches. Described as Hi-Stainless. Kind of more like a spineless Gem or something. The razor itself is like a productionised version of one of those 3D-printed SEs.

The razor is very different to a DE. It has a swiveling plastic head and a plastic handle with a steel core to give it some heft. In point of fact the weight is irrelevant, because the way you use this is to do the opposite of everything you thought you knew about shaving. You apply pressure to the head, tilting it on its pivot, and allow the pivoting head to find its own angle. Long slow strokes without pre-stretching your skin. More like you would with a cartridge razor. It's a very mild shaver, which I guess it needs to be given that you need to push it into your skin. The blade seems very smooth. I had a comfortable 3- pass shave. The head design makes getting under your nose a bit awkward, I did so in 3 directions but really you need to go sideways across the top lip and filtrum area. Despite its mildness I still managed to nick myself once, as I slipped and inadvertently did a sideways slice. Butterfingers aside it's fairly hard to cut yourself though. The result of the 3 passes was good, not stellar on my first go. I think this format is sufficiently different in approach that a few more goes might be needed to get the best out of it. Actually, going back and feeling my face now, it feels as good as any. I take that back. This is a good close DFS.

I used the E&S Rasage Traditionell Oasis soap and matching splash Dan sent. This is described as "Fougère fraiche" which is exactly what it is, a lovely refreshing marine scent. Scent strength of the soap is only a 3/10 to me, not overpowering but very pleasant in use. I partially loaded the Phantom Aerolite with lots of water to 'pre-wet' my face while I was intending to work up a proper lather in the tub. However I realised that actually all I really needed to do was keep working the little soap I had loaded. It came up nicely into a very slick lather, enough for 3 passes on the big synth. Yes, I like the soap. The matching splash has alcohol and witch hazel. I felt a little indication from it after the shave, and enjoyed a much more potent blast of the seaside scent in the process.

So, early days but a very enjoyable first experience with the contents of Dan's box of wonders. Many thanks for your generous PIF Dan.
View attachment 104770
It's the same blade that many use in the Auto-Strop razors, I've used them myself in a VC-1 but didn't like it, it's not smooth or sharp IMO. I've heard you can modify a GEM blade for the OneBlade, but I have no experience with that razor.

It's the same blade that many use in the Auto-Strop razors, I've used them myself in a VC-1 but didn't like it, it's not smooth or sharp IMO. I've heard you can modify a GEM blade for the OneBlade, but I have no experience with that razor.

Believe it involves something like a pair of pliers and removing the spine

Believe it involves something like a pair of pliers and removing the spine
That reportedly worked with the first version of the all steel Genesis.
Didn't work with my Core for me. Even with snipping bits off the blade can fail if you miss, and on the code, the GEM blade can just glide through the blade stops when trying to load it.
So not advisable with the Core heads. Might be fine with the Hybrid and Genesis heads.
There are the Kai Best blades which fit (better when loaded with a specific side up), but while they sort of work, they aren't blades meant for shaving and they feel like it.

Back
Top Bottom